2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Play For Other Artists, what do you think
MickeM
Oct 28 2008, 08:57 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Oct 28 2008, 01:37 AM) *
The reason why I refused these offers is I don't play Serbian folk music and I don't enjoy doing that style of music.

When they made a tv show about me on B92 television here in Serbia, I was asked would I ever play for Serbian top folk celebrities (tour record etc) - at that time I clearly stated that if I ever did that I would have no respect for myself as a person and I would immediately loose all the musical value meaning and sense in my life in career

Respect! biggrin.gif

Now, It's easy for me to say because I have a job and a secure income but I surely would like to work with music as a living. But I'll never do it making music I don't enjoy. That to me would be just like any boring work when you long to get finished so you can get home. And if you're on tour with Michael Jackson (or a Serian folk band) that's not going to happen.

I would rather stick to my own style and have only one fan that likes my work than play something because it's popular and have a thousand fans cool.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 28 2008, 10:08 AM
Instructor
I've played with probably biggest folk start in my country,
well not that kind of folk music actually,more like traditional music,
it's called Sevdah.
But what I always try to do it to "adapt" music a bit
so I could enjoy more while playing it.
Of course,there are some artists and their music would be
way bellow bottom line so I would never accept to play with them,as Pedja said.
Good thing is,there is plenty of them so we can do a selection. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 28 2008, 10:29 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Oct 28 2008, 10:08 AM) *
But what I always try to do it to "adapt" music a bit
so I could enjoy more while playing it.

Think happy thoughts biggrin.gif

I think Bosnia is all wrong about this. The so called big stars should want to session play for YOU! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 28 2008, 05:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (MickeM @ Oct 28 2008, 09:57 AM) *
Respect! biggrin.gif

Now, It's easy for me to say because I have a job and a secure income but I surely would like to work with music as a living. But I'll never do it making music I don't enjoy. That to me would be just like any boring work when you long to get finished so you can get home. And if you're on tour with Michael Jackson (or a Serian folk band) that's not going to happen.

I would rather stick to my own style and have only one fan that likes my work than play something because it's popular and have a thousand fans cool.gif

Hehe, thanks MickeM

I have a lot of respect for people that are hard working goal oriented passionate and never quit to reach their goals in life.
I am a firm believer that people need to do what they enjoy and like to do the best. If you stick with this there will always be a way to make it happen to survive to make money, but more important thing (for me at least) is to feel happy about yourself and life you are leading.
I would love to do sports professionally but I had to choose between Guitar and Basketball - I choose Guitar so I stick with it (didn't play basketball for 5-6 years probably smile.gif

You truly are Joda master biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jesse
Oct 28 2008, 06:14 PM
GMC:er
Yeah cool if u play with good artists, My former guitar teacher, which Im ashamed of, Just played on TV with an annoying, horrible singing, gay guy.. Honestly this guy is a disgrace for holland. Its sooo sad...

QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Oct 27 2008, 04:54 PM) *
I agree 100%.

I don't I won't play with a musciscian which I absolutely hate, Like my former guitar teacher did. He played with a Dutch gay singer which is hoooooooriiiiiiiiible, AND HE LIKED IT! I would honestly NEVER do that.

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Oct 28 2008, 06:22 PM
QUOTE (Jesse @ Oct 28 2008, 01:14 PM) *
Yeah cool if u play with good artists, My former guitar teacher, which Im ashamed of, Just played on TV with an annoying, horrible singing, gay guy.. Honestly this guy is a disgrace for holland. Its sooo sad...

I don't I won't play with a musciscian which I absolutely hate, Like my former guitar teacher did. He played with a Dutch gay singer which is hoooooooriiiiiiiiible, AND HE LIKED IT!

Why is it horrible? if he enjoyed it, theres no problem. Just because you dont like the guy, does not mean that your guitar teacher cant play with him. His tastes may be different than yours, and theres no problem with that.

This post has been edited by Guitarman700: Oct 28 2008, 06:22 PM

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
Jesse
Oct 28 2008, 06:24 PM
Did I say that then?! But I just wouldnt feel very good xD

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Oct 28 2008, 06:25 PM
Instructor
that's ok if you have other income sources but when the bill comes to be paid and you don't have money then I see no reason why not to accept the gig. If you're a good player nobody will think bad of you because you wanted to make some money. There are many things we don't want to do in life but sometimes we have to.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Oct 28 2008, 07:25 PM
Instructor
I know, it sounds like being a sell out, when younger I declined every offer I had to play in Pop bands or with artists known in Ecuador. I really never felt the music, I haven't had a big chance here in the U.S. to play for a famous pop artist, but if it came my way, I would. I have bills to pay, and family to support. It is simply a job, I can still make my own music that I love, at the same time meet more people.

My brother works in Sam Ash and he gets to meet bass players, drummers, guitar players, that play for some Pop artists, and then they hand you their cards, and they are usually into some experimental rock fusion project, that has very small audience. The will tell you that is what they love, but they do this because they have to make a living, and I do not think less of them.

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:35 AM