I Have Gas, And Can't Decide
Deadline
Nov 4 2008, 08:36 PM
GMC:er
...between a Les Paul Studio and a PRS Mira. The Mira is a tad more expensive, but my oh my what a sexy guitar. I like my guitars old school and passive, and I really like them both (even though the Mira is a little more like the SG imho).

I also kinda like that both have shorter scales than a Fender, dunno why, just like the feel a little more. I am a little concerned about the build quality in the LP, heard all sorts, but it sounds great.

Any opinions/advice to a confused guitarist in the making?

Disclaimer: Even though I'm pretty new at spending hours playing the guitar, I know a bad instrument from a good one due to been playing bass for some years.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Nov 4 2008, 08:41 PM
Spend more and get a LP Standard - every serious guitarist should have one. I don't care what anyone says. Go look at a session guitarists arsenal, you can BET a LP is in there. They're versatile, distinct, and classic. PRS makes beautiful axes though, I would try to find both of them and play them. You'll know right away which is for you.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Canis
Nov 4 2008, 08:43 PM
Learning Rock Star
Haha, I was misled by the topic title.....

I'd say the PRS... I've never heard of a unsatisfied PRS owned tongue.gif
Allthough, the Les Paul Studio is great.. If you like it. There is a lot of people who hates Les Paul Studios tongue.gif

Spend more and get a LP Standard

I agree here!

This post has been edited by Canis: Nov 4 2008, 08:44 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
jer
Nov 4 2008, 08:48 PM
follow your gut.

From a quality standpoint you cant go wrong.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Nov 4 2008, 08:49 PM
Learning Tone Master
Search for a used Standard in good quality like I did a month ago! It is by far better than a studio (shich is already a great guitar). A used Standard costs as much as a new Studio...

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Jeff
Nov 4 2008, 08:52 PM
PRS Mira in vintage cherry. Not even a contest. biggrin.gif

Sounds like you already made up your mind anyway. I just thought I would confirm it. I own both a Les Paul and a PRS Artist. The PRS is better.

This post has been edited by Jeff: Nov 4 2008, 08:55 PM

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Nov 4 2008, 09:37 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
My feeling always is get the one you want regardless of price. If you don't you will always telll yourself you should have gotten the other one. smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
Deadline
Nov 4 2008, 10:05 PM
QUOTE (Jeff @ Nov 4 2008, 08:52 PM) *
PRS Mira in vintage cherry. Not even a contest. biggrin.gif

Sounds like you already made up your mind anyway. I just thought I would confirm it. I own both a Les Paul and a PRS Artist. The PRS is better.

I'm leaning towards the Mira, yes. Hmmm... Decisions! Decisions!

Thanks for the replies gentlemen!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 4 2008, 10:17 PM
Instructor
My vote for Mira mate, it's an awesome guitar and it looks very cool cool.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Nov 4 2008, 11:16 PM
i hate gibsons with my whole soul.. try the prs smile.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Pizzoaro
Nov 4 2008, 11:28 PM
Havent checked out The mira, but if ure playing notes from lets say 17th fret and above, DONT buy LP. Its nearly impossible... (Buy ibanez tongue.gif )

--------------------
"Never give up!"

My Youtube

Check out pictures of my band here ---> Bandpictures! Remember to leave a comment!

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Nov 4 2008, 11:48 PM
PRS will do you better than the gibson...

more unique, and quality and play are about the same if not the mira is better

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
inertia
Nov 4 2008, 11:59 PM
PRS all the way, the Mira blows the studio out of the water, 24 frets, coil tap, I've played with the wide thin neck and it was amazing, pure mahagony goodness...If you don't mind spending a few extra bucks get the maple top version it looks a bit nicer and I think has a bit better tone

+Quote Post
tommyboy
Nov 6 2008, 11:41 PM
Ok, I guess I'll be the odd one out on this one. I say get the studio. Les Paul's have the reputation for a reason. I've owned Epi Les Pauls, Gibson Les Paul Standards etc. Of all them are great but my good ole' studio is my favorite. It's not as pretty as a standard but the playability is the same and I think the sound is even better. I prefer a neck without binding and the weight is a major detraction of a standard. Especially at my age.

The Gibson scale is great if your not a big fella. Complicated chords in the open position are much easier when your playing standing all night long.

Just my two cents,

tommyboy

--------------------
Rock Hard or Not at ALL!!

+Quote Post
berko
Nov 6 2008, 11:47 PM
I think you know the answer already: P R S

However, there are no bad decisions in such case IMO

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Nov 7 2008, 12:01 AM
* I was also mislead by the title laugh.gif

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Noangels
Nov 7 2008, 01:38 PM
You have spelt PRS wrong,should be POS tongue.gif

Joking aside I would try and get a LP standard.Nice heavy guitars-short scale length(easier on the fingers)pure rock looks,and great tone.

PRS are great looking axes too

--------------------
Ibanez geo and a line 6 spider

+Quote Post
Deadline
Nov 7 2008, 04:15 PM
QUOTE (tommyboy @ Nov 6 2008, 11:41 PM) *
Ok, I guess I'll be the odd one out on this one. I say get the studio. Les Paul's have the reputation for a reason. I've owned Epi Les Pauls, Gibson Les Paul Standards etc. Of all them are great but my good ole' studio is my favorite. It's not as pretty as a standard but the playability is the same and I think the sound is even better. I prefer a neck without binding and the weight is a major detraction of a standard. Especially at my age.

The Gibson scale is great if your not a big fella. Complicated chords in the open position are much easier when your playing standing all night long.

Just my two cents,

tommyboy

You're making some valuable points here mate. The Mira is imho a modern take on Gibson's SG, and it's scale is shorter than the Fender.

But - to make things even more confusing for me, I have the possibilty to get a Les Paul Jr. on my hands. One year old, and its the signature guitar for Greenday's guitarist. I don't care to much about them nowadays, but this guitar seems like the [business]. It's actually kinda expensive (and much better than the standard new Juniors), but I can get it at a fair price. One year old. Great tone.

What to do, what to do...

wacko.gif

Edited for language - Smells

This post has been edited by Smells: Nov 7 2008, 05:11 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:42 PM