3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Advanced Bushido Task 3
Ben Higgins
Feb 9 2012, 11:54 AM
Instructor
Morning warriors. Stop playing in the snow and throwing snow balls at each other and come and listen to me for a minute..

I am pleased to present you with

Task 3: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Modal_...ntatonic_Scale/ but with a twist ! I want you to play this lesson using strict alternate picking all the way through. Playing 2 note pentatonic shapes in a triplet rhythm is a very tricky but incredibly cool way of doing things. People like John McLaughlin are masters at this and it's something I like to do myself, even if I haven't mastered it wink.gif

You have until next Thursday 16th February to present your take or my punishment will be most severe. I will take away your internet access and you will have to resort to... books. ph34r.gif

Enjoy, apprentices !

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maharzan
Feb 9 2012, 01:10 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Ah, nice!! I am discovering so many new things with these assignments otherwise would have skipped these lessons for sure. I will try my best to nail this down! Although I will have to pre inform that my baby might be coming home next week (from her grandparents/momside) so things will be really busy from now on. sad.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by maharzan: Feb 9 2012, 01:11 PM

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Feb 9 2012, 02:12 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
This is great! biggrin.gif You truly are wise, Sensei (not that any of us ever doubted that, but with every new Task you confirm that)!

This will, along with the previous Task greatly improve my pentatonic alternate picking, which was non-existent!

>_>

<_>

*throws snowball at Sensei when nobody's watching*

This post has been edited by Dinaga: Feb 9 2012, 02:21 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 9 2012, 03:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dinaga @ Feb 9 2012, 01:12 PM) *
*throws snowball at Sensei when nobody's watching*

Who did that ??? ph34r.gif

*shakes fist at Gitarrero*

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Feb 9 2012, 08:43 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Sensei, you know I am not an evil man...I speak german!

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 10 2012, 08:04 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Feb 9 2012, 07:43 PM) *
Sensei, you know I am not an evil man...I speak german!

Yes, but they spoke German in Die Hard.... laugh.gif

Just kidding.. I know who it really is... ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 10 2012, 10:58 AM
Instructor
How are you guys find this Pentatonic sequence ?

I'm currently working on a new GMC lesson of mine which uses a similar sliding position shift in the Pentatonic scale and it's quite challenging. smile.gif

+Quote Post
maharzan
Feb 10 2012, 11:17 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
I am practicing fingering. With the last I mostly used index/pinky. I am trying the one finger per fret thing on this one. I can do it at the lowest tempo backing now. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 10 2012, 11:20 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ Feb 10 2012, 10:17 AM) *
I am practicing fingering. With the last I mostly used index/pinky. I am trying the one finger per fret thing on this one. I can do it at the lowest tempo backing now. smile.gif

Great !! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Feb 10 2012, 01:54 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Feb 10 2012, 10:58 AM) *
How are you guys find this Pentatonic sequence ?

I'm currently working on a new GMC lesson of mine which uses a similar sliding position shift in the Pentatonic scale and it's quite challenging. smile.gif

After that Torture Machine (Bushido Lesson 2 - Killer Pentatonics), I find this one much easier. But the benefit of this lesson for me, besides mastering alternate picking the pentatonic scale is the *patterns*! Yes, I'm a noob and I only used three pentatonic patterns until now biggrin.gif, but now I will learn all five! The ironic thing is that I always wanted to do this but never found time. Sensei, you are a mind reader!!

This post has been edited by Dinaga: Feb 10 2012, 01:55 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 10 2012, 02:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dinaga @ Feb 10 2012, 12:54 PM) *
Sensei, you are a mind reader!!

Well.. I do keep reminding everybody at the end of each video chat that I know what they're doing at home... ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
Nimrandir
Feb 11 2012, 01:17 AM
GMC:er
Oh, that's something I can manage! smile.gif I think I'll get to full speed here in a couple of days. Going from high strings to low feels a bit easier, probably because of Task 2, and position changes happen slowly, so switching is not a big issue.

By the way, note that his guitar is tuned 1 step down, so he actually plays G minor pentatonic (and the backing track is in Gm also smile.gif ). Playing to backing track sounded weird before I noticed this tongue.gif

+Quote Post
maharzan
Feb 11 2012, 04:13 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
See thats what helps when you practice. smile.gif

I thought he was playing in Bm pentatonic position but since its full step down, he is just playing Am pentatonic. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Feb 11 2012, 08:30 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Ah now I know about Gm. I wasn't playing on my amp so I now hear the difference. smile.gif

And though this feels easy but it hurts my right arm. Sweet pain. I am being able to do 90% (is that in 100bpm?). The fingering (one note per fret) is getting confusing.. smile.gif

This post has been edited by maharzan: Feb 11 2012, 08:39 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 11 2012, 10:58 AM
Instructor
Oh yeah, I forgot that Zsolt tunes down ! wink.gif

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 11 2012, 08:04 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Position 3 and 4 are giving me the most trouble so basically I have been looping the backing and focusing on those 2 boxes to get them up to speed with the other positions that I can play faster more easily.Its been a while since I have practiced straight pentas this way so this is a great refresher as was the last task. Good call Bensei! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 11 2012, 08:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Feb 11 2012, 07:04 PM) *
Position 3 and 4 are giving me the most trouble so basically I have been looping the backing and focusing on those 2 boxes to get them up to speed with the other positions that I can play faster more easily.Its been a while since I have practiced straight pentas this way so this is a great refresher as was the last task. Good call Bensei! cool.gif

Yeah, probably because of having to shift the shape on the B string by a semitone ! It's all good practice ! smile.gif

Make you sure you guys keep up your strength and eat plenty of protein and drink lots of water. The snow and ice also saps your strength here in The Temple. ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
derper
Feb 12 2012, 04:02 AM
Learning Tone Master
I just got hip to this series Ben, but I really like this exercise an intend to start working on it immediately. It may be my next REC submission.

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 12 2012, 11:02 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (derper @ Feb 12 2012, 03:02 AM) *
I just got hip to this series Ben, but I really like this exercise an intend to start working on it immediately. It may be my next REC submission.

Cool - go for it ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Feb 13 2012, 01:28 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Is it weird that I find this Task harder to do with legato? ohmy.gif

This post has been edited by Dinaga: Feb 13 2012, 01:28 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:31 PM