2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Ez Drummer Od Addictive Drums?
David Wallimann
Aug 28 2007, 10:07 PM
Instructor
Hi guys!
I've been using EZ drummer for drums, but recently heard great things about Addictive drums. I know Muris uses AD and am thinking about switching.
Has anyone had a chance to compare both products?
I'd love to hear some thoughts about these 2 softwares...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Aug 28 2007, 10:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Wallimann @ Aug 28 2007, 11:07 PM) *
Hi guys!
I've been using EZ drummer for drums, but recently heard great things about Addictive drums. I know Muris uses AD and am thinking about switching.

Yeah, I use both !!! cool.gif

I use EZ drummer with the "Drum Kits From Hell" Extension. It sounds very good and very realistic, but I don't like the Snare sad.gif so I continue searching another VST or Soundfont that haves a better snare and I found the Addictive Drums. It's really a great VST, and it's smaller that de EZ... but, I don't Know why but I prefer EZ.

Well, in the next month or 2 months I will do the master of my second Solo Album and probably I proof both programs better, so I will give you a better opinion. Nowadays I think both have similar quality but I prefer EZ except for the snare, that I like more the Addited Drums...

(to be continued... tongue.gif)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 28 2007, 10:23 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Wallimann @ Aug 28 2007, 05:07 PM) *
Hi guys!

Hi Dave - funny that - I heard Muris' use of AD and decided to give it a try as well smile.gif. My copy should arrive in the next day or so, and I can let you know my impressions soon after. I am an EZD user at tthe moment and have several of the expansion packs. AD can't match that versatility but I am thinking that it might sound better. It also has more complete patterns with it - you can download a limited demo to get you started.

As an aside, I just bought some additional patterns from GrooveMonkey - gives you more variety in putting beats together, and they work for both EZD and AD.

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Aug 28 2007, 10:23 PM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Aug 28 2007, 10:42 PM
Instructor
Thanks for your input to both of you.
I've been using EZ as well with several extensions. But just as for you Juan I'm not super happy with the snare..
I'm usingf DFH as well...
Loking forward to read what you think about it Andrew!

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Aug 28 2007, 10:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Wallimann @ Aug 28 2007, 11:42 PM) *
But just as for you Juan I'm not super happy with the snare..

Hehehe, it's dificult that it sounds real !! Well I use to change dinamics and put some effects like a thin reverb and a good compresion (better a parametric compresion). However I will use the AD's snare tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Jeff
Aug 28 2007, 11:12 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 28 2007, 04:23 PM) *
Hi Dave - funny that - I heard Muris' use of AD and decided to give it a try as well smile.gif . My copy should arrive in the next day or so, and I can let you know my impressions soon after. I am an EZD user at tthe moment and have several of the expansion packs. AD can't match that versatility but I am thinking that it might sound better. It also has more complete patterns with it - you can download a limited demo to get you started.

As an aside, I just bought some additional patterns from GrooveMonkey - gives you more variety in putting beats together, and they work for both EZD and AD.
Andrew, I just checked that link. Do you think GrooveMonkey is worth it? I have EZD.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 28 2007, 11:16 PM
QUOTE (jeff @ Aug 28 2007, 06:12 PM) *
Andrew, I just checked that link. Do you think GrooveMonkey is worth it? I have EZD.

I've yet to really play with them, but one thing that frustrated me in EZD was the lack of useable mini break variations so I decided to check GM out - I'll let you know when I have had a chance to look in depth, but initially it looks like you get a lot of patterns fro your noney, and for me products like EZD and AD live or die by their included patterns - you can build patterns yourself, and I've done a lot of that, but I'm not a drmmer and I get a much better feel using patterns made by real drummers so I took the plunge and bought all sets aprt from the country. They are good value in that if you buy them for EZD, the AD patterns are a free download.

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Jeff
Aug 28 2007, 11:41 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 28 2007, 05:16 PM) *
I've yet to really play with them, but one thing that frustrated me in EZD was the lack of useable mini break variations so I decided to check GM out - I'll let you know when I have had a chance to look in depth, but initially it looks like you get a lot of patterns fro your noney, and for me products like EZD and AD live or die by their included patterns - you can build patterns yourself, and I've done a lot of that, but I'm not a drmmer and I get a much better feel using patterns made by real drummers so I took the plunge and bought all sets aprt from the country. They are good value in that if you buy them for EZD, the AD patterns are a free download.
I feel the same way. I want easy to use drum patterns that I can select rather than program and I want it easy just like everyone else, so I'm looking for the same thing. I have drums and I can play them fairly decently, but there are problems recording drums with noise, mic set-up, etc. I'll let you know if I come up with any alternatives as well. thanks!

+Quote Post
Smurkas
Aug 29 2007, 12:38 AM
Hello. I have been using both EZ drummer and Addictive drums for some time now and still use them both. I personally think that Addictive has the edge when it comes to sound and versatility. The thing I don't like about EZ is that your "stuck" in whatever kit you're using and there's no really simple way to for example take the snare from the rock kit and use it with the drumkit from hell kit. Just like Juan I hate the sound of the snare in that kit, sounds like it's made of paper. The way around this is of course to load two instances of EZ drummer and use one instance for the snare and the other for the rest of the kit but it's a bit messy.

Addictive drums doesn't work in the same way and lets you mix and match all the separate drum parts just the way you want to. It comes off a bit like an easier more understandable version of DFHS and without all the micro management. You have one snare slot, one kick slot, four tom slots, three cymbal slots (I need six cymbals damnit! wink.gif), one ride, one hihat and one cowbell.

You can also change the balance between the microphones on the snare and the kick but I didn't hear much difference soundwise when trying it out.
It comes with alot of different presets for different drum sets and I personally think many of them sound really strange so I usually stick to a metal kit or their clean kit presets.

AD also has a bunch of inbuilt effects like reverb and EQ, but I haven't really played around much with the effects so I don't know how good they are. EZ has those kinds of things in some of their newer kits but as always, the effects are bound to the kit and are not universal.

I think the groove libraries to both products are great but Addictive comes with whole songs for those of us who are really lazy and just want to drag and drop once wink.gif. However the grooves in AD come with their own tempo and automatically adjust the tempo in the track which I find really annoying since I haven't found a way to turn this off.

I personally think it's worth owning both if you can afford it. Like I said I still use both in different situations depending on which mood I'm in etc. If someone forced me to pick one I would probably choose AD.

Feel free to ask specific questions about AD and I can check them out, I haven't tried all the features in it since I'm such a preset whore.

Anyway, hope this helps.

/Marcus

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Aug 29 2007, 12:52 AM
Instructor
This helps a lot!!!!
Will give AD a try.
Thanks a lot for your intensive input!

QUOTE (Smurkas @ Aug 28 2007, 07:38 PM) *
Hello. I have been using both EZ drummer and Addictive drums for some time now and still use them both. I personally think that Addictive has the edge when it comes to sound and versatility. The thing I don't like about EZ is that your "stuck" in whatever kit you're using and there's no really simple way to for example take the snare from the rock kit and use it with the drumkit from hell kit. Just like Juan I hate the sound of the snare in that kit, sounds like it's made of paper. The way around this is of course to load two instances of EZ drummer and use one instance for the snare and the other for the rest of the kit but it's a bit messy.

Addictive drums doesn't work in the same way and lets you mix and match all the separate drum parts just the way you want to. It comes off a bit like an easier more understandable version of DFHS and without all the micro management. You have one snare slot, one kick slot, four tom slots, three cymbal slots (I need six cymbals damnit! wink.gif), one ride, one hihat and one cowbell.

You can also change the balance between the microphones on the snare and the kick but I didn't hear much difference soundwise when trying it out.
It comes with alot of different presets for different drum sets and I personally think many of them sound really strange so I usually stick to a metal kit or their clean kit presets.

AD also has a bunch of inbuilt effects like reverb and EQ, but I haven't really played around much with the effects so I don't know how good they are. EZ has those kinds of things in some of their newer kits but as always, the effects are bound to the kit and are not universal.

I think the groove libraries to both products are great but Addictive comes with whole songs for those of us who are really lazy and just want to drag and drop once wink.gif. However the grooves in AD come with their own tempo and automatically adjust the tempo in the track which I find really annoying since I haven't found a way to turn this off.

I personally think it's worth owning both if you can afford it. Like I said I still use both in different situations depending on which mood I'm in etc. If someone forced me to pick one I would probably choose AD.

Feel free to ask specific questions about AD and I can check them out, I haven't tried all the features in it since I'm such a preset whore.
Anyway, hope this helps.
/Marcus

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 29 2007, 01:17 AM
QUOTE (Wallimann @ Aug 28 2007, 07:52 PM) *
This helps a lot!!!!
Will give AD a try.
Thanks a lot for your intensive input!

My copy of AD just arrived - but I've run out of disk space so buying a new 500Gb drive which adds $100 to the price of AD sad.gif

Plus side is, AD comes with an additional 500Gb of storage for a total of $350 laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Aug 29 2007, 04:17 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Smurkas @ Aug 29 2007, 01:38 AM) *
... for example take the snare from the rock kit and use it with the drumkit from hell kit. Just like Juan I hate the sound of the snare in that kit, sounds like it's made of paper. The way around this is of course to load two instances of EZ drummer and use one instance for the snare and the other for the rest of the kit but it's a bit messy.

laugh.gif I use the same trick !!! XD
Well, I think that if I may recomend one it will be the AD, but for me is better EZ because I export everything separately and put the effects that I need. (yes, I need from 5 to 10 tracks in my mixer form the drums XD)
And another thing, I never use patters, all the drums in my songs were composed and programed by me in the guitar pro biggrin.gif

(Perhaps I will write a topic with the explanation of how I recorded my songs tongue.gif)

+Quote Post
Jeff
Aug 29 2007, 04:19 AM
QUOTE (Juan M. Valero @ Aug 28 2007, 10:17 PM) *
laugh.gif I use the same trick !!! XD
Well, I think that if I may recomend one it will be the AD, but for me is better EZ because I export everything separately and put the effects that I need. (yes, I need from 5 to 10 tracks in my mixer form the drums XD)
And another thing, I never use patters, all the drums in my songs were composed and programed by me in the guitar pro biggrin.gif

(Perhaps I will write a topic with the explanation of how I recorded my songs tongue.gif )
Is it hard to program drums in GP? I have never done that. - yes an explaination of that would be great! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Aug 29 2007, 04:29 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (jeff @ Aug 29 2007, 05:19 AM) *
Is it hard to program drums in GP? I have never done that. - yes an explaination of that would be great! biggrin.gif

For me it's not so hard, but I work with GP since 8 years ago, rolleyes.gif
Mmm, well I promise I will write about it, but in another topic !!! hehehe wink.gif

+Quote Post
Jeff
Aug 29 2007, 04:32 AM
QUOTE (Juan M. Valero @ Aug 28 2007, 10:29 PM) *
For me it's not so hard, but I work with GP since 8 years ago, rolleyes.gif
Mmm, well I promise I will write about it, but in another topic !!! hehehe wink.gif
You know what, on second thought, I'll not be lazy and I will read the manual laugh.gif !! thanks

+Quote Post
Nick325
Aug 29 2007, 11:14 AM
for either of these do u need a midi keyboard?

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 29 2007, 11:30 AM
QUOTE (Nick325 @ Aug 29 2007, 06:14 AM) *
for either of these do u need a midi keyboard?

Not really, unless you want to try and play the beats yourself instead of using the built in libraries (I have done that in the past though). Its not a necessity.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Aug 29 2007, 03:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jeff @ Aug 29 2007, 05:32 AM) *
You know what, on second thought, I'll not be lazy and I will read the manual laugh.gif !! thanks

Yeah!! that's a really good idea wink.gif You can learn a lot of good tricks with the manual smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 29 2007, 05:35 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Wallimann @ Aug 28 2007, 11:07 PM) *
Hi guys!

I use AD for all my lessons and composing. I tried EZ and to me AD is better and more customizable. Guess that also has something to do with personal preferences. smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Nick325
Aug 29 2007, 11:51 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 29 2007, 06:30 AM) *
Not really, unless you want to try and play the beats yourself instead of using the built in libraries (I have done that in the past though). Its not a necessity.

so if u dont have it u use all the samples?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:57 AM