110 To 130 In 1 Month, Practice makes progress
SirJamsalot
Mar 31 2012, 08:25 AM
Learning Rock Star
Well, about a month ago, I started working on a simple pedal step to see whether I could really increase my speed. At the time, 110 bpm for this lick was my ceiling, and I was convinced that I just didn't have any more head-room in terms of finger reflex speed to bump it up. But I kept on keepin on, just to see if reflex training at my age really gives results or not. Surprisingly, Last week I had reached 130 bpm. those 10 bpm increases are amazingly big jumps! I mean in terms of difficulty. I increased the bpm about 2 every day and went for sustaining speed as opposed to bursts, mostly because I wouldn't feel that I could actually go that fast unless i could sustain it. Here I am a month later and sitting at 135 bpm. It's somewhat rough - but I just reached it. 130 I can sit on it comfortably - in fact I don't even need to start at anything less than 130.

So just letting you know, that practice does in fact yield results, no matter how big the hurdle you think sits in front of you.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 31 2012, 09:51 AM
Instructor
Excellent results Jams... 135 is a totally respectable shredding speed ! Pretty sure that picking speed translates as 202.5bpm for 16th notes... you broke the 200bpm barrier ! biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
bleez
Mar 31 2012, 01:18 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
nice biggrin.gif
just out of curiosity how long were you able to spend each night on that particular lick?

btw, just had a surf through your blog, some really cool articles you have there smile.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Mar 31 2012, 07:10 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (bleez @ Mar 31 2012, 05:18 AM) *
nice biggrin.gif
just out of curiosity how long were you able to spend each night on that particular lick?

btw, just had a surf through your blog, some really cool articles you have there smile.gif

I tend to practice about 3=4 hours a night and I have a rotation of licks that I cycle through. So I'll sit on a lick for about 15 minutes, then move onto another one, then back to it again, then onto another. So probably about an hour's worth give or take on just that one.

thanks. Haven't written a thing in a while. Got uber busy with practice and stuff.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Mar 31 2012, 07:47 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Mar 31 2012, 01:51 AM) *
Excellent results Jams... 135 is a totally respectable shredding speed ! Pretty sure that picking speed translates as 202.5bpm for 16th notes... you broke the 200bpm barrier ! biggrin.gif

woohoo! haha - I need to get a calculator - this math stuff is too complicated.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rocko
Mar 31 2012, 07:52 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Well, great post! Thanks for sharing your experiences. I read it with a smile on my face smile.gif

I'm trying to improve my technique skills too, and, your post really was some kind of motivation for me.

Keep it up!

Regards
Andreas

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 31 2012, 08:41 PM
GMC:er
Congrats man! smile.gif Well done! Keep kranking! BTW what is the pattern you are playing there? Are you changing strings? It's quite brisk and I can't make out the notes?

QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Mar 31 2012, 03:25 AM) *
Well, about a month ago, I started working on a simple pedal step to see whether I could really increase my speed. At the time, 110 bpm for this lick was my ceiling, and I was convinced that I just didn't have any more head-room in terms of finger reflex speed to bump it up. But I kept on keepin on, just to see if reflex training at my age really gives results or not. Surprisingly, Last week I had reached 130 bpm. those 10 bpm increases are amazingly big jumps! I mean in terms of difficulty. I increased the bpm about 2 every day and went for sustaining speed as opposed to bursts, mostly because I wouldn't feel that I could actually go that fast unless i could sustain it. Here I am a month later and sitting at 135 bpm. It's somewhat rough - but I just reached it. 130 I can sit on it comfortably - in fact I don't even need to start at anything less than 130.

So just letting you know, that practice does in fact yield results, no matter how big the hurdle you think sits in front of you.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 31 2012, 08:45 PM

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Apr 1 2012, 03:59 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 31 2012, 12:41 PM) *
Congrats man! smile.gif Well done! Keep kranking! BTW what is the pattern you are playing there? Are you changing strings? It's quite brisk and I can't make out the notes?

In standard tuning, the lick is
G - E - F# - G - F# - E

In my first attempt at this lick, I was actually taking the pattern across strings, adjusting to keep it in key:

I realized that when I kept the pattern in place on one string, it was actually harder to keep up. I'm not certain, but when I was chatting with Ben on one of his video chats, we seemed to draw the same conclusion that there is a reset time that gives the audible appearance that you're keeping up because the emphasis is the beginning of the 6-note pattern, only on another string, which draws your attention away from the fact that beats 4-5-6 of the pattern are actually out of time - falling behind, but you don't notice it as keenly because of the transition to a new string. Doing the lick on a single string doesn't have the audible "reset" zone so falling behind is a LOT more obvious, making it a lot more difficult (at least at 110 bpm at the time). Now switching strings at 135 is more difficult! But there does seem to be something about the "reset theory", to coin a term.

Chris!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Blister
Apr 1 2012, 04:21 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I love posts like this! Very inspiring! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Apr 1 2012, 07:22 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (rocko @ Mar 31 2012, 11:52 AM) *
Well, great post! Thanks for sharing your experiences. I read it with a smile on my face smile.gif

I'm trying to improve my technique skills too, and, your post really was some kind of motivation for me.

Keep it up!

Regards
Andreas

Kewl Rocko ~ I always get inspired by seeing other's progress too. There's so much to learn and never enough to learn it all, so picking what you want to achieve is half the battle smile.gif I've decided that picking licks out of solos that I like is how I'll develop the sound that I like and think about ~ the second half of that battle is implementing them in something you create!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Apr 1 2012, 08:59 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Apr 1 2012, 02:59 AM) *
I realized that when I kept the pattern in place on one string, it was actually harder to keep up. I'm not certain, but when I was chatting with Ben on one of his video chats, we seemed to draw the same conclusion that there is a reset time that gives the audible appearance that you're keeping up because the emphasis is the beginning of the 6-note pattern, only on another string, which draws your attention away from the fact that beats 4-5-6 of the pattern are actually out of time - falling behind, but you don't notice it as keenly because of the transition to a new string. Doing the lick on a single string doesn't have the audible "reset" zone so falling behind is a LOT more obvious, making it a lot more difficult (at least at 110 bpm at the time). Now switching strings at 135 is more difficult! But there does seem to be something about the "reset theory", to coin a term.

Chris!

Yes, that's a very good way of putting it. It's not easy to explain in words but you've done a great job. It's like you can put in an extra movement of intesnity on the first note on a new string which kind of keeps you in the groove somewhat but on one string you can't hide from it !

+Quote Post
JD_
Apr 1 2012, 11:17 AM
Learning Roadie
well done mate

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:13 AM