Mustaine/schenker @ Dean, Now I Know Why, May 2007 issue of Guitar One
Goliath
Mar 4 2008, 02:08 PM
GMC:er
Mustaine was on the cover of the May 07 issue of Guitar One I found while cleaning up my apartment (which I don't remember buying, only have GW subscription).

So here's the skinny.

Mustaine left ESP because ESP was not giving Gigantour in 06 the kind of sponsorship he expected of them and his contract expired at the end of 06. Mustaine was in touch with Grover Jackson and he was going to come back to Jackson and he was very excited about it.

A bit of back story, when Fender bought Jackson in 02, that's what drove Mustaine away. He had tried to buy the company on 3 different occasions but was outmaneuvered by Fender. His contract went from getting 11 guitars a year plus royalties (which he claims to have never seen a dime of in 17 years) to getting one guitar a year and zero royalties, so he left Jackson for ESP. Enter ESP debacle, now return to the story.

Jackson was going to give him a better contract than ever as Metal/Thrash was making a resurgence and all of the bands leading the charge typically site Megadeth/Metallica as inspirations, so that greatly ups Mustaine's stock. Jackson was going to offer him the whole KV line again w/ double necks and graphic models etc. Mustaine hears rumors about Schenker getting an obscene endorsement with Dean. Fantastic for Schenker, says Mustaine, but that's not going to stop him returning to Jackson. Dean approaches Mustaine with the most lucrative endorsement in their company and DM's history. Mustaine says, "OK, you got me" and now is Dean's flagship player.

So, the gear board wasn't the place for this thread where Dean guitar quality has been discussed ad nauseam but sounds like we all need to take a step back and look at why people really play for the companies they play for, and it's not always about quality, but who wants to part with the most cash. Mustaine and Schenker were bought out, plain and simple. That said though Mustaine still was beaming about his new VMNT series. What was funny though, in the same article he mentions his signature LiveWire pickup and then on the very next page is a full page ad for his strings, the GHS PRDM Progressives .10 - .52. I can vouch for both the pickups and the strings though, they're fantastic (especially the strings).

They also had a look at Mustaines custom Line 6 4-channel amp.

I'd be happy to scan the article and post it but I understand that is taboo.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Mar 4 2008, 03:03 PM
please do, i would like to see it. especially the part about the amp, that sounds purchase worthy. i wish dave had went with jackson, as thats my favorite guitar brand. oh well, life goes on.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Guitarman700: Mar 4 2008, 03:04 PM

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 4 2008, 03:06 PM
Of course it's down to money. Who in their right mind would have a Dean guitar tongue.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Goliath
Mar 4 2008, 03:08 PM
PM me your email address if you want to see the article and I'll email it to you tomorrow.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Mar 4 2008, 03:09 PM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Mar 4 2008, 09:06 AM) *
Of course it's down to money. Who in their right mind would have a Dean guitar tongue.gif

sigh. well thats the music "business" today. next thing you know, dave will be playing guitar on hannah montana records. tongue.gif
(i have nothing against dave, hes my hero, but i see this kind of thing happen all the time.)

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30

+Quote Post
Goliath
Mar 4 2008, 03:09 PM
Oh, and they interview Glen Drover about the album.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Mar 5 2008, 02:30 AM
I guess that's just the way it goes, if I were in his shoes I would probably make the same desicion, both Jackson and Dean make quality guitars, but Jackson hasn't treated Mustaine well in the past, then all of a sudden he gets a big offer from Dean, and I've never heard of an unhappy Dean endorsee (I'm not saying there aren't any). So it's kind of a logical thing, but hopefully if Dean mistreats him he will deny the money and leave.

Personally, I own both Dean and Jackson guitars and I think both companies make good guitars, and if I were debating on what guitar to buy next and had to choose between the two companies I would go to the one with the best deal. Actually, I'd just go for the best deal period. tongue.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 5 2008, 10:53 AM
QUOTE (RIP Dime @ Mar 5 2008, 01:30 AM) *
I guess that's just the way it goes, if I were in his shoes I would probably make the same desicion, both Jackson and Dean make quality guitars, but Jackson hasn't treated Mustaine well in the past, then all of a sudden he gets a big offer from Dean, and I've never heard of an unhappy Dean endorsee (I'm not saying there aren't any). So it's kind of a logical thing, but hopefully if Dean mistreats him he will deny the money and leave.

Personally, I own both Dean and Jackson guitars and I think both companies make good guitars, and if I were debating on what guitar to buy next and had to choose between the two companies I would go to the one with the best deal. Actually, I'd just go for the best deal period. tongue.gif

Dean endorsees don't complain because they are all dead biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Mar 5 2008, 02:47 PM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Mar 5 2008, 04:53 AM) *
Dean endorsees don't complain because they are all dead biggrin.gif

oooooo! Zing!!!

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 5 2008, 03:00 PM
That was a joke of course tongue.gif I love lots of Dean endorsees smile.gif They have some great artists on board. And for those who wonder I was in shock when Dimebag was killed as I was a major fan at the time. It was a sad loss of a truely original guitarist and great guy.

Just incase any took my comment in a bad light. sad.gif

I actually really love the look of Dave's new axe.

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Goliath
Mar 6 2008, 07:21 PM
I'd gladly take an Angel of Deth from him.

I'm curious why he opted for set neck even in the 4K model.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:40 AM