Studio Freakouts, ouch...my ears
thefireball
Feb 5 2012, 08:14 PM
Learning Roadie
I don't know what just happened. I was moving a track around in Reaper and all of a sudden my studio monitors emitted a very loud static hiss. It lasted not even a second, but it totally killed my ears as I had the volume up to hear my mix. I'm going to keep the volume down for a little while. That freakin' scared the crap out of me! My head and ears still hurt.
I wonder if it has anything to do with 64 bit. Perhaps unstable. I guess we'll see.

Does crazy stuff like this ever happen in the studio to you guys? My studio is my bedroom, by the way. wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 5 2012, 08:19 PM
Instructor
I don't think that's ever happened to me but I run my amp head as a DI out into the audio interface. When I turn the amp off after a session I get a nasty loud pop through my monitors. I've since learned to turn the monitors and interface output controls all the way off ! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 5 2012, 08:31 PM
Instructor
This happens sometimes with my computer and I think that it's a sound interface error. One time I let the volume loud but wasn't at the studio, when I came back, the twitter of one of my monitors was burnt. Be careful with this.. try restoring the system or at least your interface drivers.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
thefireball
Feb 5 2012, 09:10 PM
Learning Roadie
I have the latest drivers it says. It just did again. Thankfully the volume was down a bit more. I'm going to switch back to the 32 bit version and see how it goes then. I didn't have this issue until switching. Ugh, that still scared me.

Makes me go in panic mode.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Feb 5 2012, 09:12 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Using the newest Reaper? Hate to say it but the version 4.15 I think is the latest, and its horribly buggy. SI chipping, disappearing VST's, unstable outputs. Hope the new version comes out soon.

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Feb 5 2012, 09:31 PM
Instructor
It happened to me a few times! Most often when am trying to experiment with a guitar plugins,reamping and so.. dry.gif
That sound freeze blood in the veins !!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 5 2012, 09:45 PM
GMC:er
Is your interface firewire or USB? Sometimes, if the connection (bus) get's over saturated, it can create wonkiness. For example, on some firewire interfaces I've used, if I have several firewire drives chained, now and again you get the big static and have to power cycle everything.

On USB, not as much. It could be an instability in the drivers or software. If you are going to use 64 bit reaper, I'd suggest building a rig (computer) with 64 bit oS and 64 bit drivers only and don't install other things that might introduced 32 bit incompatibilities.

This is not always a practical option as most home studios have a single computer, sometimes a laptop, that has to do everything. So you end up with a mish mash of 64 32 drivers/os and wonkiness results.

For now, try going back to 32 Bit. Unless you are using wads of VSTs, and have GOBs of ram, you may not notice much improvement on 64 bit.

QUOTE (thefireball @ Feb 5 2012, 03:10 PM) *
I have the latest drivers it says. It just did again. Thankfully the volume was down a bit more. I'm going to switch back to the 32 bit version and see how it goes then. I didn't have this issue until switching. Ugh, that still scared me.

Makes me go in panic mode.

+Quote Post
thefireball
Feb 5 2012, 10:01 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Feb 5 2012, 02:12 PM) *
Using the newest Reaper? Hate to say it but the version 4.15 I think is the latest, and its horribly buggy. SI chipping, disappearing VST's, unstable outputs. Hope the new version comes out soon.

Oh. Yes, I am. Indeed, I hope they do.

QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Feb 5 2012, 02:31 PM) *
It happened to me a few times! Most often when am trying to experiment with a guitar plugins,reamping and so.. dry.gif
That sound freeze blood in the veins !!!

YES!! Ouch. ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 5 2012, 02:45 PM) *
Is your interface firewire or USB? Sometimes, if the connection (bus) get's over saturated, it can create wonkiness. For example, on some firewire interfaces I've used, if I have several firewire drives chained, now and again you get the big static and have to power cycle everything.

On USB, not as much. It could be an instability in the drivers or software. If you are going to use 64 bit reaper, I'd suggest building a rig (computer) with 64 bit oS and 64 bit drivers only and don't install other things that might introduced 32 bit incompatibilities.

This is not always a practical option as most home studios have a single computer, sometimes a laptop, that has to do everything. So you end up with a mish mash of 64 32 drivers/os and wonkiness results.

For now, try going back to 32 Bit. Unless you are using wads of VSTs, and have GOBs of ram, you may not notice much improvement on 64 bit.

I have a 64 bit system with 8 GB of RAM with USB. Never happened until I switched to 64 bit Reaper - and even then it didn't happen for a while. I seem to work just fine on 32 bit version of Reaper, so I am going to stick with this I think. I hope it doesn't do it again. It's amazing how our natural reflex is to protect our body when there is a loud noise like that. biggrin.gif DEFENSE MODE!!! HEEYAH!! rolleyes.gif

EDIT: NO, it did it AGAIN on 32 bit. I bet Reaper is buggy. Hope for new version soon.

This post has been edited by thefireball: Feb 5 2012, 10:14 PM

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Feb 6 2012, 09:31 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Closest for us was just over a year ago. We're doing a compilation CD for a radio station and one of the tracks was full of very high level white noise. Lucky for us we always start with the volume down at 0 on our DAC and raise it to calibration point so we caught it before it could cause an issue. We had to get the track re-mixed before we could do anything more though. The mixing engineer responsible was a professional btw.

One thing I would strongly suggest - you should mix at a lowish volume @78dB. That's more or less at a volume where if someone is in the same room you can clearly hear them if they talk to you with out shouting. You should only check a mix at high levels for translation. If you mix at high levels:

1/ you can damage your hearing over a period of time.

2/ you are less likely to produce a mix that will translate well.

3/ you are more likely to produce a mix with a weak spectral balance.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 6 2012, 10:02 AM
GMC:er
Hopefully it's just reaper. But if you get the new one when it's released and it's still doing it, then it's something else. Here's hoping it just resolves itself smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:17 PM