New Pod Hd, 10 times better?
Keep_Rocking
Dec 2 2010, 04:51 PM
Learning Roadie
Have you already heard about the new POD HD line? (POD HD300, 400 and 500).

They claim it has 10 times more capacity on amp modeling (by the way there are only 16 amp models). The reviews I've seen so far are enthusiastic. I'm pretty interested.

I gess the POD site can say much more than me. http://line6.com/podhd/

Sorry, Now I found similar topics.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Keep_Rocking: Dec 2 2010, 05:08 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Dec 3 2010, 12:27 AM
GMC:er
I've heard some good things about it!
I'll perfer a few great amp models rather than hundreds of crappy ones.

I'm sure however they will try sell more model packs separately for it, like they did previous versions...
My POD XT sounded quite digital and not high gain, until you purchase those extra model packs (metal pack made a big difference).
The thing is it's all there already, there's just an expensive purchase for a simple key to unlock it.

After the unlocks however, I'm quite happy with the tones (tweaked). Like to know how the POD HD compares to them?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
JamesT
Dec 3 2010, 03:45 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
I got my HD500 about a week ago. It is way better than my X3 which I'm probably going to sell now.
It feels like I'm playing a real amp now, and really it may have more to do with the dynamics than how it actually sounds. There are a few tradeoffs in that the HD has a way fewer models and onlly a couple of high gain ones. I'm not a high gain amp expert, but I do like the way they both sound. Actually, I'm currently tweaking some clean (bluesy) tones and focusing more on that for awhile. It's the clean tones where the HD is really blowing me away. By clean, I don't mean no distortion at all. I'm working on getting that dynamic for blues playing where if you really dig in, you can get some juicy distortion, but if you back off on the volume knob of your guitar, you can get that almost pristine pure clean that's just barely on "edge". After I get a few presets designed of this genre, I'll get into the higher gain stuff. One thing I did notice about the high gain model is that the distorion is less "fizzy" than the X3. That's something I didn't notice before I had the HD, but I heard people talking about the fizziness of the X3 and now I can see what they mean.

The factory presets are nothing that great. I think that they were designed more to show off the capabilities of the thing, and maybe as a jumping off point for your own presets. There are a few that might be usable dependiing on your style and tastes, but many of them are over the top with too many simultaneous effects to even hear what's going on with your playing.

As for recording, the X3 is probaly more flexible. The HD only sends the main signal out the USB port instead of up to 4 different stereo "mixes" of your tone on the X3. I can get around that with my digital mixer, but for those who want to use the HD as a singular computer interface, the X3 has a slight edge.

All in all, though I think it will live up to the hype.

This post has been edited by JamesT: Dec 3 2010, 03:47 AM

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
Keep_Rocking
Dec 3 2010, 01:33 PM
Learning Roadie
Thank you guys for your opinions.
It's very nice to know what you think, as you already have previous PODs.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 3 2010, 05:53 PM
GMC:er
The new Pod HD is doing something that no other pedals have done until now. It's using "Hypersampling" to essentially use sounds that are too high or too low for the human ear to hear, but which can effect the sounds we can hear. These are called Subharmonics and Superharmonics. This way, they get closer to a real amp sound as it's close to an analogue sounds. You couldn't really do this until recently with a pedal board as the processing requirements were to great and you'd have to attach a big computer to your pedal. Now it can be done. Yay for technology smile.gif

Here is a link to an entire thread about this here on GMC.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=36911

Todd

+Quote Post
Keep_Rocking
Dec 16 2010, 11:48 AM
Learning Roadie
Once again, thanks for your opinions guys.
I've just bought my Pod HD500 but I haven't had time to tweak on it yet.
I hope I can contribute with something in near future.
See ya.
Keep_Rocking wink.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Dec 16 2010, 01:06 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 3 2010, 05:53 PM) *
... It's using "Hypersampling" to essentially use sounds that are too high or too low for the human ear to hear, but which can effect the sounds we can hear. These are called Subharmonics and Superharmonics. This way, they get closer to a real amp sound as it's close to an analogue sounds. ...

Todd

Cynic that I am the bit about subharmonics sounds particularly like marketing spin to me Todd smile.gif .

Instruments do produce subharmonics and they can and do have a psychoacoustic affect. A church organ for instance can produce really low sub-bass fundamental frequencies and subharmonics below out audible range that physically set the diaphragm/chest to resonate. Our audible range runs 20-20KHz, so L6 are claiming it produces subharmonics below 20Hz (and superharmonics over 20kHz). For a guitar anything below @100Hz will have to be a subharmonic and these will attenuate very rapidly so to get below 20Hz you would be talking about the third, forth or higher subharmonic. I think that at third or higher subharmonic you'd need an amp/speaker capable of producing well over 150dBA (SPL) at 1 meter to get any psychoacoustic affect simply because the subharmonic would need a system with a massive dynamic range as the level would be so low. I don't think that there are any power amps capable of that and if there are then any other signal present in the audible range would generate such a high volume and SPL that you would go deaf and so on.

For superharmonics it's possible. For guitar signal above @5kHz a are mainly harmonics anyway. Up at 20kHz and over you are again talking about very high order harmonics (or superharmonics). To produce these accurately though on a digital system you'd need to have a sample rate at 100kHz or higher to avoid ringing and aliasing affects and on modern equipment that means using a sample rate of 192kHz or 384kHz. Modern pro audio can and do have this facility but a lot of home studio audio is fixed at 96kHz and below (some are fixed at 44.1). Again once you are beyond 3rd order harmonics, and so in to superharmonics, you would need an extremely low noise floor to hear them. So again you would need a power amp that is able to reproduce a huge dynamic range etc.

So whilst the PodHD may be able to do it but you will run in to issues trying to reproduce it.

But maybe I'm just a cynic wink.gif

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:11 PM