Randall Rh150d G3 Head And Quad Box, any one using one, opinions appreciated
symon
Nov 6 2007, 01:54 PM
GMC:er
hi there guys just wondering if any one has any input on the Randall RH150D G3 Head and quad box i am thinking of purchasing one i made the mistake of buying a marshall mg 30 dfx mad.gif so looking to upgrade i can get the above package for $1300.00 australian dollars so any thoughts welcomed
warm regards symon

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Apr 5 2010, 01:20 AM
Learning Roadie
IS the Randall 150 h a nice amp ?? is it a tube amp ??

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Apr 5 2010, 01:52 AM
Learning Tone Master
Ask yourself: Do you need a 150 watt Hybrid halfstack?

The price is ok but the amp is only a hybrid amp, half-tube and half solid state like your marshall, just a lot louder and propably more metal sounding... Unless you really like how the amp sounds and you need enough power to play live with a band I wouldn't get it. There are much nicer amps for that much money out there...

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Apr 5 2010, 01:53 AM

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Apr 5 2010, 02:08 AM
Learning Tone Master
I used to have an RH300G3. For metal, its great. You get a good tone without much effort, not difficult to break through the mix. I recently sold it to buy a Laney VH100R smile.gif
The RH is quite sterile, and it doesnt have much dynamics. I had 300 watts, and playing in my bedroom was not a problem. It's far from as loud as a tube amp (and mine was 300 watts), but playing in a band isnt a problem, and playing at home shouldnt be a problem (after all, yours would be 150). But if you are planning on playing anything besides metal, there are far better amps out there. But if you are just going to play metal, and occasionally use clean for parts in metal songs, it's really good for the price. The distortion is great smile.gif
Do you really need a 412? I would much rather buy a 212 cabinet, like a framus 212 cb smile.gif

Personally, I wouldn't buy it again. For me it was a real one-trick pony, with a very sterile tone.

This post has been edited by Sollesnes: Apr 5 2010, 12:35 PM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 5 2010, 03:18 PM
Instructor
I tried Randall RH100 head and I didn't like it. The sound was sterile and in the mix it got drowned. Overall mid response is poor, so I wouldn't count on it when the band kicks in, specially if you have second guitar.
The quad cabinet is good because of it's air push and bass response, but it's huge, heavy, and rarely it will develop full potential. unless it is being used on a large venue for over 1000 people. For studio and smaller gigs, 212 is lot more practical and you can even carry it yourself on short distances. There is however, no way that you can carry 412 cab on your own, specially after tiring day of playing. wink.gif Even if you can, your risk serious injury.
If you want good metal head, try to find Peavey 6505 or 6505+ for cheap. They are not cheap, you will probably spend pretty much your whole budget on it, but if you get that, getting cab later will be easy, and with that head you don't have to worry about getting yourself drowned - it will rock.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Apr 5 2010, 03:19 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Apr 5 2010, 03:19 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Apr 5 2010, 01:52 AM) *
Ask yourself: Do you need a 150 watt Hybrid halfstack?

The price is ok but the amp is only a hybrid amp, half-tube and half solid state like your marshall, just a lot louder and propably more metal sounding... Unless you really like how the amp sounds and you need enough power to play live with a band I wouldn't get it. There are much nicer amps for that much money out there...

The Marshall Jcm 2000 is and hybrid amp ???

btw: anythougths on a Crate Blues voodo BV 120 H (how much is it worth used ?? ) is it good ?

This post has been edited by ruben_mcn: Apr 5 2010, 03:22 PM

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Apr 5 2010, 03:22 PM
Learning Tone Master
I wasn't answering to you Ruben, I was answering to the thread-starter symon with his marshall mg30...

The DSL2000 is an all-tube amp ofcourse!

+1 on the Peavey 6505 that Ivan mentioned! I even traded my beloved Marshall JVM in for a Peavey 6505+ because it has the better metal sound!

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Apr 5 2010, 03:23 PM

--------------------

Gear:

- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Apr 5 2010, 03:31 PM
Learning Roadie
Sorry for the mistrake Zakk :S

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Apr 5 2010, 03:39 PM
Learning Tone Master
You don't have to hijack this thread, just bump your own with the question about the crate!
----

Crate amps are generally cheap and not very reliable. Afaik it has a good clean sound and sounds decent when distorted - it also tends to break easily from what you can read on the net...
It should sound good with a good cab but I wouldn't spend much money on it - only get it if you can buy it dirt cheap (below 400 euros)
I think you would be better of with the marshall jcm 2000 dsl head (especially because the tubes were replaced with new ones)

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 11 2010, 11:07 PM
Instructor
I agree with Zakk, generally DSL head is a better choice then Crate.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Apr 11 2010, 11:34 PM
Learning Roadie
I played the dsl yesterday .. I think it has that nice marshall sound .. but if i want some nice metal distortion it can´t get there unsure.gif it can do iron maiden and stuff like that but i feel that it can´t get to the hi gain stuff .. now I´m thinkin of Randall 150 G3 this one seems to be able to get that nice metal distortion .. or maybe A Peavy Valveking ...or an Engl Screamer 50 combo for 650 e(this one must really sound nice )

BTW: sorry for the off topic but is a Squire Vintage Modified Jazz Bass good to start learning smile.gif ??

This post has been edited by ruben_mcn: Apr 12 2010, 01:51 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:31 AM