2 Pages V  < 1 2  
External Sound Cards Vs. Pod Xt
Saoirse O'Shea
Jan 27 2009, 05:12 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (wrk @ Jan 27 2009, 02:28 PM) *
Ah, good point ! No, the Apogee does not have XLR output, only input. The Yamaha speakers have both .. would XLR be more recommended here?

The Apogee is connected via FireWire and the M-Box uses USB. Apple has normally a good support for FireWire. Are there any (dis)advantages i should think of?

Sorry, so many questions, but i learned already a lot today smile.gif

I prefer XLR as they are balanced cables. Jacks usually aren't and you can end up with hum as background noise. Other thing - though this is probably just me - I've always got more XLR spare cables then TRS/Phono/Jacks so an XLR means I don't have to borrow a cable that's used somewhere else wink.gif .

Apogee's firewire is the 400 rather than 800 I think - so about the same speed as USB 2. One big advantage though of firewire is that you can daisy chain multiple boxes together with no data transfer speed loss. That only really means much if you intend to do this though.

As you're using Logic and GarageBand (and may not want to use and learn ProTools) double check which of the plug-ins that come with the MBox are open. Some may be only available from within PT. If they are PT only you could work around this via Rewire but that's probably using a hammer to crack a nut wink.gif. If they are all open it would almost be worth getting the M-Audio just for the plug-ins smile.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wrk
Jan 27 2009, 10:23 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jan 27 2009, 05:12 PM) *
I prefer XLR as they are balanced cables. Jacks usually aren't and you can end up with hum as background noise. Other thing - though this is probably just me - I've always got more XLR spare cables then TRS/Phono/Jacks so an XLR means I don't have to borrow a cable that's used somewhere else wink.gif .

Apogee's firewire is the 400 rather than 800 I think - so about the same speed as USB 2. One big advantage though of firewire is that you can daisy chain multiple boxes together with no data transfer speed loss. That only really means much if you intend to do this though.

As you're using Logic and GarageBand (and may not want to use and learn ProTools) double check which of the plug-ins that come with the MBox are open. Some may be only available from within PT. If they are PT only you could work around this via Rewire but that's probably using a hammer to crack a nut wink.gif. If they are all open it would almost be worth getting the M-Audio just for the plug-ins smile.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

Thanks Tony .. you gave me a lot of useful informations, which will help to take a decision smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
malo
Feb 1 2009, 09:49 PM
GMC:er
About the PODs.

There are one problem with the PODs that they dont use a "standard" sampling frequence, the use 39 point somtheing kiloherts. That means that the driver in the PC has to do reasampling up to 44.1 kiloherts. Thats why the recorded sound does not sound exacly as the sound on the analog outputs on the POD. This might not be the case of the newer models but this is the case for POD XT LIVE for example.

+Quote Post
wrk
Feb 1 2009, 10:06 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (malo @ Feb 1 2009, 09:49 PM) *
About the PODs.

There are one problem with the PODs that they dont use a "standard" sampling frequence, the use 39 point somtheing kiloherts. That means that the driver in the PC has to do reasampling up to 44.1 kiloherts. Thats why the recorded sound does not sound exacly as the sound on the analog outputs on the POD. This might not be the case of the newer models but this is the case for POD XT LIVE for example.

Interesting .. didn't know that. Thank you !! smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:11 AM