Coomon Minor Chord Progressions
Guitar1969
Mar 17 2012, 09:43 PM
GMC:er
I know in the major keys, the most common chord progression is I IV V. I seem to have a good grasp of major keys but am limited in my knowledge of Minor keys. What are the most common chord progressions in a minor key. Are there a few that really stand out in rock, as I would like to start experimenting more with this. I seem to always come up with major progressions only.

Thanks,

Michael

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
Ben Higgins
Mar 18 2012, 10:47 AM
Instructor
Hey Michael, one that I hear a lot in rock and metal is I VI VII.. for example Em, C then D. You won't find a single Iron Maiden song without it wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Mar 18 2012, 11:15 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Guitar1969 @ Mar 17 2012, 08:43 PM) *
I know in the major keys, the most common chord progression is I IV V. I seem to have a good grasp of major keys but am limited in my knowledge of Minor keys. What are the most common chord progressions in a minor key. Are there a few that really stand out in rock, as I would like to start experimenting more with this. I seem to always come up with major progressions only.

Thanks,

Michael

It would be the same thing I-IV-V
For example Dmi-Gmi-Am
Usually you can use minor chords instead of major and it still gonna work!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 18 2012, 02:34 PM
Instructor
If you want some modal progressions, you can check out the post biggrin.gif below:

Dorian progressions - be sure to check the theory included, so that you may fully understand the progressions

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...mp;#entry566956

if there are things you'd like to ask, I am here man smile.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jan 28 2013, 12:35 AM
Theory Instructor
My favorite is less metal but still fun to play.

Dm-Dm/C-Bb-A7

The "Stray Cat Strut" progression

I also like the minor blues progression

Like in Am

Am/Am/Am/A7b9/

Dm/Dm/Am/Am/

F7/E7/Am7/E7b9/

Check em out.

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 28 2013, 01:08 AM
| Dm F | G A7 | is a nice one.

*play the F as an Fadd9 like this xx301x

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jan 28 2013, 09:06 AM
Theory Instructor
Another cool one for sure! As a variation of that, kinda, I like

Dm7 / Fmaj7 / Em7b5 / A7b13

Funky jazz turnaround to use on minor tunes.

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
evilcman
Feb 14 2013, 01:33 PM
An other really common progession that I really like is the Andalusian cadence.
The most basic form usually used is (in A minor):
Am G F E(7)

Quite common in Flamenco, but also in 60's pop/rock music (Eg. Beach Boys- Good Vibrations).

Other variations are also quite common.
E.g. Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing uses this:
Dm C Bb A A7 F Dm

The "Stray Catr Strut" progression mentioned
by The Prof earlier can also be considered a
variation of this, probably. Well, the VII is missing,
so maybe not, but it is similar. smile.gif

This post has been edited by evilcman: Feb 14 2013, 01:34 PM

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 14 2013, 06:06 PM
That cadence is usually thought of as being in E phrygian/phryg dom. though. Starting on the iv chord Am.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Feb 14 2013, 06:07 PM

+Quote Post
evilcman
Feb 14 2013, 06:28 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 14 2013, 06:06 PM) *
That cadence is usually thought of as being in E phrygian/phryg dom. though. Starting on the iv chord Am.

Yes. That is true, if you think of the E as the root and the progression itself being a cadence than it is in E phrygian dominant.
On the other hand if you close the piece with Am after a loop of Am G F E-s, that means you close the piece with the
V-i in A minor. In this case this is not a cadence, but an ostinato. Despite it's name, it is used more often this way, I think.

This post has been edited by evilcman: Feb 14 2013, 06:48 PM

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 14 2013, 07:23 PM
Yes it's 'used' more often as Am G F E7 and I too (being from the states) hear it as an A minor key center.
But if you think E phrygian and E phryg/dom for any melodic ideas you'll get all the 'cool' notes as well as interesting view and re-alignment of it's interval collections.
In flamenco music they absolutely think of that prog as starting on a iv chord and it being in the key of E phryg ... even if the ultimate resolve is an A minor chord.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:09 PM