Your Guitar Style And Genre, How focused and rooted are you?
PosterBoy
Mar 10 2013, 03:19 PM
Learning Roadie
I just wondered

We all know Slavenko is all about the TRUE METAL etc

I however flit between wanting to be great at Punk, Hardcore, Hard Rock, Country, Folk , Funk.

I think my learning progress is suffering because of this

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 10 2013, 03:55 PM
GMC:er
As long as your 'honest' it's all good.
What I mean by that is don't work on stuff (styles/genres) that you don't like just because you 'think' it'll be good for you. I meet many players who think they they have to learn to play classical guitar or jazz because it somehow legitimizes them - ? While they've never even listened to those types of music. They end up sucking at it because they just go through the motions w/o any emotional content i.e., the love.

Enjoying and learning about different styles is what most musicians do ... even if you're only aware of the one thing their known for. Like did you know that Zakk Wilde is a pretty decent banjo player?

Being into more than one thing can also give you longevity in music whether it's for a career or just for the love of it.
All the styles you listed are actually related to and influence each other so knowing all of them will benefit all of them. The only thing I'll say though is "don't half a$$ it when you learn a Hank williams tune today and a Fugazi tune tomorrow". Nail them both authentically. Eventually the two seemingly disparate styles will morph into your own thing.

I'm all over the place ... http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cf...p;content=music
Hasn't hurt me in the least. Plus - I F'n still LOVE music! The same way I did when I was 15 and first getting serious about it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by klasaine: Mar 10 2013, 03:58 PM

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Mar 10 2013, 04:35 PM
Learning Roadie
I think it's definitely the dabbling and then being distracted and going off on another tangent that's doing it.

I agree that learning and nailing a piece is the way forward for me. More discipline!!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 10 2013, 05:00 PM
Instructor
More discipline directed towards the genres YOU TRULY LOVE smile.gif

I think that's the basic thing to do - you will be more disciplined in a natural way, because you really feel like you want to play that and you will be good at it in time, because you love it and you put time and involvement in it wink.gif

At least that's how I see it - I love A HUGE LOT of genres but I find myself playing only a few of them smile.gif I think it's more honest to say that I love music as a whole and not only some genres. There are of course some things which I can't listen to anymore, not because they are bad or anything, but because I simply had my fill with them - for instance, at this stage in my life, I will choose Anoushka Shankar and her amazing sithar music over Iron Maiden at any time, but respect Iron Maiden for everything they achieved and taught me through their music while I was into it smile.gif

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Mar 10 2013, 05:44 PM
Learning Roadie
I think there are genres I love, like some of the heavier stuff, but I really can't see me playing them or singing them, as much as I love to listen to them.

So that narrows things down to the Americana-Punk/Hardish Rock range of things I love, which there is enough in common to make it all compatible.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 11 2013, 09:42 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Mar 10 2013, 04:44 PM) *
I think there are genres I love, like some of the heavier stuff, but I really can't see me playing them or singing them, as much as I love to listen to them.

So that narrows things down to the Americana-Punk/Hardish Rock range of things I love, which there is enough in common to make it all compatible.

Well then - how about getting as good at that as possible? And when I say good, I also mean writing and orchestrating in that style smile.gif

+Quote Post
David.C.Bond
Mar 11 2013, 12:11 PM
These days I mainly all about fusion and jazz. Although I've played in metal bands and various other emsembles for years. Its all fun!

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Mar 11 2013, 01:45 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 10 2013, 05:00 PM) *
More discipline directed towards the genres YOU TRULY LOVE smile.gif

I think that's the basic thing to do - you will be more disciplined in a natural way, because you really feel like you want to play that and you will be good at it in time, because you love it and you put time and involvement in it wink.gif

At least that's how I see it - I love A HUGE LOT of genres but I find myself playing only a few of them smile.gif I think it's more honest to say that I love music as a whole and not only some genres. There are of course some things which I can't listen to anymore, not because they are bad or anything, but because I simply had my fill with them - for instance, at this stage in my life, I will choose Anoushka Shankar and her amazing sithar music over Iron Maiden at any time, but respect Iron Maiden for everything they achieved and taught me through their music while I was into it smile.gif

Hey Cosmin, I like Anoushka...she's better looking than most guitarists IMO biggrin.gif....However I must also agree with you that she is a brilliant musician...After I read your post I decided to take a look at her on you tube and came across this video of her and her Dad, Ravi doing what you did in the Chat room last week (which was great fun BTW!)...This video is an amazing example of using your instrument to replicate verbal sound....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igDsu5QWhpo

Aplogies if this is slightly off topic.......feel free to delete if you want!!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 11 2013, 01:47 PM
Instructor
Hey man, I am glad you like it and I would be honored if you would like to attend this Thursday as well - we will develop the idea against a chord progression smile.gif See you there - 8 PM London time!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 11 2013, 03:12 PM
Instructor
This is a good thread and you are very right Posterboy. We can't master every style and even less if we work on them simultaneously. As Cosmin said you have to go for the ones that you truly love and be very disciplined. The more organized your practice is, the more styles you can master but be sure to work on 1 or 2 per time. You can't master extreme metal, neoclassical metal, funk, blues, classical, country, working on everything at the same time. The good thing is that you have the potential to be a very versatile musician, but be focused!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:15 PM