2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Sweeping 101
fgdvir
Nov 6 2007, 05:25 PM
GMC:er
can some one pleas make asweeping 101 lesson?, I'v been trying to learn from the reguiler lessons but, it is hard because no one really don it step by step.
thenk you!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pavel
Nov 6 2007, 05:35 PM
Instructor
Let's see how many people have problems with it, ok? I mean, so far nobody had actually problems learning from my sweeping lessons so let's hear more feedback, ok? smile.gif

Come on guys - please tell it staigth - how good/bad are those sweeping lessons - don't worry - you won't make me angry or anything - just want to know! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Spiderusalem
Nov 6 2007, 05:42 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Nov 6 2007, 08:35 AM) *
Let's see how many people have problems with it, ok? I mean, so far nobody had actually problems learning from my sweeping lessons so let's hear more feedback, ok? smile.gif

Come on guys - please tell it staigth - how good/bad are those sweeping lessons - don't worry - you won't make me angry or anything - just want to know! smile.gif

They're awesome pavel. You're all we need. nuff said.

--------------------
Equipment: Classical/Jazz hybrid guitar. blunt/black humor.

Success is the best revenge.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Nov 6 2007, 05:48 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Pavel @ Nov 6 2007, 04:35 PM) *

There are *very* good, i cannot see a lesson being any better on sweeping Mr Pavel !

There, i told it straight wink.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Pavel
Nov 6 2007, 06:33 PM
Instructor
Why am i asking - not to get another "they are great" - but to actually know if they are areally of some use or you are jsut saying that because every now and than some member pops up who actually can+t see any use in those lessons - not only sweeping but also legato or something, and when it happens i am confused and don't get it: "Is it really that bad or you just don't read the explanation?"

I mean if 300 members actually managed to start sweeping using those lessons it means the lesson is fine.

I want to help fgdvir to get going with it. maybe you should just start from the start and read it carefully and watch the vids, and try it slowly?

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 6 2007, 07:04 PM
Instructor
No one is mentioning my sweeping lesson sad.gif laugh.gif cool.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Nov 6 2007, 07:12 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (muris @ Nov 6 2007, 06:04 PM) *

That is because i have been to busy doing your alternate picking lessons wink.gif and not yet got to do it!! smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 6 2007, 07:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Nov 6 2007, 07:12 PM) *
That is because i have been to busy doing your alternate picking lessons wink.gif and not yet got to do it!! smile.gif

Uhh,thanks Matt,that IS relief wink.gif

Pavel,I'm also sure that your sweep lessons are fine.
Maybe our friend just needs to read more about sweeping in general.
And to try it slow first of course. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Nov 6 2007, 09:27 PM
Ffgdvir , sweeping is not a overnight process. Practice solves everything and if you invest more time and dedicate your self to Pavel ( And Muris tongue.gif ) sweeping lessons, you will do just fine. Just practice and dont get upset smile.gif Look at me I still suck at sweeping but im still happy smile.gif biggrin.gif tongue.gif

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Nov 7 2007, 04:54 AM
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Nov 6 2007, 02:27 PM) *
Ffgdvir , sweeping is not a overnight process. Practice solves everything and if you invest more time and dedicate your self to Pavel ( And Muris tongue.gif ) sweeping lessons, you will do just fine. Just practice and dont get upset smile.gif Look at me I still suck at sweeping but im still happy smile.gif biggrin.gif tongue.gif

there. To master sweeping you gotta be conscious that its not an overnight process, like ESJ said. I think Pavel's sweeping lessons are great. I thought they could be better when i was starting sweeping, but after a lot of time of research and practice of sweeping, i found out that Pavel couldnt have demonstrated the sweeping process better! Its just a matter of practicing!! smile.gif

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Owen
Nov 7 2007, 04:58 AM
I started the sweeping basics one the other day, I think I'm making good progress, it was very helpful. smile.gif

- It did run it through step by step as well, there was clear explanation of both the top and bottom hand movements and a run to start off with. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Owen: Nov 7 2007, 05:00 AM

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Resurrection
Nov 7 2007, 05:23 AM
QUOTE (muris @ Nov 6 2007, 06:04 PM) *

...and it should be mentioned because it's very effective! I still like to use it as part of my sweep-picking warmup.

--------------------
If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can't, you're right.

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Nov 7 2007, 06:30 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Nov 6 2007, 01:12 PM) *

+1

I havent really practice Pavels or Muris sweeping lessons , but I watched them and I think those lesson are a must if one wants to learn sweeping. So after im finished with alternate picking lessons Ill be on my way to Pavel and Muris sweeping lessons.

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
fgdvir
Nov 7 2007, 07:27 AM
Ok it seemd like the problem is with me..I gess I'l have to practice more!..'it is just that I cannot get as helf as you.
I can't even play the basic lesson' in 60 BPM.. and that is the slowest one..

+Quote Post
Pavel
Nov 7 2007, 07:47 AM
Instructor
Sweeping is a really demanding technique. You'll have to spend a lot of time before being able to play it comfortably. Don't worry - include it into your daily practicing routine and you'll soon see some improvement.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Wyvernx
Nov 7 2007, 08:13 AM
I'd suggest to post avideo of yourself trying what you normally do, and we'll try to give you some tips on what to work on, it's worth the trouble. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Pavel
Nov 7 2007, 08:14 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Wyvernx @ Nov 7 2007, 08:13 AM) *
I'd suggest to post avideo of yourself trying what you normally do, and we'll try to give you some tips on what to work on, it's worth the trouble. wink.gif

That's also a great suggestion! A video would be great! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Nov 7 2007, 09:20 AM
QUOTE (Wyvernx @ Nov 7 2007, 01:13 AM) *

yeah, that way we can also correct your mistakes, and that will help alot since you're starting with the technique. Imagine correcting mistakes after having praticed them 3 hours a day for 1 year!!! wink.gif

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Wyvernx
Nov 7 2007, 11:12 AM
Can we post our videos here as well? instead of making hundreds of rate my sweeps threads? I think I just need a specific place in which we can post them.

+Quote Post
jammer91
Nov 9 2007, 03:14 AM
Pavel im going to be frank here. I found your alt picking, sweep and legato series amazing. They are 101 quality (just not posted in that category). You actually VERBALLY EXPLAIN how to do the technique, cover the do's and donts of the techniques and give us a crash course to quickly understand the technique.

The problem i find with a lot of TECHNIQUE lessons is that they dont explain how to play or use the technique. It like just reading a tab and practicing while watching the person quickly and slowly play it (hard to notice what exactly to do). I do understand for a lot of lessons you just need to practice but for some of the technique lessons i fell its mandatory to cover the dos and donts so the concept would stay in our head even if we saw it in another lesson previously.

Let me give you some examples of rules you mentioned which i found REALLY helpfull:
-Always pick at an angle when speed picking
-Only use your wrist to pick (not elbows) or it could lead to injury
-Mute the string upper and lower string of the one your playing legato on (and you explain which fingers to use)
-When sweeping only one finger should be on the fretboard

These are really small things but they really help us in quickly understanding the technique without doing mistakes. Many other instructors cover what to do but not all and i really fell its important to do this.

Im not whining here, GMC is really great and has really helped everyone improve like no other lessons offer due to many reasons (mainly the diversity of instructors playing styles), but id just like to recommend a suggestion which i felt i had to bring notice about for a while. These are just small things, that if fixed could make this site even better for newcomers and people attempting a new lesson.

--------------------

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 10 2007, 12:27 AM) *
Part of the key to success is to never call yourself good...

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10
-Some Yamaha acoustic which is a magnet to dust under my bed

End World Hunger

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:34 AM