Skennington, Uploads and Discussion
UncleSkillet
Jan 8 2009, 02:28 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Well Steve we don’t need to have a big introduction kind of thing because we already have become friends through the forum. I am obviously very excited about our match up and hope you are as well. Right now I just want to wait on the syllabus that should be posted soon and look that over. I will come up with a game plan for us and we can discuss it from there.

A few things I want us both to get out of this if nothing else is to have a whole lot of fun, show you what a great player you can become and develop a good honest friendship built on trust. I will always back up my reasons with truths and won’t mislead you in any way. If we can do this then we both win even if the end result is I don’t get help from Muris. All I ask is you take this time to do something for you. I know your really busy with GMC and your family at home but you need to dedicate some time for you my friend. This is about your playing not mine. You will be very surprised with your results in the end.

Welcome, come on in and please wipe your feet. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
15 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
skennington
Jan 8 2009, 04:15 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Damn, how did I miss this... laugh.gif feet wiped and ready to cook my friend! I'm very pleased to be paired up with you Jeff. smile.gif You have a lot of knowledge to offer and I'm certainly ready to take it all in. I think that this is going to be quite cool! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Jan 8 2009, 05:04 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Very cool bro! smile.gif I’m glad you’re pleased. FYI, my dogs chewed your shoes up. ohmy.gif I told you not to leave them up by the kitchen. They get hungry when I'm cooking and thought those were some treats . tongue.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 8 2009, 02:35 PM
laugh.gif No worries man, I have several pair...I see the syllabus is up. I'll wait to see what direction you want to take and then discuss. Thought I'd paste it here for easy reference...

Syllabus Guide For the Beginners Mentored Training Program

The following is a guide syllabus for Mentors to follow at the start of their MTP program, the basis of this has been taken from the pilot MTP run by Kris, you can of course add and amend if you wish (by choosing different lessons etc) but the areas to begin working on should be followed as set out below.

(Kris`s MTP pilot can be viewed and used for reference if required HERE)

Objective/Goals:

The purpose of the Mentor Program is to provide beginner level members (mentoree`s) an opportunity to interact one on one with more experienced members (mentors).
During the program the "mentor" will provide his/her students with advice, on how to progress and improve their current level of playing ability with the use of lessons from the GMC archives.
In the initial stages of the MTP the student should be given a basic grounding on Timing & rhythm, Soloing and Finger exercises, after this period, the mentor can assess areas that require more work and take the program in the appropriate direction.

Homework:

Each week the student will be set an assignment to work on throughout the week and post his/her progress in video format during or at the end of the assignment period, to begin with the weekly plan set out below should be used as a guide before moving into more specific areas.

Weekly Plan

Week 1

Timing & rhythm (Part 1)
-Chords to a backing track

Beginner- Strumming and Arpeggios

Goal - To play the whole lesson.

Purpose - practice timing and sense of rhythm. If this lesson gives problems - it will be a useful discovery. Dealing with the problem will help progress to the next level.

instructions
- A Video showing progress should be provided playing with the backing provided (slower backings can of course be used)

Week 2

Timing & Rhythm (Part 2)

A choice of three lessons : Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple , Blues Groove Library - Part 1 , Alice in Chains style lesson

Goal - To choose one of the suggested lessons and be able to play at least half of the lesson to a backing track (slow or fast backing)

purpose - To build on and develop a solid rhythm and timing foundation.

Instruction - Video showing progress should be provided by the end of the deadline period.

Week 3

Soloing

A choice of three lessons : John Frusciante Style lesson , Slow Pentatonics Lesson , Tarantella Rock

Goal - To play a minimum of 20 seconds with backing of the chosen lesson.

Purpose - To introduce soloing, offering help and advice for the best way to overcome any difficulties that may arise for the student.

instruction - Video showing progress during or by the end of the deadline period.

Week 4

Finger Workouts/Exercise

Alternate Picking - thirds Lesson

Goal - To play a minimum of one pattern up and down accross all six strings to either a backing or metronome.

Purpose - Alternate picking Introduction and new fingering positions. (Please note that care should be taken with these kind of exercise lessons, they involve finger stretches that a beginner student may not be used to, therefore proper "warm up" should be advised before attempting)

Instruction - To upload a video showing progress by the agreed deadline.

As stated at the start, this is a "guide" syllabus and is not set in stone for what must be used, you can choose other lessons, but to begin with for the beginning weeks these areas should be focused on

Later bro,
Steve

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Jan 9 2009, 12:59 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hey Steve smile.gif I just got home from work and went over the syllabus. Thanks for coping it in here.

I would like you to do the suggested exercise for week one. Please post the video asap. Along with the video I want you to post the name of the chords you played and the notes that make that chord. I'm sure you won't have any problems. The sooner you do this and I am comfortable that you can play these basic chord shapes clean the better. I will probably give you another lesson this week as well I just need a minute to find it. Also if you have a suggestion of another lesson you like that will fit the category let me know.

I'll post again in a while with a few questions and some ideas for use to discuss.

Have fun

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 9 2009, 01:04 AM
Cool man, will do..That friggin F chord still aggravates me so this will be a good lesson. smile.gif I'll get on it!

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Jan 9 2009, 02:40 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I have a few questions for you that will help me customize this to fit you. So when you get a chance please think about them and shoot me a reply.

1.) Who are a few of your favorite bands?
2.) If you got up tomorrow and could play anything on the guitar you wanted (songs, guitar solos or licks) what would you play?
3.) What do you think playing wise are your strongest points right now?
4.) What do you think playing wise are your weakest and would like to improve?
5.) What are your playing goals for yourself 3 months from now?
6.) What are your playing goals 6 months from now?
7.) What are your playing goals 1 year from now on your 2year GMC anniversary?

If you have any questions for me please feel free to ask. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 9 2009, 03:42 AM
Hum..Good questions man. smile.gif Let's see....

1.) Who are a few of your favorite bands? (old school) Dokken, Ratt, Savatage, Maiden, Metallica, Crue, this list could get lengthy laugh.gif . (today) Three days Grace, 3 doors Down, Disturbed, Crossfade, etc..
2.) If you got up tomorrow and could play anything on the guitar you wanted (songs, guitar solos or licks) what would you play? Final Dance, Muris Varajic..The melody line, the technique involved, awesome!
3.) What do you think playing wise are your strongest points right now? Rhythm and power chords
4.) What do you think playing wise are your weakest and would like to improve? Everything else.. laugh.gif
5.) What are your playing goals for yourself 3 months from now? Improve my Alternate Picking, Tapping and Legato
6.) What are your playing goals 6 months from now? To be able to use these skills in my improvisation
7.) What are your playing goals 1 year from now on your 2year GMC anniversary? Simply put, to be better than I am now. smile.gif

If you have any questions for me please feel free to ask. smile.gif

OK, I will.. tongue.gif

• How long have you been playing?
  • What's your favorite style..Blues,Rock,Metal...
  • Who do you feel, out of accomplished guitarist, has the best tone?
  • Also to you, If you could wake up in the morning and play anything, what would it be?
  • Your Favorite band/artist?
  • What are your goals here at GMC?
  • What would you most like to accomplish out of this program?
  • If you were my personal instructor locally, what would be the one thing you have me do daily so to never forget?

Ok man, here's a few.... smile.gif

This post has been edited by skennington: Jan 9 2009, 03:42 AM

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 9 2009, 06:14 PM
Instructor
Looks like you guys will have lots of fun smile.gif

I really like where MTP is going , can't wait to see some videos wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 9 2009, 06:19 PM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jan 9 2009, 12:14 PM) *

Thanks Pedja, hoping to get the first up tonight.. smile.gif

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Jan 10 2009, 12:58 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jan 9 2009, 12:14 PM) *

Thanks for stopping by Pedja. The MTP is really going to help bring us closer together and make GMC even better than it is now.

Hey Steve,

I am working on your questions but your not playing fair. unsure.gif I only asked you 7 and your asking me 8 ohmy.gif laugh.gif

If you get to upload your lesson tonight that would be great! If your having a problem with the F chord still thats ok. Make a video of the problem your having so I can help.

--------------------

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Jan 10 2009, 02:14 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Ok Steve, here are the answers to your questions sir. Now where is my lesson?? biggrin.gif laugh.gif

How long have you been playing?
Well I started I think at about 13yrs old and played for a few years. Noodled around and tried to teach myself some songs using an old record player my grandmother gave me. We couldn't afford lessons. I could play some AC/DC songs, Heart, 1 or 2 from Rush. Mostly just rhythm stuff. Parents got divorced and I put the guitar down till I was 18. Started playing more serious at that point. I was working and on my own and couldn't pay for lessons either. So I made a bunch of friends that could play and I would just watch and learn from that. Then I would go home and get my tape player out and work on songs. About 8 years later I made a decision to put the guitar down and go to a local college to get an education and a better job. Well that worked out pretty good and now I have a life and a wonderful family that supports me. So a little over 1 year ago I decided I needed to find out how good I could become and then I found GMC. Now you’re stuck with me. biggrin.gif

What's your favorite style..Blues,Rock,Metal...?
Well I really like big hair 80's stuff because that’s what I grew up with. Honestly though I love all types of music and listen to what ever I am in the mood for. Well except rape and disco stuff.

Who do you feel, out of accomplished guitarist, has the best tone?
Tough one. I think all accomplished guitar players half to have a great tone. That’s why we buy their CD's. A few of my favorites are Muris, Satriani, SRV and Eric Johnson, Al Di Meola to name a few.

Also to you, If you could wake up in the morning and play anything, what would it be?
I would just like to wake up and be able to improv or write something like Muris or Satriani.

Your Favorite band/artist?
Mostly guitar centered music. The same artists that I listed above.

What are your goals here at GMC?
Well to help you of course. I need to learn a better variety of technique and some theory stuff so I can put it all together better. I also would like to become more involved with GMC and helping others in some way.

What would you most like to accomplish out of this program?
Honestly if my experiences and playing can make a difference to you or any other player here then I would be happy. The more players the better of course. I just want to be a part of something that involves music. If I can get someone to help me in the process well then that is a bonus.

If you were my personal instructor locally, what would be the one thing you have me do daily so to never forget?
Take a shower and brush your teeth. biggrin.gif tongue.gif

This post has been edited by UncleSkillet: Jan 10 2009, 04:21 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 10 2009, 02:28 AM
If you were my personal instructor locally, what would be the one thing you have me do daily so to never forget?

Take a shower and brush your teeth. biggrin.gif tongue.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Now that gave me a good laugh man! smile.gif

I'm working on the chords lesson but I just can't believe how I have let the foundation slip by me. This is really the first time I have sat down and focused on a chord structure (that's not power chords). I'm sure I'll have it down by tomorrow, If I can't nail the F barre, I'll just repeat the D or something.

Thanks again for helping me bro! smile.gif

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Jan 10 2009, 02:39 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
If I can't nail the F barre, I'll just repeat the D or something.

A let me think about that for a minute........ no that is not going to cut it. If your having a problem give me a small video of that section or something and we will work through this. We are not going any further with the syllabus till you get this.

This post has been edited by UncleSkillet: Jan 10 2009, 02:45 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 10 2009, 03:18 AM
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Jan 9 2009, 08:39 PM) *
A let me think about that for a minute........ no that is not going to cut it. If your having a problem give me a small video of that section or something and we will work through this. We are not going any further with the syllabus till you get this.

I knew that you were going to say that and was hoping so.. smile.gif It's all about progress, no matter how small or large..In my case, the first of the two.. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Jan 10 2009, 04:12 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (skennington @ Jan 9 2009, 09:18 PM) *
I knew that you were going to say that and was hoping so.. smile.gif It's all about progress, no matter how small or large..In my case, the first of the two.. laugh.gif

No pain No gain bro. If your having a problem I am here to help smile.gif All you have to do is ask.

--------------------

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Jan 10 2009, 06:28 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi Steve,

I have put a lot of thought into our game plan for the next several weeks. I am listing 3 lessons below and I would like you to either choose one you like or give me a suggestion of something else. If you choose something else I want it to focus on the same areas as these do.

What I feel we need to work on right now are different chord types and phrasings, being able to move around the neck smooth using them, muting technique and we need to free up your right hand from using down strokes so much. If we can focus on these areas it will make you a stronger rhythm player.

Personally I would like to see you tackle Marcus Siepen if you feel up to it.

Marcus Siepen
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...c-metal-rhythm/

Joe Kataldo
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/beginner-rock-rhythm/

Gabriel Leopardi
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...ds-rock-rhythm/

Please give me some feedback and let me know how your progressing with your current lesson.

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 10 2009, 07:23 PM
Working on the current lesson now and I must say in all it's simplicity, I'm having trouble with it. For all who reads this, DON'T fall into a trap of not practicing regular chords. This is really the first time I have sat down and practiced basic chords and I'm a bit angry at myself for not doing so sooner. mad.gif

These are the basics and should not be taken lightly as I have. I will have a look at those lessons suggested Jeff but to be honest, If all I get out of this program is to catch up on these chord shapes and be able to transition smoothly, I will be completely satisfied. smile.gif

I'll upload a video shortly to show you where I am having trouble... Thanks for your patience with my shortcomings. smile.gif

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Jan 10 2009, 09:24 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Well first of all you shouldn’t be mad at yourself. The syllabus was designed for this specific purpose. Now we know that this is something we need to work on lets move on. If it takes you 4 weeks to play this perfect, then that’s what it takes. As long as you’re putting in the effort it’s all good.

This competition for the lack of a better term is not about turning someone into Steve Via in a week. There are many different levels of beginners yet we all start from the same place and have to learn these same basic building blocks. If you ask any guitar player here about the first time they had to learn these cords I bet they would all relate to how difficult and frustrating it was at times. If they say anything else then they are lying to you.

I want you to continue to work on this exercise and please post me an example of you playing ASAP. What I’m going to do is come up with a practice routine for you covering all aspects of the syllabus. I don’t want you getting board and having several lessons to work on will help you become a better player quicker while having more fun.

I am here for one reason and that is to help you. As I have told you before it doesn’t matter to me about winning or losing this. If all this MTP was just about who could make the best player in one month then I would rather lose (or quit) and stay here helping you.

I will get you through this so don’t you quit on yourself. smile.gif

This post has been edited by UncleSkillet: Jan 10 2009, 10:02 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 10 2009, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the encouragement man, means a lot bro and I'm glad that you are looking at this the way you are. smile.gif I will honestly will put forth all the effort that my time allows and will get this down for sure. I will get you a video asap so you can point out the good and the bad. I know that without seeing, you are setting their feeling a little helpless but I need to be able to show you the whole lesson and like you said, not just a part of it. smile.gif

+Quote Post

15 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:44 AM