Jumping Over Strings
badfingers93
Sep 25 2011, 08:51 PM
GMC:er
Hey there GMC biggrin.gif I was looking at Jose Mena's lesson on alternate picking in which he said that he had to jump over strings to get over to the next string that he wanted to play to avoid hitting the string that he just picked. I have the same problem where my pick accidentally hits the string that i had just picked with an upstroke, when i was trying to pick the other (higher in pitch) string with a downstroke. So i now have to slow down my picking speed drastically, to try this jumping over strings method sad.gif I find that it requires more movement and i'm not sure if i will be able to pick fast again. Will this technique be ingrained in my hands after a lot of practice and thus feel natural to me? Is it worth learning this method?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dark dude
Sep 25 2011, 10:22 PM
String skipping licks are relatively tough, it'll take some time and effort for you to be able to play them properly, for sure.

Many songs have string skipping sections, it wouldn't be a waste of your time to throw this into your routine.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Sep 26 2011, 01:27 AM
Instructor
It would be good to only practice the string skip, only those two notes where it is. That way you'll develop the feel for it.

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Sep 26 2011, 01:31 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I have to agree with Dark Dude; and hey, what technique/ method isn't worth learning?

I think I am a bit confused by your wordage, but is it string skipping, or string changing you are working on?

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 26 2011, 07:15 AM
Instructor
Mate, as long as you strive to incorporate a technique in your vocabulary, of course it is worth investing some time in it smile.gif just give yourself the proper time to assimilate the techniques you want to use, even if it means slowing down a bit. I am having the same problem sometimes, going like: 'I'll get bored to hell if I play this slow until I get it right and it's gonna take forever...' BUT, I realize I cannot force my body into superhuman mode, so in the end I accept the cruel fate laugh.gif and get to practicing slowly smile.gif

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Sep 26 2011, 08:49 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 26 2011, 06:15 AM) *
Mate, as long as you strive to incorporate a technique in your vocabulary, of course it is worth investing some time in it smile.gif just give yourself the proper time to assimilate the techniques you want to use, even if it means slowing down a bit. I am having the same problem sometimes, going like: 'I'll get bored to hell if I play this slow until I get it right and it's gonna take forever...' BUT, I realize I cannot force my body into superhuman mode, so in the end I accept the cruel fate laugh.gif and get to practicing slowly smile.gif

This.

I only recently forced myself to have the willpower of Thor. I finally accepted this and have made leaps and bounds in the last few weeks.

--------------------

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
superize
Sep 26 2011, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I think the most important thing when playing string skipping is a good muting technique so even if you ever happaned to hit a string you dont want it still wont sound

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
badfingers93
Sep 26 2011, 01:51 PM
i think you guys got the wrong idea...forgive me for my poor phrasing of my sentences tongue.gif . What i'm actually talking about is alternate picking technique, not string skipping. You know when you alternate pick, sometimes your pick accidentally hit the same string that you just played on when you actually wanted to go over to the next string? Yep, that's my problem biggrin.gif So let's say i just picked a note on the B string with an upstroke, and then i go ahead a pick another note on the high E string with a downstroke, my pick will accidentally hit the B string (that i just picked with an upstroke) before i actually manage to pick the note on the high E string. Thus, i thought i should practice this jumping over strings method smile.gif So any advices would be appreciated....

+Quote Post
dark dude
Sep 26 2011, 02:07 PM
It's inside-the-string picking. Just make an short exercise to focus on the technique, as with any technique you're having problems with:

CODE
     D   U   D   U   D   U   D   U   D   U    D   U

E---12-----------------------12---------------------------------------
B--------15--13--12--13--15------15--13--12--13--15------------------
G-----------------------------------------------------------------------
D-----------------------------------------------------------------------
A-----------------------------------------------------------------------
E-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The above is a very common exercise for this technique. The 'D' and 'U' above each note will tell you the picking pattern, 'D' = 'downstroke', 'U' = 'upstroke'.

Play this exercise to a metronome.

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 26 2011, 03:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (dark dude @ Sep 26 2011, 02:07 PM) *
It's inside-the-string picking.

Yep.. 'inside picking'... my least favourite !! mad.gif

You are not alone with this. This aspect of alternate picking is a 'female dog' to learn !

+Quote Post
badfingers93
Sep 26 2011, 09:48 PM
QUOTE (dark dude @ Sep 26 2011, 01:07 PM) *
It's inside-the-string picking. Just make an short exercise to focus on the technique, as with any technique you're having problems with:

CODE
     D   U   D   U   D   U   D   U   D   U    D   U

E---12-----------------------12---------------------------------------
B--------15--13--12--13--15------15--13--12--13--15------------------
G-----------------------------------------------------------------------
D-----------------------------------------------------------------------
A-----------------------------------------------------------------------
E-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The above is a very common exercise for this technique. The 'D' and 'U' above each note will tell you the picking pattern, 'D' = 'downstroke', 'U' = 'upstroke'.

Play this exercise to a metronome.

Hey man! Thanks a bunch biggrin.gif Do u know where i can find more similar exercises? Or maybe some lessons on GMC so i can get used to this "jumping" around thing? laugh.gif

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 26 2011, 02:02 PM) *
Yep.. 'inside picking'... my least favourite !! mad.gif

You are not alone with this. This aspect of alternate picking is a 'female dog' to learn !

Yeah....thanks ben smile.gif I can actually pick at 150-160bpm 16th notes...and now i have to slow down my picking drastically because there is more wrist movement due to the "jumping over the strings" thingy sad.gif

+Quote Post
dark dude
Sep 26 2011, 11:09 PM
QUOTE (badfingers93 @ Sep 26 2011, 09:48 PM) *
Hey man! Thanks a bunch biggrin.gif Do u know where i can find more similar exercises? Or maybe some lessons on GMC so i can get used to this "jumping" around thing? laugh.gif

The first is stolen from another forum post, the rest I've just made-up. Not sure about GMC lessons, perhaps somebody else can point some out for you.

D, U, D, U, etc
E-15-------15-------15-------15-------15-------15---
B------12--------------------------------------12--------
G----------------12------------------12----------------
D---------------------------12-------------------------

D, U, D, U, etc
E-15---15---15---15---15------------------------
B----13---12---10----------------------------------
G----------------------12---------------------------
D------------------------------------------------------

Start on an UPSTROKE: U, D, U, D, etc
E---15--12----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B-------------15--12--15--12--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G-----------------------------------14--12--14--12---------------------------------------------------------------
D---------------------------------------------------------14--12--14--12---------------------------------------------
A-------------------------------------------------------------------------------14--12--14--12---------------------
E-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------15--12------------

This post has been edited by dark dude: Sep 26 2011, 11:12 PM

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 27 2011, 09:34 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (dark dude @ Sep 26 2011, 11:09 PM) *
Not sure about GMC lessons, perhaps somebody else can point some out for you.

Pretty sure this one centres around a lot of inside picking

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...loing-lesson-2/

+Quote Post
badfingers93
Sep 27 2011, 03:54 PM
QUOTE (dark dude @ Sep 26 2011, 10:09 PM) *
The first is stolen from another forum post, the rest I've just made-up. Not sure about GMC lessons, perhaps somebody else can point some out for you.

D, U, D, U, etc
E-15-------15-------15-------15-------15-------15---
B------12--------------------------------------12--------
G----------------12------------------12----------------
D---------------------------12-------------------------

D, U, D, U, etc
E-15---15---15---15---15------------------------
B----13---12---10----------------------------------
G----------------------12---------------------------
D------------------------------------------------------

Start on an UPSTROKE: U, D, U, D, etc
E---15--12----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B-------------15--12--15--12--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G-----------------------------------14--12--14--12---------------------------------------------------------------
D---------------------------------------------------------14--12--14--12---------------------------------------------
A-------------------------------------------------------------------------------14--12--14--12---------------------
E-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------15--12------------

just one more question, does this technique becomes natural to you after a while? Do you actually have to think about it when you are alternate picking?

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 27 2011, 08:34 AM) *
Pretty sure this one centres around a lot of inside picking

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...loing-lesson-2/

thanks ben! looking forward to your next chat session smile.gif

+Quote Post
dark dude
Sep 27 2011, 05:26 PM
QUOTE (badfingers93 @ Sep 27 2011, 03:54 PM) *
just one more question, does this technique becomes natural to you after a while? Do you actually have to think about it when you are alternate picking?

It becomes natural, yes.

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:45 PM