3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Song 1 (heavy)
audiopaal
Sep 17 2009, 12:24 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Hi guys.

I recorded an intro to my initial idea, and added drums and bass..

This is what I've got so far: Attached File  Song_1.mp3 ( 3.29MB ) Number of downloads: 525

Please tell me what you think about it so far, what you'd like to change etc..? smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Sep 17 2009, 12:32 AM
Experienced Rock Star
Nice Intro Audio! Very melancolic entrance...At first there was a part that didn't feel right for me but I guess it was just the buffering laugh.gif

Sounds very pink floydish for some reason...The intro I mean.
Drums sound nice aswell, recording and mixing overall is nice. The second riff after the acoustic intro sounds very good, although I think the patterns for the connection could use some improvement. Do you mind explain how you recorded and what software you used, i really think your recording sounds good... smile.gif

Let's get recording more and complete songs please tongue.gif

EDIT: Sorry, only noticed it was on the virtual band section now smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Rated Htr: Sep 17 2009, 12:33 AM

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Sep 17 2009, 05:35 AM
Instructor
Awesome audiopaal great stuff, not much I could add, I'll start jamming along to your stuff see what I come up with

By the way what software do you use?

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Sep 17 2009, 06:26 AM
QUOTE (Rated Htr @ Sep 17 2009, 01:32 AM) *
Nice Intro Audio! Very melancolic entrance...At first there was a part that didn't feel right for me but I guess it was just the buffering laugh.gif

Sounds very pink floydish for some reason...The intro I mean.
Drums sound nice aswell, recording and mixing overall is nice. The second riff after the acoustic intro sounds very good, although I think the patterns for the connection could use some improvement. Do you mind explain how you recorded and what software you used, i really think your recording sounds good... smile.gif

Let's get recording more and complete songs please tongue.gif

EDIT: Sorry, only noticed it was on the virtual band section now smile.gif

Thanks mate smile.gif
Yeah, it's a very melancholic intro but I believe it fits the song pretty good..
Pink Floydish.. THANKS, hehe biggrin.gif

I agree that the connection between intro and first riff needs a little polish.
But we've only just begun, so hopefully that'll be better in the end smile.gif

QUOTE (Jose Mena @ Sep 17 2009, 06:35 AM) *
Awesome audiopaal great stuff, not much I could add, I'll start jamming along to your stuff see what I come up with

By the way what software do you use?

Thanks a lot smile.gif
Cool, do that and let us know what you come up with!

Software used on this recording:

DAW: Cubase Studio 5

Guitar: My electric guitar through a AMT Elctronics SS-20, straight into soundcard.

Bass: My electric bass through a AMT Elctronics SS-20, straight into soundcard (Not optimal, but it works).

Drums: Steven Slate Drums 3.0

Plug-ins:
Cubase built in Compressor (just a little..) on the Output Channel, and a little EQ on some tracks.

Nothing fancy, and I haven't mixed it properly yet either..
So I'm very pleased that you guys like the sound of it now, because it'll be much better in the end hopefully biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 17 2009, 08:20 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Again, great sound from the AMT

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Sep 17 2009, 08:52 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Sep 17 2009, 09:20 AM) *
Again, great sound from the AMT

Thanks smile.gif

QUOTE (Rated Htr @ Sep 17 2009, 01:32 AM) *
Do you mind explain how you recorded..

I believe I forgot to explain that part smile.gif

I usually start out with recording the guitars, to use tham as ghost tracks for the drums and bass..
Only one rhythm guitar is necessary.
After that is recorded, I program the drums which usually takes a while tongue.gif
When the drums are somewhat finished, I write and record the bass.
After that I re-record all the guitars to make them fit the drums perfectly.

After that I adjust volume on each track, and use small amounts of equalizer where I feel it's necessary.
I might change a few things on the drums, changing cymbals and whatnot..

When I'm all happy with this I start mixing with plug-ins and try to make the best sound I can with what I've got smile.gif

Hope this explained it properly smile.gif

+Quote Post
Iluha
Sep 17 2009, 09:13 AM
GMC:er
bass sounds a bit off at the intro but easy to fix.
and I also think the verse riff should end on like an higher phrase, resembling what I recorded with the bass.
other than that, I think the drums are great and the guitar sound is preety good and heavy too, this is a great start to working on this song smile.gif

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Sep 17 2009, 09:25 AM
QUOTE (Iluha @ Sep 17 2009, 10:13 AM) *
bass sounds a bit off at the intro but easy to fix.
and I also think the verse riff should end on like an higher phrase, resembling what I recorded with the bass.
other than that, I think the drums are great and the guitar sound is preety good and heavy too, this is a great start to working on this song smile.gif

I play a few extra notes (octave stuff) on the bass intro, so that might be the reason why it sounds off..
I'll have a listen again at the end of the verse riff and try your suggestion, although I think it will be better if it ends on bot a high and a low E (like the last riff).. But I'll try it out and see what sounds better smile.gif

Thanks Iluha smile.gif

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Sep 17 2009, 03:06 PM
Learning Roadie
wow, im liking this more and more smile.gif

just a question though... which parts a going to require singing over?

my idea would be (from what has been recorded there)....

Intro
Riff 1 (this would be the chorus)
Riff 2 (this would be the verse)

or is there going to be more parts to it?

----------edit----------
actually after listening to it over, i think riff 1 would be an excellent verse and Riff 2 an excellent pre-chorus or break

This post has been edited by muntahunta: Sep 17 2009, 03:08 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Dual EMG 81 Pickups. Size 11 Strings.
Ibanez GRG170DX w/ Scallopd frets 17-24 - w/ Dimebucker and APH-1.
Tanglewood TW28 STR DLX CE INDIANA Acoustic Guitar
NEW: Dean Deceiver w/ EMG 81/EMG 85 Pickups
Effects:
Pod XT Live AND Pod X3 Live
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

Fly From The Inside (Cover)
So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:
Chris Kerswell Soundclick Page

Check out Munta's Step By Step Songwriting Lesson

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Sep 17 2009, 03:28 PM
QUOTE (muntahunta @ Sep 17 2009, 04:06 PM) *
wow, im liking this more and more smile.gif

----------edit----------
actually after listening to it over, i think riff 1 would be an excellent verse and Riff 2 an excellent pre-chorus or break

Thanks smile.gif

Yes, that's what I'm thinking as well!
We just need to make a kickass chorus and we're set biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Sep 17 2009, 04:01 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Sep 17 2009, 03:28 PM) *
Thanks smile.gif

Yes, that's what I'm thinking as well!
We just need to make a kickass chorus and we're set biggrin.gif

ill try and write a melody for the verse part so you can see the idea i have for it... the words will come later, for now i'll just make random lines lol

ok, ive done a really quick verse recording of that, obviously its not great quality, i didnt bother setting up the things i'd usually record with since were still in the writing phase. If theres any good or bad comments feel free to change things, and the lyrics are just 5 seconds worth of writing lol.

Attached File  song1withvox1.mp3 ( 1.97MB ) Number of downloads: 346

--------------------
Guitars:
Effects:
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:

+Quote Post
Iluha
Sep 17 2009, 07:19 PM
It sounded more like a chorus than a verse.. and the second riff as a transfer to the verse.
I think the singing melody is fine for the first half of the chorus but on the other half it's just begging to change to be interesting.

Anyways I'm a bit confused, what exactly are we doing right now? are we getting like a sketch for the entire song and than start recording it seriously or what? :s

--------------------

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Sep 17 2009, 09:06 PM
I liked that smile.gif

If it'll be verse or chorus we have to decide once all the riffs have been written smile.gif
I like it as a verse though, at least for now!

What are we doing right now..
We're getting the parts down and when we all agree on the riffs and the order of them we start recording seriously smile.gif
If no one else has a better plan?

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Sep 17 2009, 11:49 PM
Learning Roadie
im happy with that.... anyone heard from colonel drew?

--------------------
Guitars:
Effects:
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Sep 18 2009, 07:57 AM
QUOTE (muntahunta @ Sep 18 2009, 12:49 AM) *
im happy with that.... anyone heard from colonel drew?

No.. Haven't heard from him at all.. sad.gif

I'll be recording some more this weekend, trying to get the final parts down.
I'm going to post it here on saturday or sunday, and then we can begin discussing
what parts are good, bad, needs changing etc.. smile.gif
If anyone else has a great idea for a riff that could fit the song, please record it and post it here!

Sounds good to everyone?

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Sep 19 2009, 04:48 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Iluha @ Sep 17 2009, 02:19 PM) *
It sounded more like a chorus than a verse.. and the second riff as a transfer to the verse.
I think the singing melody is fine for the first half of the chorus but on the other half it's just begging to change to be interesting.

Anyways I'm a bit confused, what exactly are we doing right now? are we getting like a sketch for the entire song and than start recording it seriously or what? :s

I Agree with Iluha here, it is good stuff for a chorus or like a bridge. Verses should be more laid back, we want to have contrast between chorus and verses. Normally by singing lower and more laid back on the verses and by bringing out the agressive vocals or higher pitch in the chorus.

Or maybe this could be one of the verses but later on.

--------------------
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Sep 19 2009, 07:51 PM
Instructor
So this is my suggestion, I had to do some drums and stuff so that you get the idea, but Audiopaals drums are fine.

So after the intro we start with the main riff, and everything should sound big, right after when the guitar goes down I say we do the riff with palm muting, I changed it a little bit but doesn't have to be this way.

The idea is to bring the song down, then the guitars come in as audiopaal played them. I had the thought that the chords should be changing so I played the riff but changed the root. This can probably be done only by the bass, the chord progression I used is a very simple one, but works, however suggestions are welcomed.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  arr1.mp3 ( 813.88K ) Number of downloads: 335

--------------------
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
Iluha
Sep 19 2009, 09:24 PM
QUOTE (Jose Mena @ Sep 19 2009, 07:51 PM) *
So this is my suggestion, I had to do some drums and stuff so that you get the idea, but Audiopaals drums are fine.

So after the intro we start with the main riff, and everything should sound big, right after when the guitar goes down I say we do the riff with palm muting, I changed it a little bit but doesn't have to be this way.

The idea is to bring the song down, then the guitars come in as audiopaal played them. I had the thought that the chords should be changing so I played the riff but changed the root. This can probably be done only by the bass, the chord progression I used is a very simple one, but works, however suggestions are welcomed.

That sounds great Jose, the song starting to get a proffesional sound to it.
I like the moving bass note idea.
I recorded a rough sketch of a bassline for this recording just to hear how it will sound, there's some mistakes but I think it came out ok overall.
I included also a file of only the bass track, I don't think I alligned it perfectly in the editor, plus maybe you want to play with the sound see what you can do with it tongue.gif

Attached File(s)
Attached File  basstrack2.mp3 ( 1.2MB ) Number of downloads: 259
Attached File  bassalone.mp3 ( 1.18MB ) Number of downloads: 254

--------------------

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Sep 19 2009, 10:20 PM
QUOTE (Iluha @ Sep 19 2009, 10:24 PM) *
That sounds great Jose, the song starting to get a proffesional sound to it.
I like the moving bass note idea.
I recorded a rough sketch of a bassline for this recording just to hear how it will sound, there's some mistakes but I think it came out ok overall.
I included also a file of only the bass track, I don't think I alligned it perfectly in the editor, plus maybe you want to play with the sound see what you can do with it tongue.gif

It's a good idea to bring the song down as Jose said, and let the bass change the pattern abit..
I'll have a look at this tomorrow and record a new demo for you smile.gif

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Sep 20 2009, 03:06 AM
Learning Roadie
jose, thats awesome smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Effects:
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:17 PM