What Is The Future Of Music?
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 1 2010, 03:04 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hey guys,

lets discuss this topic. What is the future of music and where are we going? Do you like it?

I have heard too many times comments like "what is with music nowadays" when people hear stuff like this (and I agree with them) :

Do you like the today's trends and where we are headed?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 16)
Rik Veldhuizen
Jul 1 2010, 05:28 AM
Learning Rock Star
Well, we have more possibilities to make music these days. Using certain technology, thresholds are lower to create music; whether it is music I personally like is a different matter. But I can only applaud the fact that there's a lot of people out there making music, in whatever way.

There's, inevitably, less focus, percentage wise, on the usual instruments like piano, guitar, etc, but there's still a lot of great music being created, even using just the more 'classical' instruments. In fact, I'd say there's more music available now, from artists that you'd normally not have access to, given the low threshold of making it available to a large audience.

So, for me, yes, I'm happy with where we are today in musical trends smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 1 2010, 06:45 AM
GMC:er
JLL was great, but I will take Little Richard, this is from about 1964.

You can hear where John Lennon got some of his early influence. John really had a beautiful voice then.

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Jul 1 2010, 08:44 AM
I guess it is the way it has to be.
I'd rather drown in hit music than in rock or blues. If they had played rock continously for 35 years I'd be pretty sick of it now. I can avoid the hit music and I can still find nuggets of my liking. Mostly because of internet and places like this. I guess there is more music made now in the genres I like than in the '70-ies, they just don't get the same media attention, esp. with MTV going mainstream.

So, happy with it? I don't know. I guess it has to be that way.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Jul 1 2010, 12:05 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Jerry Lee Lewis and Brian May. Nice vid ! smile.gif

--------------------

My Guitars: Fender Stratocaster Billy Corgan Signature, Ibanez RG270
My Amp: Peavey Bandit 112
My Pedals: Blackstar HT-Dual, Boss DD-7, Boss CS-3, Boss RC-20
My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jul 1 2010, 12:28 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
I agree with blindwillie, it is nice that rock music is some kind of a niche and we're not flooded with it. Actually, there are some pop songs I really like, and I also like some of what I call "kiddy rock", meaning Miley Cyrus and stuff. They could produce worse music. I think it is great that music comes in so many different styles nowadays, so there is something for everyone and thanks to the internet, you can easily get music from bands who aren't well known.

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Jul 1 2010, 03:18 PM
Jazz Instructor
I think that live music will be less and less popular, technology and internet is taking over.

+Quote Post
Fran
Jul 1 2010, 03:21 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I don't even really know what the "trends" are, if I had to judge by what they air on the radio over here I'd say I don't like it. As for pubs etc. they seem to be switching to "dance" music lately, and the kids seem to dig hip hop for some reason hehe.

As for me, thank God for internet radio, last fm, spotify, etc. There's new great music to discover every day, rock is alive, metal is alive, alternative too, which means I'm happy smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 1 2010, 04:12 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I was lucky enough to get to be in the live morphwiz chat with Jordan Ruddess a week or so ago, And I think that technologies like that will be a strong future for music. Electronically based instruments have so much more expression and diversity to them now, That they have become as capable as any guitar. So I think we will see a lot more of that, And I don't mean techno music. Not programmed beats made on an acid trip, but full-fledged compositions and songs.

That being said, I think there will always be a group of people, however small or big, who will want to play stuff from "ages past". Look at the bullet boys, new band of the past few years, but the sound is very 60s and 70s. Warbringer is only a few years old yet there sound is dead on the early 80s thrash scene.

It will progress unending I think, But I think the basics will always live on vividly somewhere.

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Jul 2 2010, 08:03 AM
Bullet Boys, nice smile.gif Thanks.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Aleksander Sukov...
Jul 2 2010, 04:11 PM
Instructor
I personally believe that music is becoming more and more simple by structure, and more shallow by meaning and message. At least widely popular music or mainstream is. Which is sad. I wish that somehow Bach or Chopin or Beethoven or some other guy would reincarnate and continue with his genius work in this century smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile

+Quote Post
Fusar
Jul 2 2010, 04:28 PM
Music will always be an endless travel, I think we all agree smile.gif
I personally don't like much of today's commercial music - in the style of Lady Gaga. Mainstream doesn't have to be that bad, if you understand the same under mainstream as me (James Morrison for example). Radio hits often have the same structure nowadays, but if the music is played with heart and the lyrics mean something, I like it.
And I personally like the involvement of Internet in the music. I like a lot of these Indie-Rock Groups, and it gives me the opportunity to listen to great, handmade music! Let's remember that bands like Arctic Monkeys became popular through Myspace!
Internet will add new possibilities to music, we can't imagine at this point. Who would have dreamt in 2000 of this Web 2.0? What will be in ten years? I don't know. There will always be good and bad music - there are much more people now who are able to publice their music, so there will be more crap, but I think there will always be very good music.
And for me, classical composers like Bach and Beethoven will always stay genius and will always be an imagination for modern music. Only to compare, if Beethoven really gets loud with chords, it has, in a way, the same purpose as if a metalman uses his power chords biggrin.gif (yeah, it is not a fair comparison, but the musical idea is the same).

Very nice thread, Bogdan!

--------------------

For all who are interested, I own a Yahama Pacifica 112 and a Spider Line 6 15W Amp

+Quote Post
Aleksander Sukov...
Jul 2 2010, 06:36 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Fusar @ Jul 2 2010, 05:28 PM) *
Music will always be an endless travel, I think we all agree smile.gif
I personally don't like much of today's commercial music - in the style of Lady Gaga. Mainstream doesn't have to be that bad, if you understand the same under mainstream as me (James Morrison for example). Radio hits often have the same structure nowadays, but if the music is played with heart and the lyrics mean something, I like it.
And I personally like the involvement of Internet in the music. I like a lot of these Indie-Rock Groups, and it gives me the opportunity to listen to great, handmade music! Let's remember that bands like Arctic Monkeys became popular through Myspace!
Internet will add new possibilities to music, we can't imagine at this point. Who would have dreamt in 2000 of this Web 2.0? What will be in ten years? I don't know. There will always be good and bad music - there are much more people now who are able to publice their music, so there will be more crap, but I think there will always be very good music.
And for me, classical composers like Bach and Beethoven will always stay genius and will always be an imagination for modern music. Only to compare, if Beethoven really gets loud with chords, it has, in a way, the same purpose as if a metalman uses his power chords biggrin.gif (yeah, it is not a fair comparison, but the musical idea is the same).

Very nice thread, Bogdan!

Well said wink.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Jul 3 2010, 01:29 PM
Jazz Instructor
QUOTE (Aleksander Sukovic @ Jul 2 2010, 05:11 PM) *
I personally believe that music is becoming more and more simple by structure, and more shallow by meaning and message. At least widely popular music or mainstream is. Which is sad. I wish that somehow Bach or Chopin or Beethoven or some other guy would reincarnate and continue with his genius work in this century smile.gif

Popular music IS quite shallow, but also, there is a certain trend that I like, and that is to make music relatively simple in compared to traditional music. Simple melodies and harmonies, that is to stay. But, that is quite deceiving, because focus is shifted on various other musical elements, rhythm, tempo, arrangements, and finally SOUND.
For example, I like FatBoySlim, I think that his compositions are very good, when you analyze it, you find 2 chords, simple melodies, but with tremendous emphasis on sound, rhythm and so on. Finally, you get the sound that is very contentful, though it may seem simple and shallow.
That trend is spreading over jazz music, nu-jazz and so on. It doesn't have many chords really, but it is innovative in its structure.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 5 2010, 03:06 AM
Instructor
Future is in electronic music, use of effects, new instruments, new devices, it will only be different, not necessarily worse. Different times, different sounds, notes stay the same smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Jul 5 2010, 05:27 PM
Jazz Instructor
Yeah, I share your attitude! Music is progressing, but not in any predictable way. Future is here!

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Jul 5 2010, 09:15 PM
Future music will be rap, music without actually playing music! oh noes! laugh.gif

Then I saw this guy and all hope is not lost in Beatbox!
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=35812

Future of music?!?!!!

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Jul 5 2010, 09:20 PM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:02 AM