Picking Hand Question
Mirba
Oct 26 2016, 10:09 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey guys,

Just signed up yesterday. I'm really excited about joining GMC! I've already seen so many great lessons here.

Lately i've been working a lot on my alternate picking. I've been struggling with my picking hand for quite a bit.
I always rest my picking hand on the bridge of the guitar. But when I play for example a ascending minor pentatonic scale, should the resting position of my picking hand move when I ascend?
Usually when I pick the resting position doesn't move that much, but i'm wondering if it should?

Hope you guys understand my question. Looking forward to hearing your toughts

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 26 2016, 12:18 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello and welcome to GMC Mirba,

Is there any chance of posting a video or some pics so we can see exactly what you're doing? It would be much simpler that way.

Thanks, and I look forward to watching your journey. Enjoy it smile.gif

Phil

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mirba
Oct 26 2016, 02:36 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks Phil,

I'll upload a video later today. I don't know how to explain my problem otherwise. So hopefully a video will clear it up.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mirba
Oct 26 2016, 03:50 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Guys,

Added a video for clarification

The first two times I play the pentatonic scale, I don't really move the resting position of my picking hand.
The the last two times I play, I move the resting position up and down. I kinda exaggerated the motion a bit.

Hope that this clears it up.

This post has been edited by Mirba: Oct 26 2016, 03:51 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 26 2016, 04:31 PM
Thanks,

No doubt you will be getting some advice very very soon wink.gif

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 26 2016, 08:12 PM
Can I recommend Todd's Bootcamp for your particular needs? Check it out >>>>> HERE <<<<< it is focused on picking technique and has a gradual learning curve.

Gab is also available for mentoring across a broad range of styles and techniques, he will contact you if he has spaces left.

Enjoy smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 26 2016, 09:08 PM
GMC Founder
Welcome Mirba! smile.gif

QUOTE (Mirba @ Oct 26 2016, 11:09 AM) *
Hey guys,

Just signed up yesterday. I'm really excited about joining GMC! I've already seen so many great lessons here.

Lately i've been working a lot on my alternate picking. I've been struggling with my picking hand for quite a bit.
I always rest my picking hand on the bridge of the guitar. But when I play for example a ascending minor pentatonic scale, should the resting position of my picking hand move when I ascend?
Usually when I pick the resting position doesn't move that much, but i'm wondering if it should?

You do not have to change your resting position, but you will then be limitied to what is known as "downward pickslanting" (see Troy Gradys videos on youtube for more info). This will give you problems for some type of shred runs, however some famous guitarist (Yngwie, Eric Johnson) still use it.

If it feels like you want to lift your palm when ascending, then it means you hand wants to attempt upward pickslanting as well. This should be a good thing as you will then be attempting "two way" pickslanting which is a more flexible technique for shredding (meaning it will open up for many more types of runs).

One of the advantages with sticking to downward pickslanting only, is that it allows you to be super relaxed in your right hand.

If you are not into shredding, then I don't think you need to worry that much about your hand position and just do what feels most comfortable.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mirba
Oct 27 2016, 10:00 AM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks Kristofer appreciate it!

Not changing my resting position is alot more comfortable for me right now, but maybe that's just because I haven't really tried going up and down that much.
Also never heard of pickslanting before, definitely going to check out some videos about that.

Will also be looking into Todd's bootcamp!

This post has been edited by Mirba: Oct 27 2016, 10:00 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 27 2016, 10:14 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Mirba @ Oct 27 2016, 11:00 AM) *
Not changing my resting position is alot more comfortable for me right now, but maybe that's just because I haven't really tried going up and down that much.

Ok! If you want to stick with downward pickslanting, the most common workaround is economy picking for the passages that don't feel natural to your picking hand position. In other words you then allow yourself to break the down-up-down-up-down-up pattern, and for example do down up down-down-up-down-down etc in an ascending 3-notes-per-string pattern.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mirba
Oct 27 2016, 11:28 AM
Learning Rock Star
Ok thanks!

Never really tried economy picking before, but i'll look up some lessons on that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Grappa
Oct 27 2016, 04:46 PM
Learning Roadie
Its def worth watching all of Troys stuff on YouTube..

I only found them recently and man did it answer many of the questions that I had for years about how these people were able to do some of the stuff they do..

Have fun and stick at it!

Si

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Oct 28 2016, 12:32 PM
Instructor
Hey there! I've watched your playing and haven't spot anythign wrong with your hands chaping or resting points. There are several concepts for right hand but mostly 2 are in common use. What you do is one of those 2 smile.gif It's profits are: ability to play with low-hanged guitar on the strap (while standing) and effieciently muting low strings while playing on high ones.

I've tried a lot of concepts during my guitar adventure. I found that there is always a compromise. Some thing seems to work better at particular licks while other don't and the opposite. That's why I use both concpets of right hand shaping, depending what I play. Haven't found one of them being better at all ascpects. Sadly...smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mirba
Oct 28 2016, 01:22 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi Grappa,
Watched one of Troy's videos yesterday. Really interesting indeed!

Hi Darius,
Thanks for your comment,it's good to know that i'm not doing something wrong. For now I think i'm going to stick with what i'm most comfortable with, and might explore the other technique later.

This post has been edited by Mirba: Oct 28 2016, 01:24 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 28 2016, 11:24 PM
GMC:er
Todd here!!!! smile.gif I'm the guy that runs the SHRED JOURNEY BOOTCAMP that was mentioned. Just shoot me a personal message here on GMC if you want to join smile.gif After you try a couple of missions, you can decide whether it's right for you. I focus a LOT on picking wink.gif

I watched your vid and I have to say in general, it's a good idea IMHO, to at least try to find one position on the bridge that's comfy and can mute most of the strings, even if your left hand is not touching the fret board. This one technique stumps folks for most more than anything else I tend to teach. It's not easy, but does come in handy, especially later as you start playing licks that skip strings and require good muting to be done by just the right hand. So learning to articulate your pick while keeping a solid mute or even prepping for a mute, or alternating between non mute and mute, is a very good thing to learn/practice.

It's waaaaay harder than moving the hand with the pick IMHO. I'd say do what works for you smile.gif , as Kris mentions. I use the "centered" technique, like your doing on some of your takes, most of the time. It does go well with "shredding", and technical playing in general. BB King did not use this technique much as he just didn't need it. It's a bit harder to play this way which is why most folks see to let their hands drift with the pick. For many styles, drifting works just fine. A blend of both is probably best depending on what you are playing smile.gif

Here is the link to all of my MISSIONS if you want to take look smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...rtal:Techniques

but if you'd like to go through them properly and get helpful critiques, just shoot me a personal message and I'd be happy to have you in Bootcamp smile.gif I'll shoot you a PM just in case you miss this post and to make it to where you just have to hit "reply".

Practice!
Todd

QUOTE (Mirba @ Oct 26 2016, 05:09 AM) *
Hey guys,

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 28 2016, 11:29 PM

+Quote Post
Mirba
Oct 29 2016, 01:19 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Todd,

I sent you a PM back. But i'm not sure if you received it because it's not in my Send messages list?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 29 2016, 07:18 PM
GMC:er
Hey smile.gif Got it and sent a reply.

Todd

QUOTE (Mirba @ Oct 29 2016, 08:19 AM) *
Hey Todd,

I sent you a PM back. But i'm not sure if you received it because it's not in my Send messages list?

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 30 2016, 10:10 AM
QUOTE (Mirba @ Oct 29 2016, 01:19 PM) *
Hey Todd,

The message system doesn't put messages in your sent list by default, you have to tick a box before you send it you want it in your sent list too. wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:26 AM