Practicing And Resting
coffeeman
Nov 29 2007, 12:03 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
When you go to a gym , one of the first things the personal trainer(if he knows something about working out) is that resting is as important as training, based on that you should make a workout programm of 3 or 4 days , and you should rest at least 2-3 days.

Do you think this theory should be aplied also to guitar practicing? What do you think?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by coffeeman: Nov 29 2007, 12:50 AM

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Nov 29 2007, 12:11 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
I think so for sure, I`ve been playing pretty hard the last few weeks, I`m not bored or anything, just gives the mind a break, hands fingers, muscles a rest.

I usually pick up the guitar after a day or so and find I`ve improved, refreshed, less tired

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
MickeM
Nov 29 2007, 12:12 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
After trying some difficult riffs, solos or whatever for several days in a row and then putting the guitar away for a couple of days (in anger or just plain disappointment) I've noticed sometimes, not always of course, but sometimes when you grab it again and give it a go the riff is there. It plays as if you got faster!

I don't know if it's muscles that get their well deserved rest or if it's the brain that gets a chance to coordinate things with the muscle memory.

So I belive rest works.

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Nov 29 2007, 12:16 AM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (coffeeman @ Nov 28 2007, 11:03 PM) *
resting is as important as resting

i guess you mean resting is as important as training/practising...

Personally, i think not when applied to guitar.

With guitar, 90% of it is mental as opposed to physical- so by taking days off you are missing chances to strengthen the synapses you use for certain ideas and exercises.
But if you feel you need extended time resting with your guitar put away so that you can recover physically, then you need to stop unleashing havoc on your arms and fingers and put in some proper/correct practise- ie slow down...

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Nov 29 2007, 12:24 AM
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Nov 28 2007, 11:16 PM) *
i guess you mean resting is as important as training/practising...

Personally, i think not when applied to guitar.

With guitar, 90% of it is mental as opposed to physical- so by taking days off you are missing chances to strengthen the synapses you use for certain ideas and exercises.
But if you feel you need extended time resting with your guitar put away so that you can recover physically, then you need to stop unleashing havoc on your arms and fingers and put in some proper/correct practise- ie slow down...

Agree with the 90% mental part over physical, the rest of it I totally disagree, your brain needs a rest, the trickier and more technical the lessons you are playing the more the mind becomes blurred , as MikeM says its amazing that putting the guitar down for a bit (I usually carry on thinking about the piece tho) clears the brain and you pick it up (not always, as Mike says too) and you can almost nail it straight off.

if... you can play those pieces to speed you still need to practice them at speed, you`ve gotta break out from slow practice at some point or else your never going to speed up and play those licks the way you want to, slowing down for precision purposes is a must and I think thats where your getting the practice slow idea from, you should def practice slow for precision as I said, but if you play at 50bpm forever and its perfect and you carry on practicing it at 50bpm your never gunna break away from (guess what) 50bpm.
no way your going to lose any skill etc just by taking a day of or so, thats just mad, I didnt talk for 3 days and now I cant speak???? sorry, just seemed like a bizarre answer to me.

This post has been edited by Smells: Nov 29 2007, 12:37 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
rokchik
Nov 29 2007, 01:21 AM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (coffeeman @ Nov 28 2007, 07:03 PM) *
When you go to a gym , one of the first things the personal trainer(if he knows something about working out) is that resting is as important as training, based on that you should make a workout programm of 3 or 4 days , and you should rest at least 2-3 days.

Do you think this theory should be aplied also to guitar practicing? What do you think?

I approach my guitar practice much like my workout schedule. I've been gone the last 3 weeks, so my schedule is a bit messed up, but I usually try for 3 days practice 1 day rest, 2 days practice 1 day rest. This changes from time to time but that has been my format, for the most part, the last 7 months or so. I keep a journal, much like my work outs, to keep track of lesson, metronome speeds etc. I review the journal each practice and I usually find that I've improved more on the days after rest then any other time. But that's just me.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 30 2007, 12:18 AM
Instructor
When you play the guitar, your mind actually must remember every micromove that you do with your fingers. This my friends is a slow process, but if you do one thing (like an exercise) 100 times, be sure that 101st time it will sound EXACTLY like it did for the last 100 times. Why? Because the way our brain works, it makes a "patch" from neurons in your mind, called a routine and that routine is then executed at will.
Now why i wrote all of this? Because this "patches" function in different areas of the brain in different occasions. For example, if we play something one day over and over, eventually we will (besides the muscle fatigue as a reason off cource) start to play even worse that when we started. This is because our brain cannot withstand that much of information and work. We get brain fatigued in one word. It is best then to stop and move on tomorrow, not sooner. And why not sooner? Because our brain gets its rest during the night. It stores the parts of information he had gotten that day from a short term memory to a long term memory, and this memory can now be controled by our subconscious. When you get up tomorrow, or maybe pick up the guitar few days later, your brain has stored effectively what you have practised in the past few days in a longer term memory, and you can execute that easely. That is - you don`t have to THINK how to execute it, you just have innitial thought and - there it is. The innitial thinking that is required to execute the lick\solo\exercise is now embedded in our mind as a ROUTINE. We only then have to send the info to the other area of the brain to execute that routine at given tempo, tonality etc. Pretty amazing when you think about it. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Milenkovic Ivan: Nov 30 2007, 12:22 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Nov 30 2007, 10:47 AM
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Nov 29 2007, 11:18 PM) *
When you play the guitar, your mind actually must remember every micromove that you do with your fingers. This my friends is a slow process, but if you do one thing (like an exercise) 100 times, be sure that 101st time it will sound EXACTLY like it did for the last 100 times. Why? Because the way our brain works, it makes a "patch" from neurons in your mind, called a routine and that routine is then executed at will.
Now why i wrote all of this? Because this "patches" function in different areas of the brain in different occasions. For example, if we play something one day over and over, eventually we will (besides the muscle fatigue as a reason off cource) start to play even worse that when we started. This is because our brain cannot withstand that much of information and work. We get brain fatigued in one word. It is best then to stop and move on tomorrow, not sooner. And why not sooner? Because our brain gets its rest during the night. It stores the parts of information he had gotten that day from a short term memory to a long term memory, and this memory can now be controled by our subconscious. When you get up tomorrow, or maybe pick up the guitar few days later, your brain has stored effectively what you have practised in the past few days in a longer term memory, and you can execute that easely. That is - you don`t have to THINK how to execute it, you just have innitial thought and - there it is. The innitial thinking that is required to execute the lick\solo\exercise is now embedded in our mind as a ROUTINE. We only then have to send the info to the other area of the brain to execute that routine at given tempo, tonality etc. Pretty amazing when you think about it. smile.gif

Excellent answer Ivan, thanks biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Nov 30 2007, 10:55 AM
Lets go fishing!
Yeah thats some useful information Ivan.

Ive come to the firm conclusion small breaks does me the world of good, even if its only 1 day off per week max. Or 2-3 days every now and then.

When I practice daily, I practice really hard ! But were not robots, and belive the brain does need time to take in what you have learnt and then process it. The other week I took 3 days out and I can tell you, Its done me a world of good !!!

Sometimes if I just put that guitar down after practicing hard all week and do something totally different like photography or fishing it enables me to come back and play with my enthusiasm, precision etc

This post has been edited by mattacuk: Nov 30 2007, 10:57 AM

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Nov 30 2007, 12:48 PM
GMC:er
1 hour after classes and then 2 hours everynight. I rest during the day. Taking days off from guitar i often see that i forget what i was working on simply because i do not practice for entire days straight like some people. Rest is essential because while you rest your mind continues to work on the problem at hand. This is why sometimes when we stop playing and return to the guitar we can play stuff we couldn't play when we set it down smile.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Nov 30 2007, 01:03 PM
Lets go fishing!
This sure is a super interesting topic. It sort of ties in with a recent one about brain development in musicians! I think its cool to think that we are building healthy minds! smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:14 AM