Does Anyone Collect Anything For A Hobby?, Let's see your collection pictures!
Praetorian
Aug 26 2008, 08:48 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
I am a big WWII history buff, and I collect some war memorabilia. Both my grandfathers fought in the war, one in the Navy and one in the Army. I guess that's where the interest comes from! Here are some pictures of what I have so far...

Here are some framed pictures I have from WWII. The two large ones are PT Boat advsertisements. My grandfather was on PT-556 in the Med. sea. These were dramatic ads that would be used by Packard who made the engines on the boats etc.

This one is very special to me. The picture is of my other grandfather (father's side). He was a combat bomb technician. If an enemy bomb or shell landed and did not explode, his job was to run out with his tools during the fighting and take it apart so it wouldn't go off! He survived the war too! It had one of the highest casualty percentages of the American armed forces...and he volunteered for the job! The bomb patch was on his uniform, and the blue card was his certification for different equipment.

Here are two propaganda posters that were issued by the U.S. during the war. They were to raise money for the war from war bonds. These are originals...not reproductions!

Here is an autographed pencil sketch of German U-boat captain Peter Cremer. I am a bit of a U-boat buff!

Here is another print that is not WWII original, but is very cool anyway! It is called "The Enemy Above". It shows the inside command room of a German Type IX U-boat that is being attacked with depth charges (possibly from my grandfather's boat!)

Now...my two most special items! This pistol was brought home by my grandfather. It is a German Walther P38 9mm. The German sniper that was carrying it tried to shoot my grandfather as he drove in a jeep to a town with a large bomb that needed to be disarmed. The sniper blew out the windshield of my grandfather's jeep, but luckily he wasn't struck by the bullet. My grandfather crawled along a ditch until he was behind the sniper. By the fact that I now have his pistol, I think you can figure out what happened! It is in perfect condition, and has the eagle and swastika stamped on both sides of the slide.

This is the other special item. This is the actual identification plaque that was on the PT-556 that my grandfather (mother's side) was on. When the war ended, he took it off with a screwdriver and brought it home as a souvenier. I had it framed along with a print of the same boat. I brought it to an appraiser to find out it's value. I would NEVER sell it, but I wanted to add it to my homeowners insurance. He said he had no idea what to say, because it is probably the only one personally owned anywhere in the world!

This last pic is of myself and my grandfather last year at a PT boat show. We are standing in front of a Packard V-12 engine that was on a PT boat. His boat was only 80 feet long...was made entirely out of wood...and it had THREE Packard V-12 engines on them! The PT boats were the fastest boats in the Navy at the time.

I also have a Japanese navy sword that I don't have a picture of.

Well, thanks for checking out my WWII collection. What do you guys collect?!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 26 2008, 09:00 PM
Instructor
Very nice mate, great stuff you got, specially the gun, that thing is gonna be wroth some money in the years to come. Of course I'm not implying you should sell it, just mentioning it smile.gif

Unfortunately I don't collect anything, all the money went to gear biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Siggum
Aug 26 2008, 09:01 PM
GMC:er
Thats a great collection, i dont collect anything, but weapons of the world war does interrest me a bit, the M1-Garand fascinated me quite a bit even though it was a standard rifle.

--------------------

It dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing

+Quote Post
sigma7
Aug 26 2008, 09:03 PM
wow thats some really nice stuff, i used to collect simpsons stuff but now after i saw john 5's telecaster collection, I was thinking about collecting guitars

--------------------

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Aug 26 2008, 09:08 PM
QUOTE (Siggum @ Aug 26 2008, 04:01 PM) *
Thats a great collection, i dont collect anything, but weapons of the world war does interrest me a bit, the M1-Garand fascinated me quite a bit even though it was a standard rifle.

I don't know about your country...but here there are TONS of authentic Garand rifles still around for sale. My friend has a beautiful one that shoots perfect!

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Skalde
Aug 26 2008, 09:21 PM
Learning Roadie
You own a great collection
by the way: When you have an WW2 collection here in Germany people will think bad about you rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Aug 26 2008, 09:26 PM
QUOTE (Skalde @ Aug 26 2008, 04:21 PM) *
You own a great collection
by the way: When you have an WW2 collection here in Germany people will think bad about you rolleyes.gif

I think if the interest is the history, not the political ideals then it is fine by me!

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Aug 26 2008, 09:39 PM
Instructor
Amazing stuff mate !!! those pictures look really cool wink.gif

mmm I don't collect anything... just my compositions !!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Skalde
Aug 26 2008, 09:40 PM
Learning Roadie
Yeah of course it is. Please do not take this personal.
But some people here would get this wrong, you know "coming to terms with the past"

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Aug 26 2008, 09:48 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Excellent collection!

I can't say i've ever collected much- money at times, but that was always spent laugh.gif

+Quote Post
IDontWantMyUsern...
Aug 26 2008, 09:51 PM
I do buy CD's so I'll say I collect that. Only about 70 CD's so far, but I think that's gonna change over the years tongue.gif

This post has been edited by IDontWantMyUsername: Aug 26 2008, 09:51 PM

--------------------
My stuff:

Ibanez S320
Marshall MG100HDFX half stack
Line6 PODxt
Digidesign Mbox Pro

Songs I'm writing down/learning at the moment:

Children of Bodom - Downfall

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Aug 26 2008, 10:26 PM
QUOTE (Skalde @ Aug 26 2008, 04:40 PM) *
Yeah of course it is. Please do not take this personal.
But some people here would get this wrong, you know "coming to terms with the past"

I didn't think you meant anything by it! biggrin.gif I can see how it would be a touchy subject in Germany. Here in the states, the war is a very popular point of interest.

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 26 2008, 11:16 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
A great looking collection. All with a touch of history behind it. Interesting!

+Quote Post
Fran
Aug 27 2008, 12:34 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Nice collection there, specially the posters and prints, congrats!

I used to collect star wars stuff such as lightsaber replicas, japanesse figures and some mini-helmets too. Can't post any pictures as all those gadgets are far from where I live now, but just take a look at my picture in the personal profile to see Anakin Skywalker saber in action wink.gif

I also collected beer jars until I had no more space in my bed-room when I was a student. And last but not least, I still collect small owl figures. Again, all these stuff lives in my old days student room, far away from here!, so no pictures possible sad.gif I'll take my camera next time I go there! wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
kahall
Aug 27 2008, 01:52 AM
Learning Roadie
I do not intentionally collect anything but sometimes stuff just piles up.

Your collection is very very nice though. My wife has a few of those posters, not originals like yours but same type. My favorite is trying to convince the woman to "Get A War Job." Her grandfather was also in the WWII and she has some of his things as well, but nothing as cool as your fine collection.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Aug 27 2008, 02:24 AM
QUOTE (kahall @ Aug 26 2008, 08:52 PM) *
I do not intentionally collect anything but sometimes stuff just piles up.

Your collection is very very nice though. My wife has a few of those posters, not originals like yours but same type. My favorite is trying to convince the woman to "Get A War Job." Her grandfather was also in the WWII and she has some of his things as well, but nothing as cool as your fine collection.

Nice! I'd like to see that one! There were some really cool propaganda posters from that era!

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Noangels
Aug 27 2008, 03:00 PM
Thank your grandfather from me for helping us out during the war:)

great stuff you have there,that pistol looks realy good

My grandfather fought up through north africa and up Italy,and managed to get hold of a german uniform and a luger.lol
My other Grandfather caught Himler(sp) with the lads he was in charge of(well i have been told,but they rarely mentioned the war unless a war film was on the box and they had fought there

I'm surprised my grandfather john could do any fighting with the amount of rum he was rationed,he wasnt in the navy but assigned to them as a motor bike despatch rider and the rest of his lads hated it.They used to get a fair ration in those days ohmy.gif I bet he was wobbly on his bike

Only thing I collect is music gear

--------------------
Ibanez geo and a line 6 spider

+Quote Post
rokchik
Aug 27 2008, 11:52 PM
The Dark Canuck
Great collection, I'm a bit of a history buff myself.

You'd love the museum here where I live in Newfoundland. I live on an air base and it played a key role in WWII for troops going overseas, fueling station etc. The museum has tones of old artifacts, weapons, uniforms pretty much anything you can think of. Also the GAF, RAF, RNLAF, ITAF were all stationed here up until a few yrs ago and they donated a lot of things to the museum. A bit past WWII but there is also an old RAF Vulcan parked nearby in amazing condition.

As for me I collect movies. I love movies, especially from like the late 20's - early 60's. Best time for hollywood in my opinion. Oh and I collect Cal Ripken Jr, and Nolan Ryan baseball cards. Been doing it since I was a kid. Not so much lately but if I see one I don't have I'll pick it up. I know I'm such a nerd smile.gif

rok

This post has been edited by rokchik: Aug 27 2008, 11:53 PM

+Quote Post
Toroso
Aug 29 2008, 09:31 PM
I cannot share my collection with you. I am in enough trouble as it is. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post
Canis
Aug 29 2008, 11:06 PM
Learning Rock Star
I'm so extremely sure that I used to collect something, but can't remember what huh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:36 PM