2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Playing Outside In Cold,winter Time?, Any experiences?
Joe Kataldo
Feb 18 2008, 11:45 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Muris @ Feb 18 2008, 11:06 AM) *
It usually comes when management isn't taking care of musicians. dry.gif

Most of the time those are huge gigs,couple of thousands in audience
and all they give to us is some small heating device so we run around it like butterflies laugh.gif

biggrin.gif, Muris if you wanna start complain about management, may I help you? I could start now and end typing next month!

Some random example, all really happened from medium to small gig
(I never played with a big pop star, and I really hope that something is different)

Cheap Power Generator, power under 190 volt
Cheap Power Generator, power over 220 volt
No food
No catering
Too much food
Bad Food
A spotlight aimed directly to you during summer (ok this is not management fault biggrin.gif)
No bathroom
No sleep
No Fitting Room
Etc.
etc.

Yeah that why I've chosen to be a musician blink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
________________________________________________________________________________

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 18 2008, 11:47 AM
GMC:er
I've played outside at about 1-3 degrees before and I was fine although I find it more that its a psychological thing. When it's cold my brain doesn't function as well I find and so I have more trouble remembering songs and improvising.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 18 2008, 11:48 AM
Instructor
I see you've got many reasons to complain on management Joe,and not only during winter. wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 18 2008, 12:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Joe Kataldo @ Feb 18 2008, 11:45 AM) *
Cheap Power Generator, power under 190 volt
Cheap Power Generator, power over 220 volt
No food
No catering
Too much food
Bad Food
A spotlight aimed directly to you during summer (ok this is not management fault biggrin.gif)
No bathroom
No sleep
No Fitting Room
Etc.
etc.

Those things can be horrible indeed mellow.gif ... I mean no bathroom...what do you do when the "nature calls" laugh.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 18 2008, 12:35 PM
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Feb 18 2008, 11:34 AM) *
Those things can be horrible indeed mellow.gif ... I mean no bathroom...what do you do when the "nature calls" laugh.gif

We're lucky to have use of the full stage most the time. Never play a gig over Christmas you'll get to the venue and realise there is a great big tree in the middle of the stage and you'll have to play around it. smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 18 2008, 12:38 PM
It's really frustrating when we turn up as well and there are no hairdressers or stylists. And when we have no make up artists we usually refuse to play tongue.gif biggrin.gif ph34r.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Joe Kataldo
Feb 18 2008, 01:36 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Feb 18 2008, 12:38 PM) *
It's really frustrating when we turn up as well and there are no hairdressers or stylists. And when we have no make up artists we usually refuse to play tongue.gif biggrin.gif ph34r.gif

Yeah I Forgot to mention the most important missing biggrin.gif

well when nature call ohmy.gif we had to order a couple of coffee into the nearest bar, and take advantage of their bathroom tongue.gif , this happened in small gig, no more than 15 show during summer, the problem is that, when you are a kid, with no live experience, you accept everything to make some, experience is the only thing that can't be bought.
In this situations you really learn how to play good in the worst condition...no gig can scare me now ph34r.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
________________________________________________________________________________

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Feb 19 2008, 08:33 PM
QUOTE (Staples @ Feb 17 2008, 07:28 PM) *
I haven't tried this with guitar but being military I've been in a few pretty cold outdoor places. At some hunting shops and things like that you can find little hand warmers, like .79 cents and they warm when exposed to air. They're kind of like little bean bags, about 1/4 inch high and 2 inches wide. Maybe in the case of guitar since you can't constantly hold onto those, tuck them just under the end of your sleeve on both sides of the wrist, or maybe wear a wrist band and tuck them in there. At least keep that area warm, and will warm the blood flowing through your hands to some extent. Little complicated but might work.

Travis Bean guitars have metal necks....could tape one of those to the headstock and hope it has enough to warm the whole neck?

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Robin
Feb 19 2008, 08:43 PM
If it stays on 0 celsius or more, without any cold wind it should be ok. I'm not sure though, never really played in the cold. But a couple of years ago there was a local band here playing outside in about 15-20 minus celsius. Shouldnt be too much of a problem.

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Feb 19 2008, 08:55 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (Robin @ Feb 19 2008, 07:43 PM) *
But a couple of years ago there was a local band here playing outside in about 15-20 minus celsius. Shouldnt be too much of a problem.

Respect to them- thats quite a commitment to music (or a paycheck tongue.gif)

edit: woop post number 999 - thats the emergency services number here in the UK...OR...slightly cooler its 666 upside down yeehaaaa

This post has been edited by DeepRoots: Feb 19 2008, 08:56 PM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 19 2008, 10:03 PM
Instructor
O boy, we have some tails to tell ....... laugh.gif gigs are the best experiences ever! especially when travelling across country! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 20 2008, 01:14 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Robin @ Feb 19 2008, 08:43 PM) *
If it stays on 0 celsius or more, without any cold wind it should be ok. I'm not sure though, never really played in the cold. But a couple of years ago there was a local band here playing outside in about 15-20 minus celsius. Shouldnt be too much of a problem.

Ahh,you north people. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
vikingraider1
Feb 20 2008, 09:51 AM
We recently played a gig in Belgium (in January) which was outside in a big barn. There were about 300 people there but the place was freezing. It must have been about -5 or something. I was doing backing vocals and I could see my breath it was that cold. My fingers were numb and there was no heating whatsoever.
Just to cap it off, the van got stuck in the mud (twice) and had to be pushed out and the hotel had no heating either. That was probably the coldest weekend of my life.

--------------------
My Gear
Washburn USA Custom Shop Idol, Washburn WI65 Idol, Washburn WI64 Idol, Schecter C-1 Exotic, Schecter C-1 Stealth, Washburn WI66ANC Nick Catanese Signature, 1980s Burny Les Paul, Peavey Wolfgang Standard, Peavey 5150 MKI Combo, Marshall DSL 201, Morely Mark Tremonti Wah, Decimater Noise Gate, Zoom G2 1.u, Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster,
Basses:
Fender Jazz Bass, Fender Precision, Warwick Corvette 5 String

+Quote Post
visi0n
Feb 20 2008, 09:59 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
hmmm playing outside in cold, i remember when i came back from Band practicing, i went walking very late on streets with a friend, and we picked up our guitars an played/jammed while walking, it was very cold, my fingers the wood of the guitar went all cold.. when i came home my guitar was out of tune biggrin.gif but it was fun to play in cold.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staples
Feb 20 2008, 11:29 AM
QUOTE (Scott Gentzen @ Feb 20 2008, 04:33 AM) *
Travis Bean guitars have metal necks....could tape one of those to the headstock and hope it has enough to warm the whole neck?

It might, but I'd doubt it'd warm the entire neck to any significant degree. Could give it a shot, it's a loss of about a dollar and some tape. Most likely though since that heat will be spread across the entire neck the cold air would sap the heat right back out.

--------------------
Times New Roman

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:31 AM