2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Single Coil Pickups, Whats the point of single coil pickups?
Becca
Apr 1 2014, 03:02 PM
GMC:er
Remember your first guitar? The one you saved real hard for or got bought as that extra special birthday gift. Remember how it felt to hold that guitar. to spend hours practising on it. All the sore finger tips and cramps in the forearm /wrist area. Boy though it was worth it. Chances are that first guitar was a cheap Strat copy. Mine was a Hohner, still got it, gathering dust in my spare room. If yours was a Strat too then you will know what I am going to say next.
Single coil pups. WHY? Why on earth are they still making them? And they are STILL fitting them, as standard, to some expensive guitars.
Think about it for a minute.
A single coil pup is weedy. It sounds thin. It buzzes like a bandsaw EVERY time you take your finger off the metalwork and even Fender kind of admit that the pups are gutless. Why else would they fit a 5 way switch as standard to their Strats if not as an attempt to get some grunt out of those pickups?
Of course that buzz is nothing compared to what you get when you introduce some gain to the signal.
This is the 21st century yet the single coil is still so ubiquitous that we, as musicians just seem to accept it. How many times have you heard someone say or even read in a magazine " Yeah, we wanted that authentic feel to the sound". And you know full well they are talking about buzzing and lo fi output. That's single coil pups for you.
Please don't assume that I am pushing or denigrating any particular brand or model guitar here. I had a very pretty Fender Strat Antigua reissue a few years back. Apart from some quality control issues regarding the finishing of it the guitar was fine. I just wish that it had humbuckers instead.
With Humbuckers having twin coils wound in opposite directions the noise output was dramatically reduced. My Epi Les Paul had its twin stock pickups replaced for hotter Iron Gear pups and it screams like nothing on earth. But ask yourself this. How many times have you thought "Hmm. I think I will rip out those paf's because that Les Paul would sound great with Single coils"?
Well?
My point exactly.
I just tried an experiment . I dusted off my Hohner, a cheap but well made guitar and put it through my pedal board into a Marshall 30 combo. I had to adjust my MXR Noise Clamp in order to hear the clean signal. I then engaged the Rothwell Tornado i use for overdrive. The MXR just turned its gate light on and sulked. I have the use of a Vintage VRS guitar. Similar build quality I would say to the Hohner but is equipped with twin 'buckers. I put that through the same set up and rig and it worked just fine. And I didn't have to use a bucketload of compression on it either.
So I repeat my question.
What is the point of Single coil pickups?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 1 2014, 04:00 PM
This guy does OK with single coils:

Him too:

A little more modern maybe?

No compressors, no noise gates on these rigs. You learn what's good about it, you learn to deal with it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by klasaine: Apr 1 2014, 05:12 PM

+Quote Post
Becca
Apr 1 2014, 05:08 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 1 2014, 03:00 PM) *
This guy does OK with single coils:

Him too:

No compressors, no noise gates on these rigs. You learn what's good about it, you learn to deal with it.

And your point is..what exactly? Yngwie happens to use a Strat but no compression, noise gate or band pass filters? Come on.
And Hendrix used strats too.
FORTY years ago!
He could also use his Gibson SG just as well. You know as well as I do that the noise was Jimi"s appeal. Listen to the disastrous re mastering of his work in the early days of the CD reissues of his albums. You heard stuff that he never intended you to hear. Stuff that contributed to the ambience of his work but wasn't meant to clean up for the digital age. Oh yes, and lots of buzzing.
This is 2014. Why aren't new guitars using Humbuckers or Piezo bridges? I am simply suggesting that single coil pups are old and outmoded and cheap. Doesn't your new guitar,particularly when you are shelling out big money for it, deserve to be equipped with the superior humbuckers?
Er.. Klasaine, I have to admit to be strumming a Frankenstein Tele right now. Its similar layout to Keef's but,of course the bridge single coil pup buzzes too much so I use the neck bucker mostly. cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 1 2014, 05:18 PM
My point is that even with a ton of gain - I just edited the above post to include a modern/current Paul Gilbert clip - there are folks who like the sound of single coil pickups. They can be huge sounding. And 'good' ones def are neither cheap nor inferior.

*If you have that much noise - which is not normal as you're describing it - your issues could just be a bad set of single coils or your dist pedal or your gate - ?
Also, all kinds of elec equip in your house (computer monitors, lack of proper grounding, a juicer or a hair dryer, etc.) can cause a lot of 60 cycle hum through your guitar.

Pickup technology hasn't changed much since about 1955.
Hendrix occasionally used humbuckers (a flying V) but preferred the sound of a Strat with normal output singles.
A lot of (studio) Zep was done on a Tele and a Danelectro.

If you don't dig 'em - cool. But plenty do (as you'll see in the proceeding posts).

And hey, you asked.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Apr 1 2014, 08:04 PM

+Quote Post
Hexabuzz
Apr 1 2014, 05:27 PM
Ummm... Because a humbucker will never sound like a single coil? And some people prefer that tone?

Please read the article and listen to the clips... He does a nice job of explaining and showing the difference, and why you'd want it... Not trying to change your mind, or the tones you prefer, but think perhaps you may have missed some of the subtleties and differences that only singles can give...

http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone...t-quack-anyway/

And a great performance with amazing tone that just isn't going to happen any other way than with singles...

There are so many other classic pickups with unique sounds and that's why they're still making them, like the P-90, which is also a type of single coil.

This post has been edited by Hexabuzz: Apr 1 2014, 05:30 PM

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Apr 1 2014, 06:21 PM
Its probably just a matter of taste as the others have pointed out. I have one guitar with Humbuckers and the other with single coils...I have one of each because I like that they both do what the other can't. smile.gif Nice article that Hexabuzz posted about the strat 'quack'....starring Mr. Darius Wave!!!

This post has been edited by Headbanger: Apr 1 2014, 06:22 PM

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Apr 1 2014, 06:55 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
For me, I absolutely love the original and vintage tones you can get from a stratocaster with single coils. Nothing else sounds like them. Personally, I would never buy a strat with humbuckers, to me it would just defeat the purpose. To each his own and plenty of people love single coil pups, I don't see them going away anytime soon.
Here is another guy that seems to prefer single coils.

Edit, Here is another guy that loves his single coils. smile.gif

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Apr 1 2014, 07:10 PM

+Quote Post
Becca
Apr 1 2014, 07:57 PM
QUOTE (Hexabuzz @ Apr 1 2014, 04:27 PM) *
Ummm... Because a humbucker will never sound like a single coil? And some people prefer that tone?

Please read the article and listen to the clips... He does a nice job of explaining and showing the difference, and why you'd want it... Not trying to change your mind, or the tones you prefer, but think perhaps you may have missed some of the subtleties and differences that only singles can give...

And a great performance with amazing tone that just isn't going to happen any other way than with singles...

There are so many other classic pickups with unique sounds and that's why they're still making them, like the P-90, which is also a type of single coil.

Thanks Hexabuzz for actually trying to see what I was getting at. My point really was how we as muso's are allowing manufacturers to be complacent with the equipment they provide." We do them with single coils because thats how we always done it" is not really good enough in my opinion. That article you provided illustrates my point really well. Even if it is a Seymour Duncan site they acknowledge that there have always been the problems with single coils and are coming up with innovative ways of sorting these problems out. I particularly like the sound of the Duckbucker and the stacked type too.
The thing is , as was pointed out by the guy above, these pup designs basically haven't changed since the 50's so it's high time things were pushed forward to sort these problems out.
And great claims about "voicing" are made in Pup manufacturers adverts. (not just SD folks ,they all do it) well surely they could make a noiseless, stacked bucker to sound more like a trad pup?
I meant to make it clear that I often use Strat's and Tele's when it is suitable to do so. I obviously didn't succeed as lots of people are rushing in to defend their tone. It's not about that ,guys and I can name lots of Strat players too.
.Right hopefully now we can get somewhere. Has anyone got any thoughts of how perhaps digital modelling might be used to improve things? Or any suggestions that guitar manufacturers could possibly think about offering as options? I think to begin with these pups could be more expensive, but if they can get it right and it becomes more popular the price will come down.
smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 1 2014, 08:07 PM
Yes ...
http://fluence.fishman.com/
http://www.fishman.com/articles/fishman-fl...in-premier-guit

'Noiseless' single coils have been manufactured since the early 80s. As of yet nobody's gotten it right (I've tried them all and I always switch back). Maybe the Fishman's will be different - ? I hope so.

Ultimately taste related.
If you're into very modern metal (of whatever sub-genre) then probably some type of humbucker is your best option.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Apr 1 2014, 08:11 PM

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Apr 1 2014, 08:19 PM
Learning Roadie
I much prefer single coils to humbuckers

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Becca
Apr 1 2014, 08:30 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 1 2014, 04:18 PM) *
My point is that even with a ton of gain - I just edited the above post to include a modern/current Paul Gilbert clip - there are folks who like the sound of single coil pickups. They can be huge sounding. And 'good' ones def are neither cheap nor inferior.

Pickup technology hasn't changed much since about 1955. Hendrix occasionally used humbuckers (a flying V) but preferred the sound of a Strat with normal output singles. A lot of (studio) Zep was done on a Tele and a Danelectro.
If you don't dig 'em - cool ... but plenty do.

And hey, you asked -?

Hi Ken. Hey, I DID ask, and what I got was clips of well known Strat players and an admonishment to learn to work around it from you. I happen to think that if I spend four figures on a guitar the least i can expect is for it to be noise free. and not have pups that buzz and suck tone from the signal.
It's not good enough friend, and its our complacency that enables it. I just got to read a really good piece on Seymour Duncan Stacked and Duckbucker pups that sounds very promising and it is to their credit that they are trying to move pup design along.
Guitar manufacturers should be doing all they can to keep a vintage tone without the associated problems but as long as we who buy their products accept what we are given, then its not going to improve, is it? smile.gif

QUOTE (Headbanger @ Apr 1 2014, 05:21 PM) *
Its probably just a matter of taste as the others have pointed out. I have one guitar with Humbuckers and the other with single coils...I have one of each because I like that they both do what the other can't. smile.gif Nice article that Hexabuzz posted about the strat 'quack'....starring Mr. Darius Wave!!!

Hi HB, I agree, tone is a matter of individual taste and It's my fault for not being clearer.I don't want to come across as some sort of Tone Fascist. I still have my first Strat (a cheap copy) and in the 80's had a Fender strat(bloody expensive). I also still have a modded Tele. What I couldn't accept was the amount of noise from even my Fender. I took it back to the dealer ,(remember them, before the interweb)? And was told by him it was all part of the Fender charm! Not acceptable to me then or now. That SD article Hexabuzz posted to me was a revelation. Exactly the right way to be going. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 1 2014, 08:47 PM
1-Without being technical but technologically comparing these; Piezo-single-humbucker-active humbucker...

This is a row of which can handle+reflect complex harmonic information like chords from better to worst. Whats interesting is it also reflects technological advancement biggrin.gif

So its not always about technology. When we pull a string, we actually hear many notes inside that 1 note as this is also a character of each sound.

2-Vintage sound is another word for a tone thats standardized. Its a safe route for musicians which is guarantied to succeed specially in a matching genre. Since guitar tone is all about balance, its really not simple to tweak these without changing something else that wasn't intended to change.

It might buzz but something else is also in there that others want to hear. No matter how advanced, no tech. can replicate an original perfect.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Apr 1 2014, 08:48 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 1 2014, 09:34 PM
OK, relax.
This is actually part of what you said ...
QUOTE (Becca @ Apr 1 2014, 07:02 AM) *
Single coil pups. WHY? Why on earth are they still making them? And they are STILL fitting them, as standard, to some expensive guitars.
Think about it for a minute.
A single coil pup is weedy. It sounds thin. It buzzes like a bandsaw EVERY time you take your finger off the metalwork and even Fender kind of admit that the pups are gutless. Why else would they fit a 5 way switch as standard to their Strats if not as an attempt to get some grunt out of those pickups?

This is why I and few others posted clips of gained out Strat players.
It's your 9th post and you come out of the gate slagging a great sound that actually isn't too noisy if you work on learning to deal with it. You get the comments you get when you talk like that.

Feel free to use the ignore function on me.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Apr 1 2014, 10:35 PM

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 1 2014, 10:16 PM
Instructor
I love the bite of Single Coils! smile.gif Those sweet trebles and dynamics. I know it's not visible on my current published vids but I'm more single than some of my friends suspect smile.gif I would never ate my ego to agree with anybody but I can't honestly say this now...I HAD TO GROWN UP TO SINGLE COIL TONE...

Previously I was just wondering why the hell people play pickups that are so harsh and noisy. But..through Years I started to realize WHY and it's impossible to explain to anyone until he/she get's to the same point on he/she 's own. No one could never explain me and I think it's pointless. This day will come for some of us and for some never will. And I think it's nothing bad at all....but just smiled to myself imagining current me trying to explain "young me" why singles are so cool smile.gif

Oh...and the low output, Alnico 5, noisy, not shielded pickups biggrin.gif

Oh that yummy glass in tone, this brilliance while playing with fingers and that damn bite while hitting strings with full power smile.gif

Ha ha ha! Thanx Rod and Hexabuzz - I would never notice they included my vid in this article biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Becca
Apr 1 2014, 11:21 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 1 2014, 08:34 PM) *
OK, relax.
This is actually part of what you said ...

This is why I and few others posted clips of gained out Strat players.
It's your 9th post and you come out of the gate slagging a great sound that actually isn't too noisy if you work on learning to deal with it. You get the comments you get when you talk like that.

Feel free to use the ignore function on me.

hi kenny. Dont worry my friend i am quite relaxed even though everyone and his dog has disagreed with me. I wouldnt dream of using the ignore function on you even if I knew what it was.
I still think that the Seymor Duncan Bumf that Hexbuzzer posted is what the guitar manufacturers should be working toward.
I shall look forward to having similar debates with you and the rest of the gang on here in the future.
smile.gif xx

QUOTE (Hexabuzz @ Apr 1 2014, 04:27 PM) *

Hi Hexabuzz. sorry but I mentioned you in another reply and realised I got your name wrong. Sorry again, no offence intented.

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Apr 1 2014, 09:16 PM) *
I love the bite of Single Coils! smile.gif Those sweet trebles and dynamics. I know it's not visible on my current published vids but I'm more single than some of my friends suspect smile.gif I would never ate my ego to agree with anybody but I can't honestly say this now...I HAD TO GROWN UP TO SINGLE COIL TONE...

Previously I was just wondering why the hell people play pickups that are so harsh and noisy. But..through Years I started to realize WHY and it's impossible to explain to anyone until he/she get's to the same point on he/she 's own. No one could never explain me and I think it's pointless. This day will come for some of us and for some never will. And I think it's nothing bad at all....but just smiled to myself imagining current me trying to explain "young me" why singles are so cool smile.gif

Oh...and the low output, Alnico 5, noisy, not shielded pickups biggrin.gif

Oh that yummy glass in tone, this brilliance while playing with fingers and that damn bite while hitting strings with full power smile.gif

Thank you Darius, thats a lovely response. I think I probably came across as too anti single coils where I should have been bemoaning the lack of development in the industry. love your playing by the way.

Ha ha ha! Thanx Rod and Hexabuzz - I would never notice they included my vid in this article biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 1 2014, 07:47 PM) *
1-Without being technical but technologically comparing these; Piezo-single-humbucker-active humbucker...

This is a row of which can handle+reflect complex harmonic information like chords from better to worst. Whats interesting is it also reflects technological advancement biggrin.gif

So its not always about technology. When we pull a string, we actually hear many notes inside that 1 note as this is also a character of each sound.

2-Vintage sound is another word for a tone thats standardized. Its a safe route for musicians which is guarantied to succeed specially in a matching genre. Since guitar tone is all about balance, its really not simple to tweak these without changing something else that wasn't intended to change.

It might buzz but something else is also in there that others want to hear. No matter how advanced, no tech. can replicate an original perfect.

hi Mertay. Thank you for posting. If I understand you correctly the sine wave of a musical note will also incorporate other sub-harmonics of constituent notes. my question about digital modelling being able to represent an authentic vintage tone is not viable then?
Ah well it was just a thought. i am tired now so going to sign off for the night.
See ya. xx

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 1 2014, 11:43 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Becca @ Apr 1 2014, 03:02 PM) *

Please don't take this the wrong way, But my first thought is,you need to present us with tone matching with humbuckers so we can have something to have a discussion about .To say you don't like something and not give an example for us to discuss ,well, everything becomes hearsay

+Quote Post
Hexabuzz
Apr 1 2014, 11:57 PM
Becca,

May I call you Becca? No offense taken at the name mishap smile.gif

I always enjoy a good debate and discussion...

I'm also glad you enjoyed the blog post at SD, and I hope you liked the clips.

That being said...

I obviously don't have as strong a feeling as you about this topic, but also, I'm actually in the opposite camp as you regarding single coils...

Yes, I think it's great that manufacturers continue to experiment and evolve and improve their design...

However, to me, I honestly prefer the traditional single coil designs, in all their forms (Strat, Tele, P-90), noise and all... I think that their shortcomings are a small price to pay for their tone...

That's really all I have to say - I hope you find what you're looking for in a pickup - Good luck!

+Quote Post
TeoWulf
Apr 2 2014, 12:17 AM
QUOTE (Becca @ Apr 1 2014, 03:02 PM) *

It's all about da Blackmore tonez! Seriously, what kind of an answer did you expect?
Howerver, because I am gracious enough to assume that this post is indeed very much connected to the date of it's posting, I will present you with an answer that details my true oppinion.
The single coil pickups are much more responsive in nature, that's why they pick up all the unwanted noise. This, on the other hand, has positve effects on the tone and channels the player's nuances better. Having said that, I do think that there are noisless single coil pickups that sound quite good, such as Lace Sensors. Much respected people, like Clapton and Blackmore use those, so they mustn't be that bad. But then again, you could simply want the noise. It can be integrated into solos quite nicely, as per below.

This post has been edited by TeoWulf: Apr 2 2014, 12:19 AM

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 2 2014, 12:53 AM
QUOTE (Becca @ Apr 1 2014, 03:21 PM) *
hi kenny.
I shall look forward to having similar debates with you and the rest of the gang on here in the future.
smile.gif xx

Looking forward to it becky wink.gif

This post has been edited by klasaine: Apr 2 2014, 12:58 AM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 2 2014, 12:56 AM
QUOTE (Becca @ Apr 1 2014, 10:21 PM) *
hi Mertay. Thank you for posting. If I understand you correctly the sine wave of a musical note will also incorporate other sub-harmonics of constituent notes. my question about digital modelling being able to represent an authentic vintage tone is not viable then?
Ah well it was just a thought. i am tired now so going to sign off for the night.
See ya. xx

That really depends on the expectation but in an engineers view its far from perfect;

Problems with sampling fx (amps, pedals etc.) is the gain is always constant, amplitube amps for example are sampled by a fixed gain setting and the drive knob is artificial (which is the reason why some users dislike amplitube's distorted sounds). Too much gain results in extreme unnatural form (visually distorted too) in the sine wave that simply cannot translate. Too low gain then you have the equipment noise affecting the freq. response.

Not to mention a sinewave occurring naturally is an extremely rare thing. Its also very delicate to filtering so this both has its up and down sides.

But the real problem is although you have a digital representation of an analog sound, you can't reflect it to a standard. Like the speakers, sound card you use will change the sound...

http://www.acustica-audio.com/

Check out the website and forum as there is lots of info that should help you understand the benefits and limits. They use a licensed tech. which only works on small amounts of distortion (like studio equipment) but the process is very similar to other brands like kemper, amplitube etc...

This post has been edited by Mertay: Apr 2 2014, 12:58 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:31 AM