Wrk-organisedconfusion Mtp Sessions Thread
wrk
Jan 8 2009, 12:19 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi OrganizedConfusion

I think we don't have to present each other in detail as we both stick around here since a while. You can call me Andy or wrk, as you like. Maybe you have seen my introduction video (HERE) otherwise feel free to ask.

Introduction

It could be helpful if you can write me down a few lines what you want to focus on. Maybe a list of lessons you have worked on or want to work on in the future, so that i know which sound and style you like. I think based on your uploads and collab entries i have already an idea in which direct your taste goes, but maybe you give me a few hints for future sessions.

The first session is a proposal and is base on an structure i have in mind and practice myself. Let me know what you think and we can adjust this to your liking. We may have to integrate the sylabus list which will come soon, but up to there we can already try some things out.
As a general structure, i was thinking it could be useful to split each session in two parts. A Lesson Part, which will cover basic solo and rhythm topics and an Exercise Part to concentrate on some workouts.

• Part 1 : Lessons (solo/rhythm)
    We will work together on some GMC lessons which will cover different topics and technics. I would suggest we choose lessons with the focus to gain good control of timing, dynamic, bends and vibrato. I will propose in each session a new lessons, but i would like to continue to work on previous lessons over time if you are up to this. A first step is often to get the notes down, but the real work and fun part start after when it comes to optimize timing and add some dynamics. At any point let me know if you have some other lesson ideas. Nothing is more demotivating as to work on something you don't like.
  • Part 2: Exercises (workouts)
    Some basic left and right hand exercises/workouts. Workouts are often considered as boring, but it is extremely rewarding and you will quickly see some progress. I will keep these exercises small, so you will not need a lot of time to get familiar with them. These exercises we will continue and modify from each session to another. The idea is to build some kind of practice library of different exercises which you could use as warm-ups or to optimize and push further your technic. I try to build this exercises out of existing GMC lessons, but maybe modify or simplify them a bit. Something like a preparation lesson before to attack the real one smile.gif.

The first session will come direct after.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by wrk: Jan 8 2009, 12:19 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 8 2009, 12:41 PM
GMC:er
Hey man. Just on way to work on phone. You seem to have a very good plan. I will give you a list of lessons i have done so far on here. Basically so you have an idea my fav genres are jazz, metal and country with a bit of blues thrown. I want to get better at alternate picking, theory and jazz theory and finger picking. I would love to be able to play dire straits songs like sultans of swing. I will be on here a bit less than usual on a thursday because i have band practice for 5 hours but basically i have at least 3 hours a day every other day to practice. smile.gif so about 18 hours a week. Maybe up to 20. Talk soon mate.

Also im paul or oc. Whatever you fancy lol. Just so you dont need to type organisedConfusion all the time biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
wrk
Jan 8 2009, 12:53 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Ok Paul, great .. let's fill those 18-20 hours smile.gif. Have fun in band practice today...

SESSION #1

1 LESSON - Main Part

For today i have chosen Muris's - Phrygian Soloing (Beginner) lesson.

Phrygian sounds scary, but this is not our main focus this time. I think it is a nice sounding solo from Muris. Not too many difficult parts in there. This lesson have a lot of space to concentrate on basics and still play a nice peace of music. Difficulties are in good balance in this lesson.

Bar 1 - 8 : A lot of long notes in the first part, but timing can be tricky.
Bar 9 - 13 : Timing is easier in the second part, but a few more notes to play.

During the complete solo, the bends can be quite a challenge. Verify the pitch of your bends by fretting the notes you want to reach.
Vibrato can add a lot of "life" to this solo, but concentrate first on the points - notes, timing and bends. After make the awesome guitars you have "sing" and add dynamics to the solo. Let me know if you have any difficulties somewhere or if you need some further help.

I recorded a video of this solo to get familiar with this lesson myself. Maybe it's useful as a second reference beside Muris's video. There is a lot to learn on this one for me too as my bends and mostly vibrato needs some serious practice time.

2 EXERCISES - additional part

I will try to prepare from time to time some short videos to make things a bit clearer. I did this for this first session as a kick of. Let me know if this helps you.
I used a drum loop in these videos, it's more fun with drums, but try with a metronome first to evaluate which speed area you will start with and let me know. I will upload then these loops as mp3 files with different steps.

DRUMS 60-80 bpm : Attached File  _Drums_60_80.zip ( 10.92MB ) Number of downloads: 238

Legato Exercises (hammer-on/pull-off)

I have developed this exercise to concentration on the left hand only. No picking at all, only hammer-ons and pull-offs with all four fingers.
This exercise is about strengthen each finger and accurate finger placement and timing. The idea is similar to Ian Bushell's "Legato Stamina" lessons, but much more simplified. It's not about speed, it's about accuracy!

I use a dampener in this exercise, something to really mute the strings. We use legato technics with all four finger (including index) and don't have our right hand available to mute the strings. Muting is not the goal here and a dampener is helpful to keep string noise under control. It's an exercise and you want to have your mind free of everything else and only want to focus on to place these four fingers at the right time on the right spot smile.gif

You need a bit of attack in each finger, but attack does not mean you have to hammer each note like crazy smile.gif, it should feel more like a reflex. A bit like you give you finger an initial impulse and after the finger is falling down. If this makes any sense (?). I have includes 2 shapes here to use all four fingers. I suggest you to practice each shape on it's own and after concentrate on the transitions between them.

Attached File  MTP_ex_Legato_Exercise_2_Strings.gp5 ( 1.85K ) Number of downloads: 184

Goal:
  • to strengthen your fingers
  • be really accurate with each note (equal to each other)
  • keep constant rhythm (most important)

Next : This exercise is by now over two strings, but we will expand it later to 3, 4 or more strings (a good preparation for longer arpeggios).

Warning !!! : Take it easy first. As soon you feel tensed or some sort of pain, take a break immediately !

Alternate Picking

Alternate picking is of course one of the main technics, so i think it is useful to spend quite some time of your practice time to focus on this technic.
For this exercise, i have simplified Muris's "C Minor Picking Etude", with the focus on the right hand only. Don't worry, the goal is NOT to play this exercise at 160bpm. The goal is steady up and down picking and switching from one string to another.

Attached File  MTP_ex_Alternate_picking_etude_simplified_1_4.gp5 ( 2.29K ) Number of downloads: 187

Goal:
  • keeping each stroke really steady, even when you change to the next string
  • to learn the switch between 4 picks and 3 picks per note
  • up- and down strokes all the time

Keep in mind, you want to focus on the right hand, so the left hand should not need any effort. Get familiar with the shape first and choose a speed which is way below your limit. Really feel each stroke and gradually increase speed if you want. Important is control, not speed! Observe your right hand and try to be as relaxed as possible. I suggest you to experiment with different picking angles or attack you use to pick the strings, before increasing speed.

Note : All notes are 16th notes. 3 picks per note does not mean you pay 3 notes per beat (16th triplets), but the direction of you pick will change (up-/downstrokes).

Next : In the next session i will give you the second simplified shape from muris lesson which involve to skip one string. From there on you have everything you need to continue. I will give you as well the complete GP file in this simplified version, but i would like you to concentrate on each shape and look for details and not to rush to get down as much shapes possible.

Deadlines mad.gif :

This is a lot of information at the beginning, take it easy.
If we could find a weekly rhythm of the Lesson Part would be great, but i don't want to give you some fixed dates. Upload your take when you feel you want to show something, maybe it's a preview or you nailed it perfectly, everything is ok.
Concerning the Exercise Part, i'm more interested in your feedback and experiences as in weekly takes, but to see a video sometimes could be helpful and maybe a motivation for you to practice them wink.gif

Now i wish you good luck and most important have fun !!

Andy

This post has been edited by wrk: Jan 10 2009, 04:19 PM

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 8 2009, 01:42 PM
WOW. Awesome work. That sounds like a great plan for me to work to. I will download the gp5 tabs when I get home from work and I love that Phrygian Solo but I have never tried to tackle it. I did his Lydian lesson I believe. Also his Odd Grooves lesson. Carlos Melodic Solo in G I think it was. I also have done David Wallimanns Slow Pentatonic lesson and Gabriel's John Frusciante Solo 1. I think those are all the ones I have tackled so far sad.gif I wish I had done more. I will start practicing that Phrygian Solo tonight after band practice and tomorrow and should be able to post a take Friday Night/Saturday Morning. I will also get those exercises in as my warm up before tackling the lesson smile.gif

To sum up where I'd love to be. I want to be able to play all these songs.

Dire Straits - Sultans Of Swing, Romeo and Juliet, Walk of Life and Money For Nothing
Death - Pull The Plug, Symbolic and their version of Painkiller by Judas Priest
Townes Van Zandt - Waitin' Round To Die
Necrophagist - Stabwound
Mahavishnu Orchestra - All of Inner Mounting Flame.

I'd be a very happy person when I could play all of those and that is how far I want to go as a guitarist. I'm not a shredaholic lol biggrin.gif Although playing like Jason Becker would be nice smile.gif

I wish I could get cracking straight after work but I'm practicing with band 5-10 and then will be home for 10.30 to have about 2 hours on it at least smile.gif

Also don't think you have to constantly update all the time as I am quite fast with practicing and love to do it so I might post responses very quickly. Don't feel you have to come back with new things within hours of me posting lol. I know it takes a long time for you to sort out the lessons and video recording.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 8 2009, 02:10 PM
I just looked at the Beginner Syllabus and I we can stick to that as well as doing this. I will post the progress of week 1 of the MTP Syllabus by a week today (Thursday 15th January). If that is alright by you?

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
wrk
Jan 8 2009, 02:36 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Yes, the Syllabus just arrived (as a guideline). The areas are quite similar to what i have had in mind. Just the order is a bit different.

Timing : timing will be important for me over all 4 weeks, so try to be careful with this and take your time.
Rhythm : is for sure coming in the next sessions
Workouts : the same, i think it is better to use the complete period to integrate workouts instead to use one week (Week 4) centered on this. Regularly a few minutes instead a few hours in one go.
Solo : a solo needs time in my opinion as it involves a few basic technics. So i still think it's good to start with it as you are not a complete beginner, but it could be great if you can upload a few takes over time and we can discuss the progress and push this each time a bit further.

Do you agree?

QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Jan 8 2009, 02:10 PM) *
I just looked at the Beginner Syllabus and I we can stick to that as well as doing this. I will post the progress of week 1 of the MTP Syllabus by a week today (Thursday 15th January). If that is alright by you?

Hm, this might be too much, i would prefer to concentrate on details as to do a lot of lessons during one month, but if you are up for more, we can easily integrate more. I will help and try to give support where i can .. smile.gif

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 8 2009, 02:49 PM
QUOTE (wrk @ Jan 8 2009, 01:36 PM) *
Yes, the Syllabus just arrived (as a guideline). The areas are quite similar to what i have had in mind. Just the order is a bit different.

Timing : timing will be important for me over all 4 weeks, so try to be careful with this and take your time.
Rhythm : is for sure coming in the next sessions
Workouts : the same, i think it is better to use the complete period to integrate workouts instead to use one week (Week 4) centered on this. Regularly a few minutes instead a few hours in one go.
Solo : a solo needs time in my opinion as it involves a few basic technics. So i still think it's good to start with it as you are not a complete beginner, but it could be great if you can upload a few takes over time and we can discuss the progress and push this each time a bit further.

Do you agree?

Hm, this might be too much, i would prefer to concentrate on details as to do a lot of lessons during one month, but if you are up for more, we can easily integrate more. I will help and try to give support where i can .. smile.gif

I think your ideas sound fine. I think they mainly want to focus on the 4 areas that you mentioned. So I will follow this through how you envision it. So I will focus on the lessons you mentioned in your first plan. I may post the beginner mentor syllabus stuff though as it is pretty straight forward for me I think. I learnt Smoke On The Water about 3 years ago biggrin.gif

So yeah we will go through it how you put it above rather than completely to the Syllabus and I will work on the Syllabus while I'm awaiting feedback just to make sure I'm fine with it all smile.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
wrk
Jan 8 2009, 02:57 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Great, sound like a good plan smile.gif

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 9 2009, 11:39 AM
Just a quick update mate. The practicing of Phrygian lesson is going well so far. No really tricky parts to be honest but great fun. I hope to get a take up on video when I get home from work later smile.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
wrk
Jan 9 2009, 02:34 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Great OC .. thanks for the update!!

phrygian lesson:
If you are already on the level to have the notes down then concentrate on the bends. This can be tricky in this lesson. You have a lot of 1/2 or full bends here. Try to play them as clean and on pitch as possible. Verify the pitch by fretting the notes one or two frets higher.

workouts:
As said, let me know on which speed you will begin with and i will upload you the drum loops.

Have fun and take care ... smile.gif

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 9 2009, 02:36 PM
QUOTE (wrk @ Jan 9 2009, 01:34 PM) *
Great OC .. thanks for the update!!

phrygian lesson:
If you are already on the level to have the notes down then concentrate on the bends. This can be tricky in this lesson. You have a lot of 1/2 or full bends here. Try to play them as clean and on pitch as possible. Verify the pitch by fretting the notes one or two frets higher.

workouts:
As said, let me know on which speed you will begin with and i will upload you the drum loops.

Have fun and take care ... smile.gif

I'm going to have a look at the workouts also tonight so I will let you know. Bends are what I struggle at so I'm going to try but I think some may be a bit off. I'm getting better at them but you'll see where I'm at I guess when I post later smile.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
wrk
Jan 9 2009, 02:45 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Jan 9 2009, 02:36 PM) *
.... Bends are what I struggle at so I'm going to try but I think some may be a bit off. I'm getting better at them but you'll see where I'm at I guess when I post later smile.gif

I noticed that in your earlier uploads, so i have had this in mind by choosing this lesson. Try to record yourself as often you can to check the pitch.

Locking forward to your take .. smile.gif

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 9 2009, 06:51 PM
Hey. Here is my disastrous take lol. I think it may be slightly out of sync. I recorded the take live with the backing on the video but had to put them together at the end so they seem weird.

As you can see I'm bad at ap and bends mostly followed by vibrato, tone and several other bad habits laugh.gif

Hope your ears are ok after tongue.gif

This post has been edited by OrganisedConfusion: Jan 9 2009, 06:52 PM

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 9 2009, 07:58 PM
Also here is my take of the first week's lesson as I thought I'd do it whilst waiting for feedback. Again it might be a little out of sync annoyingly. I'm useless at matching them up after recording video. And sorry about the tuning on my guitar. It is playing up at the minute constantly going out when I play the strings. Driving me insane laugh.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
wrk
Jan 9 2009, 08:35 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Phrygian Lesson - Take #1

Damn OC, thats pretty good !! .. not disastrous at all. smile.gif
You got this down quite fast. If you are up to we can look at some details and try to work on this a bit more (?)
You will notice the solo will instantly sound much smoother if you apply some easy slide-ins. Marked in the GP file with small letters. Try this maybe on the following notes:

Slides
BAR 1 : slide from Bb to C (3-5)
BAR 1/2 : slide from F to G (6-8)
Bar 4 - legato from Db to C (6-5). you can use slide-down with index or a pull-off with ring to index, as you prefer
BAR 5 - slide from Bb to C (8-10) and from F to G (10-12)

Bend
Then there is this part with the bend. BAR 7 - bend from Eb to F (16full). The bend is off here, but you can easily fix that. The bend has to be played quite quickly which is tricky here. I suggest you following steps to approach this part:

- check the note on the 18 fret. This is the one you want to reach.
- once you have this note in your ears try to bend it from the 16 a full step.
- practice this a few times up to you feel you get this note easily
- after try to combine this bend with these 3 legato notes before and try to make "one movement" out of this.

BAR 9 - 13
You use already the right picking here which is great!
To optimize this, i only can suggest you to play each bar separated as a loop to really get these shapes in your hands and it will sound quickly much more fluid or "secure". The legato exercise i gave you is quite similar and can help you here at least for the first notes of each shape.
The Hi-Hat of the drums are really helpful for the timing, but you got this quite well already. Just listen to the Hi-Hat consciously and everything will move in place automatically laugh.gif

I really didn't expected that you will play this solo already on this level, so give this a bit polish and you will be surprise about the difference.

This post has been edited by wrk: Jan 10 2009, 12:08 AM

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 9 2009, 08:59 PM
QUOTE (wrk @ Jan 9 2009, 07:35 PM) *
Phrygian Lesson:

Damn OC, thats pretty good !! .. not disastrous at all. smile.gif
You got this down quite fast. If you are up to we can look at some details and try to work on this a bit more (?)
You will notice the solo will instantly sound much smoother if you apply some easy slide-ins. Marked in the GP file with small letters. Try this maybe on the following notes:

Slides
BAR 1 : slide from Bb to C (3-5)
BAR 1/2 : slide from F to G (6-8)
Bar 4 - legato from Db to C (6-5). you can use slide-down with index or a pull-off with ring to index, as you prefer
BAR 5 - slide from Bb to C (8-10) and from F to G (10-12)

Bend
Then there is this part with the bend. BAR 7 - bend from Eb to F (16full). The bend is off here, but you can easily fix that. The bend has to be played quite quickly which is tricky here. I suggest you following steps to approach this part:

- check the note on the 18 fret. This is the one you want to reach.
- once you have this note in your ears try to bend it from the 16 a full step.
- practice this a few times up to you feel you get this note easily
- after try to combine this bend with these 3 legato notes before and try to make "one movement" out of this.

BAR 9 - 13
You use already the right picking here which is great!
To optimize this, i only can suggest you to play each bar separated as a loop to really get these shapes in your hands and it will sound quickly much more fluid or "secure". The legato exercise i gave you is quite similar and can help you here at least for the first notes of each shape.
The Hi-Hat of the drums are really helpful for the timing, but you got this quite well already. Just listen to the Hi-Hat consciously and everything will move in place automatically laugh.gif

I really didn't expected that you will play this solo already on this level, so give this a bit polish and you will be surprise about the difference.

I'm definitely up for working on this to improve it as I know I can. Firstly I will give my thoughts and problems if that is alright. I get you with grace notes mentioned above. I thought reading the tab that they were quick hammer ons but after watching the video I see they are grace note slides. So yes this will smooth that out a lot smile.gif The bends I really struggle with. I know what pitch I'm trying to get to but I can't seem to do them. I can tell you when they are off pitch but can't seem to get them on pitch.

Bar 9 to the end I wont lie is tricky to me. I can play it but it feels uncomfortable. It just feels like I'm doing something wrong. Something that doesn't affect me at slow tempos but you know when you know for sure that if you speed it up by 10 bpm say that your technique will be wrong for it and you'll have to change. Can you see from the video if something isn't right in that bit or is it just a case of practicing it over and over. I've only had an hour on this so far so I know I can improve greatly smile.gif

Thanks for the great feedback. I will try and post another take later tonight or tomorrow morning smile.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 9 2009, 10:48 PM
I think this is possibly worse lol. I practiced it for another hour or so smile.gif

I always seem to exceed my expectations lol. If only it wasn't going backwards tongue.gif laugh.gif

I have been practicing the legato technique also now a bit and I will add a video to that tomorrow smile.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
wrk
Jan 9 2009, 11:00 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I'm proud of you my friend !! You have practiced well today.
I listened to your 2nd take and already can see it is much better and you integrated the suggestions.
A detailed feedback of this take is coming after.

I will give a feedback about the other take (Strumming and Arpeggios lesson) as well, just have to get familiar with this one first laugh.gif

Did you use a metronome for the legato exercise? Which speed is comfortable for you ?

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 9 2009, 11:04 PM
QUOTE (wrk @ Jan 9 2009, 10:00 PM) *
I'm proud of you my friend !! You have practiced well today.
I listened to your 2nd take and already can see it is much better and you integrated the suggestions.
A detailed feedback of this take is coming after.

I will give a feedback about the other take (Strumming and Arpeggios lesson) as well, just have to get familiar with this one first laugh.gif

Did you use a metronome for the legato exercise? Which speed is comfortable for you ?

I can do it at 80bpm as the tab is but it's difficult for me a little. I can easily do it on 75 and most the time on 80 but that is with 2 patterns connected together.

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
wrk
Jan 9 2009, 11:25 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Jan 9 2009, 11:04 PM) *
I can do it at 80bpm as the tab is but it's difficult for me a little. I can easily do it on 75 and most the time on 80 but that is with 2 patterns connected together.

Workouts
Ok, thanks!
I will prepare the drum loop and upload them. You will find them tomorrow on the top (session#1) starting with 60 bpm and up in steps of +3 bpm. It seems slow but i want you to be aware of each finger and the attack you use to have an equally sound. If you do that regularly for a few minutes it will become like a reflex. Important is to play each not equal and in timing!! The bass drum of the loop will help you here. It will help you later on a lot of things you will play. The same for the alt picking lesson. Keep it steady and controlled.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:09 AM