> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

13 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Yoncopin's Thread, for Gab's Army
Todd Simpson
Jun 21 2016, 08:50 PM
GMC:er
Sorry to bust in to your thread gabe smile.gif I wanted to give yoncopin the link to his own BOOTCAMP thread smile.gif
bit.ly/yoncopinsbootcamp

I'm glad to see you working with more than one instructor, it's a great way to get better quicker!!!

Todd

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Jun 20 2016, 03:35 PM) *

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 22 2016, 06:27 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 21 2016, 04:50 PM) *
Sorry to bust in to your thread gabe smile.gif I wanted to give yoncopin the link to his own BOOTCAMP thread smile.gif
bit.ly/yoncopinsbootcamp

I'm glad to see you working with more than one instructor, it's a great way to get better quicker!!!

Todd

Well done Todd! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jul 13 2016, 01:19 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Any news on the pedal? I finally finished the Double Stop Ballad and posted a REC take here. I've been working hard on my Shred Journey and have been progressing pretty comfortably through the early lessons. The alternate picking practice is really helping my playing and especially with my Judas Priest lesson. So... my new plan to work on multiple things is working so far! I feel like I'm making good progress!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 13 2016, 08:22 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, how are you?

A friend who uses to buy pedals and other stuff says that we are still on time. It's so weird but well, I hope that he is right.

About your update on practice, it's great to know that you notice progress and that you are on track motivated. That's the most important thing. I'll check the REC take in a moment.

Congrats on reaching a new level at the Shred Journey!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jul 15 2016, 02:01 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I read your REC take feedback and I agree 100%. I finished the video a few days ago and have watched it many times since. After watching it a lot and comparing to the original, I kinda knew what your were going to say. I've been working that piece for the last few months and at this point, I feel like I'm only good enough to just barely get through all the notes at tempo. To me, that's the bare minimum, I'm a bit disappointed in myself.

It takes SOOO long to get a piece even close to ready, there are so many techniques to master in just one lesson. I feel like to get from where it is now to "perfect" is many more months, maybe longer... I've been working on my bending for 1.5 years now and I still missed a bunch of the pitches. The details are so hard to dial in perfect and then you have to capture them in one take recording. But, I guess that's what separates a pro from an amateur...

Not sure how I should proceed with this one. I think I've had this happen before, but at this point, I'm kinda tired of even playing that song. But, if I don't keep playing it I'll never get it right. I'm kind of stuck in the middle.

Am I on the right track? How do you guys manage to play things so perfectly? Should I be attempting easier lessons? That was one you suggested so I assume you think it's appropriate for my skill. I have music I want to play/make and it feels like I'm never going to be actually good enough to achieve it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 15 2016, 03:15 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, good post!

This is normal and I think that it has solution. The lessons are really good to let us see which are the techniques that need more work among the ones that we like using. There are few guitarist that master all techniques with perfection, you'll see great guitarists that are better at some techniques than others and focusing on their strong sides is how they build their own style as musicians, their own voice. However, when we are at the student stage (let me say that this can be a never ending stage for a musician because most of us never stop learning new things) we need to practice until we can play our favorite techniques with mastery.

This are the steps that I recommend.

- Learn a lesson that you like that is in your style and that uses your favorite techniques.
- Practice it for some time and record a take.
- Isolate the licks that are giving trouble.
- Identify the reason why this licks are giving trouble. Is it related to any technique? any expressing element?
- Write down the techniques and elements that you need to work.

---------------- OK, all the previous things are done now and the elements that you need to work are listed at the REC comment.

Next steps:

- Work on complementary exercises that help you to master those elements.
- The main goal of everything is not to master the lesson, the main goal is to become the best possible with those elements to be able to play your own stuff with mastery.
- Let's say that you need to work on: Bending, vibrato, dynamics, timing. 4 elements that can be divided in four weeks. So you would have:

Week #1: Bending Week

Week #2: Vibrato Week

Week #3: Dynamics Week

Week #4: Timing Week

Diving your practice time in 3 blocks of the same duration. 2/3 would be dedicated to work on complementary exercises for the technique of the week. 1/3 would be applied to play the lesson from the rec, any other lesson or improvise.

What do you think?

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Jul 15 2016, 03:16 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jul 15 2016, 04:47 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Yes, that sounds great, a short-term plan. Thank you for the very thoughtful response, it was just what I needed to hear.

I've been doing very well in the Shred Journey because the goals are small. I've seen your assignments to other students in their mentor threads, and it's fun to get more frequent feedback, maybe we could do something like that too? I tend to take your lesson suggestions and then only come back months later, maybe smaller assignments would be good to help get better results? I'm very committed, work well with deadlines and want to deliver, so I know assignments would get intense focus during the week.

I've done what you said before, isolate difficulty in licks and build them into exercises. I just haven't been doing those exercises consistently for as long as a full week. I actually don't mind exercises at all, sometimes I actually find them very meditative, trying to focus the mind on just one thing in the moment. Sometimes full lessons can be overwhelming because there is just SO much to master.

So... Week 1 - Bending... I identified these bends in Double Stop Ballad (some are repeated)
0:12
0:15
0:37
0:40
0:46

Should week 1 be building exercises out of those bends and posting a video next weekend of my routine, or do you have a more effective assignment in mind?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 17 2016, 06:27 AM
Instructor
ASSIGNMENT #1:

Goal:

- Improving your bending technique.
- Polishing Double Stop Ballad.

TASK 1:

- Work on this lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...ending-Workout/

TASK 2:

- Polishing the bends of Double Stop lesson. Work on each of the bends that you've listed in the previous post.

Exam and deadline:

By July 28th you'll have to share 3 videos:

- A video playing beginner bending workout (4 coins)
- A video playing only the bends worked from the Double Stop Ballad (4 coins)
- A new take of the Double Stop Ballad (2 coins)

Each of this videos will be evaluated (check the coins value below). You need to get at least 7 coins to pass. If you pass, we can continue, if you don't you will have a second "call".

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jul 17 2016, 06:45 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to plan that out for me smile.gif I like this approach. I'm on vacation at the beach right now, but I brought my guitar and an iPad to practice. I already started on your assignment, the bending lesson is really good. You're the best Gab, thanks for all your help!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 19 2016, 01:13 AM
Instructor
Hi mate, nice to know that my assignment looks good! Enjoy you time at the beach!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jul 24 2016, 07:22 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
In part 7 of Beginner Bending Workout the first two bends... is the 13b supposed to be a whole or half step bend? I've learned the whole lesson, and the beginning sounds good, but I still need to polish the end. I tried recording it today, but listening back to it, it was clear the end needed more work.

I've also made some progress on my tone. I discovered Cantabile Lite, which is a free VST host. I downloaded NadIR impulse loader from Ignite Amps with different cabinet IRs and just turned the cab sim off in my Pod HD. The IR cabs sound MUCH better than the built in ones on the Pod, and I always play in front of my computer anyways.

This post has been edited by yoncopin: Jul 24 2016, 07:25 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 24 2016, 08:08 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, the bends that you've asked are whole step, you need to reach the pitch of fret 15th.

I'm really curious about the Cantabile software, but I'm not completely sure of what you can do with it. I assume that you can open your amp emulators there and add effect, but what else?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jul 26 2016, 01:45 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 24 2016, 03:08 PM) *
I'm really curious about the Cantabile software, but I'm not completely sure of what you can do with it. I assume that you can open your amp emulators there and add effect, but what else?

That's it really, it just runs VST plugins standalone. Here's how I'm using it:

Analog Pedals -> Fender Bassbreaker Preamp Out -> Pod HD500X (Effects Only) -> Cantabile

In Cantabile I'm running:

Ignite Amps Power Amp Sim -> NadIR Impulse response

The result is, I didn't have to buy anything new, but now I'm using a real tube preamp with real analog pedals and getting better cabinet simulation with IRs that are an upgrade over what the Pod HD has. It's much more dynamic and definitely higher sound quality. Let me know what you think, I'm going to use it to record this week's assignments.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 26 2016, 02:13 PM
Instructor
This sounds very interesting! I'm very curious to hear your results. I've experimented with this type of combinations in the pasts and the results were good. Adding some analog stuff into the digital chain can improve tone a lot. Well done.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jul 27 2016, 12:20 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Here's my take on the Beginner Bending Workout. I'm not satisfied, there are still many bends out of pitch and the double stops at the end aren't smooth enough either. I was thinking we push the deadline out another week, I have more work to do here I think. Your thoughts?

This uses my new recording setup, what do you think of the tone?

This post has been edited by yoncopin: Jul 27 2016, 12:20 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jul 28 2016, 02:34 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Ok, scratch that last take... it sucked. I did a much better one tonight. I don't know if it's just coming back fresh, or the guitar switch that improved things. I changed from my Strat to the Ibanez and maybe the flatter radius eased the bends, or the pickup compressed a bit more, or the high frets were easier to access when seated but this is much better. I AM satisfied with this, so if you would critique this one, I'd appreciate it smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 28 2016, 05:48 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, good job! The lesson is on the right track but it's true that some more days of practice could be a good idea. Most of the bends are reaching the correct pitch but there is more room to adjust the ones that are not perfct and to make everything smoother. This submit would pass the assignment but if you feel that you have motivation to work on this another week, we can go for it.

You tone sounds really good. I only feel that it's lacking some reverb or delay, what do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Aug 5 2016, 04:14 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Any news on the pedal?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 6 2016, 04:56 PM
Instructor
You won't imagine how tricky are importations here. It seems that I have the first part done that is to declare the shipping. However this will be surelly an issue because they don't contemplate this kind of handmade custom stuff which don't have a selling price. Neither they contemplate that this can be a gift so the declaration is not totally clear and I know that I will have some issues when I have the meeting to get the pedal which will happen this week. Also, it is said that the meeting can take around 5 hours until they they finally give you the product... yes. this is crazy but that's how my country functions...

I don't know how to explain this clearly in English, but to give you an idea, this is a viral video of a girl getting mad because of the custom office bureaucracy and its irrational system. You won't understand a word (luckily) but you'll get the feel: LINK

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Aug 7 2016, 05:34 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Just... wow... I'm starting to think that maybe I didn't do you a favor after all. Well, good luck... smile.gif

I've been working on Beginner Bending Workout this week, and here is my latest take. I think some of the unison bends are better. The high ones are still hard to hit when I'm sitting down, my body kinda gets in the way. I got a little off on my timing in a couple places, but I think that bends are decent. Curious to know what you think. I still don't see how you guys hit them so perfect every time.

--------------------

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:34 PM