2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Best Metal Amp
superize
Jul 27 2008, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I was just wondering what everyone think is the best amp for Metal playing since i am considering of buying a new one sometime in the future when the need for it comes

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 27 2008, 05:19 PM
Instructor
Well what's you budget? ENGL amps are great for buck, not much tweaking on them, but accent is on tone. ENGL Fireball is a great tube head for metal imo.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
superize
Jul 27 2008, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
Budget is not an issue right now i just want some tips on some amps and then i can check them out

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 27 2008, 05:22 PM
Instructor
Head or combo?

Talking about Engl, Powerball is also great for the buck. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Jul 27 2008, 05:37 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Engls Powerball or Savage are great amps, but the very best metal amp of all times is definitely the Mesa Boogie Rectifier smile.gif (my humble opinion)

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
erik
Jul 27 2008, 05:37 PM
GMC:er
What kind of sound are you looking for?

+Quote Post
superize
Jul 27 2008, 05:38 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
QUOTE (erik @ Jul 27 2008, 06:37 PM) *
What kind of sound are you looking for?

A great Metal sound both for Rythm and Lead

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
inertia
Jul 27 2008, 05:49 PM
I'm in the same boat as well, but one criteria I have is that it sounds good at lower volume as well since it will be mainly for home use.
check this link out to hear a ton of engl amps and how they sound
http://rocksolidamps.com/index.php?contain...ist&mid=155

+Quote Post
erik
Jul 27 2008, 05:55 PM
well a "metal sound" can be very many things tongue.gif

To get the basics, what is your preference: chuggy, crunchy, deep and dark distortion? Or screaming, sharp, treebly and trashy distortion?

If the first you should check out the Krank Revolution or Krank Krankenstein stack, it sounds HEAVY and is perfect for rythm guitar with super heavy, dark, downtuned riffing and headbanger riffs and will probably sound really cool in shreding soloes that doesn't depend so much on another guitar to do rythm guitar behind the solo. (Dimebag used Krankenstein when he played in Damageplan)

But if you want the latter, you should check out the Mesa Boogie Rectifier Solo Head, or the Mesa Boogie Mark IV. Those are SCREAMING amps that will sound absolutly awesome in a more trashy genre (melodic death metal or simply good old trash metal) it will give great pinch harmonics and make your riffs sound like they're on fire, though they can also give your guitar a darker and clearer sound if you trick around with it (check out lamb of god's sound, they use Mark IV). Also, Metallica used Rectifiers on their earlier albums I think.

Inertia:
For amps that can play well at low volumes, check out the Cube 60 (I got one and I love it) here's a review: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=9727

It's got a simulation of the Mesa Rectifier sound, which sounds very good even at low volumes

You should read around here:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=13552

Edit 3:
I wouldn't recomend ENGL stacks for home playing

This post has been edited by erik: Jul 27 2008, 06:14 PM

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 27 2008, 11:36 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
People who get Bugera seem to be happy with them according to reviews. I don't know anyone who's got one though.

333 = Peavey XXX
6505(?right model name) = 5150
333XL = Peavey JSX

Peavey rip offs, made in China, but these days what isn't. The point with these amps are bang for the buck.

Otherwise I'm kind of keen on an ENGL Screamer Combo myself for an allround amp wink.gif
I'd like a Mesa Road King but that will never happen I guess. But a Screamer... got character to last you a lifetime.

And of course, Switchblade from Hughes and Kettner, I got the 100W head, get the 50W model since that's plenty already. I'm sure it will please all your needs. As opposite to any hi gain amp with 6L6's you wont get the same thump but instead you'll have the tightness of EL34's and with those tube backing you there's a possibility to dial in some Marshall sound aswell which is sooo sweet! wink.gif

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Jul 27 2008, 11:38 PM
+1
5150...super heavy distortion.

Questionable cleans.

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
inertia
Jul 28 2008, 01:04 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jul 27 2008, 06:36 PM) *
People who get Bugera seem to be happy with them according to reviews. I don't know anyone who's got one though.

333 = Peavey XXX
6505(?right model name) = 5150
333XL = Peavey JSX

Peavey rip offs, made in China, but these days what isn't. The point with these amps are bang for the buck.

Otherwise I'm kind of keen on an ENGL Screamer Combo myself for an allround amp wink.gif
I'd like a Mesa Road King but that will never happen I guess. But a Screamer... got character to last you a lifetime.

And of course, Switchblade from Hughes and Kettner, I got the 100W head, get the 50W model since that's plenty already. I'm sure it will please all your needs. As opposite to any hi gain amp with 6L6's you wont get the same thump but instead you'll have the tightness of EL34's and with those tube backing you there's a possibility to dial in some Marshall sound aswell which is sooo sweet! wink.gif

Hey MickeM, I've been interested in Mesa as well, but I've been looking at both the switchblade and screamer as well, do you like the screamer better than the switchblade, I would have figured the switchblade would be more versatile tonewise?

+Quote Post
kjutte
Jul 31 2008, 11:29 AM
QUOTE (superize @ Jul 27 2008, 06:38 PM) *
A great Metal sound both for Rythm and Lead

For lead, the tweaking is EQ and effects really.

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Jul 31 2008, 04:38 PM
Stay away from Bugera, I've known a couple people who owned them and they all crap out and need to be returned after a couple weeks.

The ENGL Powerball is awesome, of course Mesa Boogie, Peavey and the Bogner Uberschall is supposed to be a crazy good amp.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 31 2008, 05:16 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (inertia @ Jul 28 2008, 02:04 AM) *
Hey MickeM, I've been interested in Mesa as well, but I've been looking at both the switchblade and screamer as well, do you like the screamer better than the switchblade, I would have figured the switchblade would be more versatile tonewise?

I don't have the Screamer but I'm very satisfied with the Switchblade. It's does everything between cleanest clean to the heaviest modern sounds.
Still I can feel that a Screamer or a Blackmore would be nice to have to complement the sound. Yes, the Switchblade is very flexible soundwise. With a Blackmore or a Screamer you'd keep the ENGL characteristics through all the channels.

With my switchblade I could easily with a blind test fool people that it's a Marshall, an Orange, a Fender and maybe even dial in a bit of Mesa character. But I'd never be able to dial in that ENGL full bottom thumpy sound with it.

I wouldn't trade my Switchblade for an ENGL...except for the SE EL34 model... maybe wink.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 31 2008, 05:59 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
peavey heads mentioned above are very good for that purpose! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
JVM
Jul 31 2008, 06:05 PM
Learning Roadie
Mesa Boogie f-50 tongue.gif No but really, it has great cleans and awesome heavy chug to it. Anything Mesa is going to be amazing, I can guarantee you. I also have to give credit to ENGL, they sound amazing for metal as well... soooo heavy.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Xuestor
Aug 1 2008, 06:34 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jul 28 2008, 12:36 AM) *

I'm totally inlove with my Switchblade, although not an all-through metal amp. It's much more versatile smile.gif The crunch-channel cranked is heavenly!!

This post has been edited by Xuestor: Aug 1 2008, 06:35 PM

--------------------
Gear:
Epi LP with SD SH-2/SD SH-6
Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard VOS Bourbon burst
Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique Vintage Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded Tobacco burst
Fender Stratocaster Antigua with Stan Hinesley Karma/ Stan Hinesley EXP/ Dimarzio Protrack
Jem 7VWH
Fender CD160NT 12-string
Ibanez AW40NT 6-string
Martin 000X1 6-string
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade Head with 2*12 Celestion Vintage 30's Cab

Grammatic Professional auf Schweden

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Aug 1 2008, 07:05 PM
Instructor
Mesa sounds pretty good but I tryied my Bogner clone against a Mesa Dual Rectifier and prefer my Bogner !!!
Just listen: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...try&id=8984 Muahahhhahaha... (more info in my practice/recording agenda).
I'd like to try a Triaxis to listen the difference. Anyway there is no the BEST Amp, it depends on everyone smile.gif

+Quote Post
VinceG
Aug 1 2008, 08:10 PM
The best way to do it is to find the amp your favorite band uses.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:32 PM