New Fender Sqiuer Affinity Series
Todd Simpson
Jul 26 2021, 03:27 AM
GMC:er
Just in time to hopefully give us all a break from the recent high prices that seem to be impacting various types of musical instruments, FENDER have released some new models in their SQUIER AFFINITY SERIES. I don’t own a fender but I’m seriously thinking about it as these seem to be great value for money. Clearly they are not vintage and not MIM, etc. But they do look like solid guitars with good parts. I hope these make their way in to Guitar Center etc. so I can try a few and see if I want to add one. I’m really curious what KEN thinks about these axes. He’s a bit of an expert on Fender as we all know. If he thinks they are worth a look then I’d really be interested.

In March Fender said it was going to expand it’s lineup of more affordable Squier Affinity axes. A brand new strat would join the bunch as well as a new tele, jazzmaster and some new basses. In addition they updated some of the existing line. Upgrades all around, making these a solid list of contenders for any starter guitar purchase and even adding to the stable of any musician. Let’s look at a few of them.

SQUIER AFFINITY SERIES JAZZMASTER

The Jazz Master gets ceramic single coil pickups and has a nice glassy clean tone as showed in the video with Tiana O’Hara. It’s got a 2 point trem and the color is called “Burgundy Mist”.
It features a C shape maple neck with indian laurel fingerboard (not much Rosewood going around as we all know) 12 med jumbo frets, and a 3 way pickup switch. The best part is probably the price at $279.

SQUIER AFFINITY SERIES STRAT/STRAT HSS/STRAT HH

Next up we have a trio of new Strats. They all have similar features but you can choose which pickup config you want, three singles, HSS or HH. They boast a C shaped necks, 2 point trems, and fender pickups. Again the best part might be the price. $250.

SQUIER AFFINITY SERIES TELE/TELE DELUXE

This Tele is just as you’d expect. The “Delux” Tele features 2 Squier Bucker pickups. Both feature C shaped necks, string through body bridges and a variety of colors. You can even get the tele as a Left Hander! Just like the others, prices start at $250!

SQUIER AFFINITY SERIES JAGUAR/PRECISION/JAZZ/JAZZ V BASS

Not to be left out, the series gets a new collection of Bass guitars as well! The starter of the bunch is the Jag with a 32inch scale length. The P Bass has a split single coil neck pickup and single coil bridge pickup. The two Jazz Bass models are a four and five string version of the same instrument. Again, like the rest, these start at $250

I was honestly SHOCKED at these prices. Having seen rampant price inflation on used and new instruments over the past couple of years, seeing brand new brand name instruments starting at $250 was a welcome change of pace. At this price point I would not expect much from these, however, they do look nice and the video demos sure sound good, so I have high hopes. I’d like to get the HSS strat which the same Pickup config as my Ibanez RG560. Of course, the proof is in the pudding. If I try one of these and the frets jab in to my fingers and the neck feels terrible, then I’m putting it back and walking away. But if it’s nice, it could be my first Fender. How about you guys? Any takers?

*Check out RAGE AGAINST THE STRAT!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Rage-Against-the-Strat/

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 3 2021, 02:57 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jul 26 2021, 07:32 AM
Definitely worth a look!
Last year I bought a Squier 'Cyclone' which is an offset (Jazzmaster) body with Strat pkups and mostly Strat hardware. It's a very good guitar. The "affinity" models are less expensive but in my experience, the first year's run of any inexpensive issue Fender or Squier guitar or amp is when the quality and attention to detail is the highest.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 27 2021, 03:47 AM
Ahh! Hadn't thought about that. Good tip! Year one is when they would be paying a lot of attention as it's a new line. Especially on budget runs that folks may be critical off I guess. Some bad press on quality control could really impact the line in a negative way. The prices are almost too good to be true but given the recent price hikes I'll take it!

Thanks much smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jul 26 2021, 02:32 AM) *
Definitely worth a look!
Last year I bought a Squier 'Cyclone' which is an offset (Jazzmaster) body with Strat pkups and mostly Strat hardware. It's a very good guitar. The "affinity" models are less expensive but in my experience, the first year's run of any inexpensive issue Fender or Squier guitar or amp is when the quality and attention to detail is the highest.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:08 AM