Tip Of The Day #4, Dejan
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 25 2008, 12:34 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Whenever possible, practice in front of a mirror. It may help you to have good posture and easily spot any tension you may have, but are unaware of while concentrated on practicing.

Posture is very important - its something I am still working on after ignoring it for a long time and getting into some bad habits. Its also just as important for electric as for classical guitar - you need to make sure you practice in a similar position to how you will play live or it will all feel wrong when you get on stage!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Apr 25 2008, 01:27 PM
Instructor
I can definetly agree with this. I never used to pracrice in front of a mirror, but i've learned alot recently by watching my own videos.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Vinod Saranga
Apr 25 2008, 01:32 PM
Acoustic Instructor
Classical guitar player has lot to do with posture. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 25 2008, 02:01 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
This is very important tip! I don't have any mirrors suitable for this though sad.gif But I was told this one by one instructor long time ago..With a mirror you can definitly get a new perspective on things you are doing - how you are placing your hands and everything and that knowledge can help you a lot! Also as Andrew said , you need to make sure you hold the guitar on the same height when you practice sitting , and when you play it standing on stage..I would recommend practicing standing - thats the best way for me..Otherwise you can get in trouble when you go on stage and can't play something that you practiced so much..

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Apr 25 2008, 06:42 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Watching yourself playing can fur sure help to track down problems, just as recording yourself is very important.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
Apr 26 2008, 09:06 AM
Instructor
Another nice tip, playing in front of a mirror can also motivate you.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Apr 26 2008, 09:08 AM
Singing Instructor
I started to do that after I so my self for the first time on tv.So it helped me a lot.
Great tip Dejan.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 26 2008, 04:00 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Nemanja Filipovic @ Apr 26 2008, 10:08 AM) *
I started to do that after I so my self for the first time on tv.So it helped me a lot.
Great tip Dejan.

I undestand why guitarsts do it (hand positions etc) , why singers do it ?? Breath controlling ? Or for stage performance , charisma practicing ? smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 26 2008, 04:42 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Breath control - when I was having singing lessons, my teacher had a big mirror in the room to help people to understand their breating.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 26 2008, 06:54 PM
Instructor
Excellent advice! Also improving not only practicing posture but on stage posture can be very handy! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Pablo Vazquez
Apr 26 2008, 10:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Apr 26 2008, 02:54 PM) *
Excellent advice! Also improving not only practicing posture but on stage posture can be very handy! smile.gif

+1 wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Apr 27 2008, 06:38 AM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Apr 26 2008, 05:00 PM) *
I undestand why guitarsts do it (hand positions etc) , why singers do it ?? Breath controlling ? Or for stage performance , charisma practicing ? smile.gif

Ha,I dont know how to practice charisma,I thinks that is some thing you have or you don't.:)But you are wright I practice for stage performance...I had a lot "flying guitars",so I get rid of that hand gesture and started to dance a bit,but not to much.smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 27 2008, 01:38 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Apr 26 2008, 05:00 PM) *

I also think it is very important for a frontmen/singer to practice gestures and posture in front of a mirror. It looks much more professional then random jumping and dancing on stage. It is a rare gift to have such talent and charisma to be able to stand on the stage and without any practice look good and appealing. It all comes down to hard work in front of the mirror eventually, especially for the singers.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Apr 28 2008, 12:29 PM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Apr 27 2008, 02:38 PM) *
I also think it is very important for a frontmen/singer to practice gestures and posture in front of a mirror. It looks much more professional then random jumping and dancing on stage. It is a rare gift to have such talent and charisma to be able to stand on the stage and without any practice look good and appealing. It all comes down to hard work in front of the mirror eventually, especially for the singers.

I agree 100 %

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Apr 28 2008, 05:24 PM
Instructor
I am glad you like the tip biggrin.gif

Playing in front of mirror helped me the most to get rid of some tension I had in my left hand, but did not notice while watching "from above". Also trying to get rid of my pinky flying around and to keep him still while not playing with him, but it's a tough job smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 29 2008, 09:04 PM
GMC Founder
Excellent tip - which I haven't really thought of as a tip, but now that you say it, the mirror in my room has probably helped me more than I realise! (I use it mostly to check my haircut!! laugh.gif )

The mirror is of course a great way of comparing your own posture to the ones you see in the videos at GMC!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:34 PM