4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Blackstar Ht-5 (h), new 5 watt amp from Blackstar
MickeM
Dec 21 2008, 12:56 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Ajmurrell @ Dec 21 2008, 02:16 AM) *

Oh I see... that was a rather good price too if I got the exchange rate right. Shipping from the UK to Sweden never is cheap through.
I don't mind to wait either wink.gif

QUOTE (Skewlbuzz @ Dec 21 2008, 11:45 AM) *
Was looking at this because I could really use a tube amp for home practice instead of my current solid state..

But I was wondering if the 5w is enough to also play small gigs, lets say 100-200 person crowd?

And would you recommend getting the mini-stack or just the amp + some 4x12 cab?

I also see it has a headphones in jack.. Can you play it without hooking it up with some speakers and only using your headphones?

If you mike it there's no problem. But I never gigged on an amp less than 30 watts and I even felt 1x12 was a bit too weak at one time. It's so different depending on if it's a small room or large room, id the sound will bounce off of the crowd already in the first line etc etc.
So for miking, yes, otherwise I'm feeling save with 50 watts and a 4x12 for gigs.

If and when I get this I will be playing it through a Marshall 4x12, what I would want is a Marshall 2x12 which has a set of different speakers (don't recall the product name). The HT5 speakers are 1x10 and o matter how much sense that makes to have for your studio work I still prefeer 12 inch speakers.
With the headphones I'm sure it cuts the powerstage.

As I see this amp it's not for gigs, it's home practice and studio only. But as I said, if you mike it - no problem.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Jan 8 2009, 09:36 PM
GMC:er
I went into my local guitar store today and they had both the 5 watt head and combo Blackstar! Wiii!
I was in a hurry so I just had time for a quick listen on the combo and it impressed me and the top really could drive a 4x12 cab biggrin.gif

It is way more expensive than my Blackheart but it has so many more cool features.
The sound characteristics are different ofc. I still (after a quick listen) think the Blackheart is more bluesy and fits my sound prefs better, but that's a matter of taste. For everything else I would guess the Blackstar is better. Both soundwise and because of it's versitality. Even with that short listen I dare to stick my neck out and say this is the best factory made 5 watter today at a reasonable price.

I guess I have to buy one. Two amps can never hurt, right? tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 10 2009, 07:41 PM
QUOTE (blindwillie @ Jan 8 2009, 09:36 PM) *
I guess I have to buy one. Two amps can never hurt, right? tongue.gif

Very true! wink.gif Wives though have a hard time understanding this tongue.gif
Sounds like a Blackheart and a Blackstar would compliment eachother... and you could reply easily when people ask
- What amp do you got?
instead of going - I've got a Black.... ehm... which one do I got now again.
You can never go wrong!!!!! biggrin.gif

My local music store e-maled me, last week, they just recieved it in their store. I'm going monday to try it, and buy it if they got more than a display biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by MickeM: Jan 10 2009, 07:42 PM

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Jan 11 2009, 01:19 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jan 10 2009, 07:41 PM) *
Very true! wink.gif Wives though have a hard time understanding this tongue.gif
Sounds like a Blackheart and a Blackstar would compliment eachother... and you could reply easily when people ask
- What amp do you got?
instead of going - I've got a Black.... ehm... which one do I got now again.
You can never go wrong!!!!! biggrin.gif

My local music store e-maled me, last week, they just recieved it in their store. I'm going monday to try it, and buy it if they got more than a display biggrin.gif

I'm having a hard time explaining to not only wives but people in general why we need four guitars and two amps + all the other gadgets in one family. One more amp won't make any difference tongue.gif

And I already have problem with the Black* thing.

Give us a comment when you have checked them out. I'd like to hear your impression too. I will go back myself when I can spend some quality time with both the head and combo.

Are you aiming for the head or combo, btw?

Good luck. Hope you fall in love.

--------------------

Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 11 2009, 01:29 PM
QUOTE (blindwillie @ Jan 11 2009, 01:19 PM) *
Are you aiming for the head or combo, btw?

Good luck. Hope you fall in love.

Thanks! I'm going for the head I think. They for the combo in the store aswell so we'll see.
I'm going in tomorrow since I have to go out to besiktiga (checkup) my car anyway. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darfuria
Jan 11 2009, 01:35 PM
I'd go for the head, simply because you could just have multiple cabs.

--------------------
Want a website for you or your band? http://www.websiteformyband.com

+Quote Post
29a
Jan 11 2009, 02:03 PM
I'd go with the head to, simple because I can use many heads with one cab.

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy." - Phil Zimmermann

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 14 2009, 11:23 AM
Got myself a Blackstar Head monday, haven't had too much time to play but in short - Two channels, clean and OD. The clean channel is... clean. Loud enought but not crazy loud. The OD channel goes from nice crunch up to crazy distorted. Vintage to modern. Brit or US sound is set with the texture knob.
So far it sounds great. But there was a problem with the headphone jack only giving sound to the left ear so I have to have it repaired... which sucks as a first experience dry.gif
I did contact Blackheart to complain, I mean they profile themselves with expensive point to point amps but their smaller brother fails. They had no input on what could be wrong but they were really fast to respond.
Anyway, great sounding amp and I'm very happy with the things it can do. I was even lured into some modern drop D riffing which doesn't happen everyday I can tell ya. From kountry to Korn wink.gif

Mind though that this is different from the Blackheart Little Giant, for blues and rock - like discussed earlier and blindwillies experience - I have to get a BH in the nearest future aswell. wink.gif
For silent practicing, yes it delivers as soon as the volume knob leaves 0, for recording and for sounds from vintage to modern metal it's the right thing.

So coundclips yet, and it might take awhile before I can make any. Got to get the headphones jack fixed.

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Jan 14 2009, 11:54 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jan 14 2009, 11:23 AM) *
Got myself a Blackstar Head monday, haven't had too much time to play but in short - Two channels, clean and OD. The clean channel is... clean. Loud enought but not crazy loud. The OD channel goes from nice crunch up to crazy distorted. Vintage to modern. Brit or US sound is set with the texture knob.
So far it sounds great. But there was a problem with the headphone jack only giving sound to the left ear so I have to have it repaired... which sucks as a first experience dry.gif
I did contact Blackheart to complain, I mean they profile themselves with expensive point to point amps but their smaller brother fails. They had no input on what could be wrong but they were really fast to respond.
Anyway, great sounding amp and I'm very happy with the things it can do. I was even lured into some modern drop D riffing which doesn't happen everyday I can tell ya. From kountry to Korn wink.gif

Mind though that this is different from the Blackheart Little Giant, for blues and rock - like discussed earlier and blindwillies experience - I have to get a BH in the nearest future aswell. wink.gif
For silent practicing, yes it delivers as soon as the volume knob leaves 0, for recording and for sounds from vintage to modern metal it's the right thing.

So coundclips yet, and it might take awhile before I can make any. Got to get the headphones jack fixed.

Lovely.
I've been looking forward to hear your opinion too.
I'm off to the shop then for a good listen and if I like it I have to buy it. The BH5 will stack nicely on the HT5 biggrin.gif
Well not today, but soon.

--------------------

Ibanez 2550z

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 15 2009, 10:14 AM
QUOTE (blindwillie @ Jan 14 2009, 11:54 AM) *
Lovely.
I've been looking forward to hear your opinion too.
I'm off to the shop then for a good listen and if I like it I have to buy it. The BH5 will stack nicely on the HT5 biggrin.gif
Well not today, but soon.

The no more problem separating the two biggrin.gif

- I have a black..uhm and a black...eh.. laugh.gif

I went to the shop and they opened it up and saw that the headphones jack was (hope I get it right in english) with two poles while it should have been three. The guy said that the input jack is two poles and probably the 2-pole one was taken from the wrong basket dry.gif

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Jan 16 2009, 02:10 AM
Learning Tone Master
Sorry to hear about the head phone jack man, that sort of thing really puts a downer on the first play experience.

Good news is you still really like it! So when the headphone jack is fixed you'll really be in love smile.gif

I walked past a couple of these when buying a speaker cable, felt gutted I couldn't sit down and give it a go, car was parked illegally.

Enjoy it!

QUOTE (MickeM @ Jan 14 2009, 10:23 AM) *

--------------------
GMC Travel Agent, at your service.

+Quote Post
inertia
Jan 30 2009, 01:02 AM
here's another nice demo, the guys is french but you really get an idea of the tonal range

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou4KTcdsuJc

Hey Mickem can you give us an update on how you're enjoying the amp? I'm think of buying one now, not sure if I'll go combo or stack, what would you say the big differences would be, keeping in mind I don't have any cabs so would by the blackstar one.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 30 2009, 10:58 AM
QUOTE (inertia @ Jan 30 2009, 01:02 AM) *
Hey Mickem can you give us an update on how you're enjoying the amp? I'm think of buying one now, not sure if I'll go combo or stack, what would you say the big differences would be, keeping in mind I don't have any cabs so would by the blackstar one.

Thanks for the demo, good one!

I'm enjoying mine very much, it sounds really really good! What I love about it is that you can key in exactly the sound you're looking for. Both vintage and modern. The EQ is responsive and the texture know does a lot to color the sound.

I bought the head only because I had an unused cabinet, otherwise I think the combo would e a good choice too. It's equipped with a 10" speaker, where I'd normaly only go for 12" speaker I belive this one is just right for the HT5. And the combo has a jack for external speakers so you can always plug it into a bigger cab if you like.

So the difference between buying the head and the Blackstab cab compared with buying the combo I'd say it's none soundwise.
if you plan on moving the gear around it's easier with a combo.
Even if you plan to use a 4x12 in the future I'd say it's still no difference since the combo has, like I said before, a jack for an external cab.

And a combo standing ontop of a 4x12 is in a sense cooler than a head wink.gif

+Quote Post
inertia
Jan 30 2009, 02:00 PM
Good stuff, thanks a lot, combo it is then

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Jan 31 2009, 11:11 PM
Learning Roadie
guys, guys..

you are giving me GAS!!! ohmy.gif

i want one of these now.. blink.gif

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 31 2009, 11:31 PM
QUOTE (inertia @ Jan 30 2009, 02:00 PM) *
Good stuff, thanks a lot, combo it is then

Cool! cool.gif

QUOTE (-Zion- @ Jan 31 2009, 11:11 PM) *
guys, guys..

you are giving me GAS!!! ohmy.gif

i want one of these now.. blink.gif

you must have one, you can't resist, buy it buy it buy it now laugh.gif

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Jan 31 2009, 11:39 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jan 31 2009, 11:31 PM) *
you must have one, you can't resist, buy it buy it buy it now laugh.gif

i have already asked my american gear buddy about it.. tongue.gif

doesn't mean i am going to buy it though, but doesn't hurt to ask about it right?? haha

This post has been edited by -Zion-: Jan 31 2009, 11:40 PM

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 31 2009, 11:56 PM
QUOTE (-Zion- @ Jan 31 2009, 11:39 PM) *
i have already asked my american gear buddy about it.. tongue.gif

doesn't mean i am going to buy it though, but doesn't hurt to ask about it right?? haha

Self inflicted GAS !!! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Xuestor
Feb 1 2009, 05:06 PM
I don't know if this has been answered, but is this thing loud enough to practice together with a drummer?

How heavy is it?

--------------------
Gear:
Epi LP with SD SH-2/SD SH-6
Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard VOS Bourbon burst
Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique Vintage Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded Tobacco burst
Fender Stratocaster Antigua with Stan Hinesley Karma/ Stan Hinesley EXP/ Dimarzio Protrack
Jem 7VWH
Fender CD160NT 12-string
Ibanez AW40NT 6-string
Martin 000X1 6-string
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade Head with 2*12 Celestion Vintage 30's Cab

Grammatic Professional auf Schweden

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 1 2009, 05:35 PM
QUOTE (Xuestor @ Feb 1 2009, 05:06 PM) *
I don't know if this has been answered, but is this thing loud enough to practice together with a drummer?

How heavy is it?

Havn't tried that so I don' know. I guess not. At least not with out drummer.

I guess it's around 7-8 kg. Riffs are heavy as led wink.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:21 AM