Learning Chords Without The Aid Of A Tab?
BollyRotten
Jun 16 2009, 04:47 PM
GMC:er
Hi,

Not sure if im in the right section or not or if anyone can answer my question.

Thing is I play more acoustic guitar than elec. and im trying to teach myself a song from a fairly unheard of artist in the UK called Jon Allen. He sounds a bit like Rod Stewart. Plays a lefty like myself also. His new and first album is great if you like this sort of music.
The track I am trying to learn is called in your light. there is no tab up for it on the internet so figured i would have a go at learning it from ear. Now i am stuck :-(
What I want to know is, is there some theory behind working it all out. I know the guitar is tuned down 1 full step and the first chord is C. So is there a format to work out what possible chords are available?
I am rubbish at theory and do have a few chords that work, it it helps they are C , G, Am, Am/G , F, Dm7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kotP5t9qjo...feature=related

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I need more fingers!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 16 2009, 05:47 PM
Instructor
I can help to some extent but I advise you analyze song with ear and see what chords are being used. Key of the song is Bb major and the chords used are:

Bb major
C minor
D minor
Eb major
F major
G minor
A diminished

Try to find a progression, to song starts like this:

|Bb|F|Gm|Eb|

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
BollyRotten
Jun 16 2009, 06:08 PM
Thanks Ivan, I will have a go with those chords.
One question I am to presume those chords are played in standard tuning?

I know he plays this tuned down a full step and starts in the shape of C. excuse my stupidity but would that make the chord shape of C really a Bb Maj and so on?

Once again thanks for your help : - )

--------------------
I need more fingers!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 17 2009, 11:48 AM
Instructor
You're not being stupid, that's a pretty good question. Yes you are spot on, he is playing tuned down whole step probably, but you can play it in regular tuning as well, you just have to use Barre chords. If you want to use open chord shapes tune down to D standard. Make sure you have good strings and proper setup tho, cause the strings will not sound the same when lowering down the tuning. Sometimes there will be more buzzing on the frets and the sound will be weak. If that happens or you experience other problems as well, just buy more thicker gauge strings and setup your guitar a bit better for that gauge.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
BollyRotten
Jun 17 2009, 04:57 PM
Many thanks Ivan,

Really appreciated, I will get to work learning the chords and trying to transpose the ones you have listed to my tuned down guitar.
My acoustic is quite a good one made by Turner Guitars, machine made but hand finished they are like copies of Taylor guitars. Tuned down fine though does not stay in pitch for too long but thats due to needing new strings. I use Martin lights 12's. I think I will get this song learnt do all the difficult stuff then someone will tab it and put it up on Ultimate Guitar or something.....

Ivan, thanks for taking the time out to reply with all the tips mate

--------------------
I need more fingers!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:13 AM