Attempt At Instrumental
lcsdds
Oct 26 2008, 07:08 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I have been working on an instrumental for awhile now, my second attempt at writing an instrumental. I "borrowed" a progression from a satch tune and changed it a little bit and totally changed the solo section. I was wondering if somebody could give me some criticism. What do you guys think of the verse section. I like the tapped harmonics part, kind of a "summer song" feel. I don't know if I am crazy about the verse parts though. I have jammed over this progression for months now and this is what keeps coming out. I have zero songwriting experience, this is only my second attempt at a song. I also like the solo section but I haven't finished it yet, obviously. My question is, should I scrap the verse and try to come up with something new or should I keep working to improve what I have? Ignore the mistakes and timing issues, LOL!!. Any criticism, good or bad would be appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkvYiIaUWEM

Monte

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Matt23
Oct 26 2008, 07:28 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Its really good. I would keep the tapping bit of the verse and try to come up with a bit better melody, but what you have already is very good, im just trying to think of ways you could improve it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Tolek
Oct 26 2008, 07:34 PM
Learning Rock Star
Sounds really nice. smile.gif The past part are: the tapping and the pedal note passage somewhere in the middle. smile.gif Sometimes your bends aren´t at the right pitch, not that horrible, only a few Hertz too high or low. smile.gif

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Oct 26 2008, 07:48 PM
GMC:er
Wow that tapping is awesome! Did it take you long to practise that?

--------------------
Wishlist: the world.

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Oct 26 2008, 07:57 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thanks for the input guys!! I know there are some pitch and timing issues. This tune has frustrated me so I just kind of did a one take recording to get the jist of it so I wouldn't forget it, LOL!! Has anybody else ever had the problem that the same melody keeps coming out over a particular chord progression? I wish I could erase the melody from my head so I could start fresh, LOL!! Thanks again for input guys!!

QUOTE (SonofDestiny @ Oct 26 2008, 07:48 PM) *
Wow that tapping is awesome! Did it take you long to practise that?

I've been playing for almoste 20 years so I guess it did take awhile biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

The whole tapping/verse is just something I heard in my head and tried to figure out on guitar. Like I said I have never tried to write a tune so I have no idea how composition is supposed to work. I guess it is different for everybody.

Monte

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Oct 26 2008, 07:58 PM
Instructor
this is some very cool playing. well done

maybe just a little more control but for the second attempt sounds great. Note choice is brilliant

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Oct 26 2008, 08:00 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Oct 26 2008, 07:58 PM) *
this is some very cool playing. well done

maybe just a little more control but for the second attempt sounds great. Note choice is brilliant

Thanks Emir!! That means a TON coming from a player of your caliber!! I will just keep working at it.

Monte

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Oct 27 2008, 12:56 AM
Instructor
Nice tune. I would try some wide vibrato to make the melody more fancy. Watch the tapping arpeggios at the end.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 27 2008, 02:39 AM
Instructor
I like the melody a lot

I would recommend working on vibrato and bending.
Phrasing/timing you are aware of mistakes as you mentioned so I won't elaborate on that.

Good work overall but there is place for improvement like with everything wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:31 PM