16 Tips For Playing Music In A Group, by Chick Corea
Gabriel Leopardi
May 11 2016, 12:25 AM
Instructor
Here I've found really interesting and wise tips by the master Chick Corea. Check it out!

1. Play only what you hear.
2. If you don’t hear something, don’t play anything.
3. Don’t let your fingers and limbs just wander – place them intentionally.
4. Don’t improvise on endlessly – play something with intention, develop it or not, but then end off-take a break.
5. Create space – then place something in it.
6. Leave space – create space – intentionally create places where you don’t play
7. Make your sound blend, listen to your sound and adjust it to the rest of the band and the room.
8. If you play more than one instrument at a time – like a drum kit or multiple keyboards – make sure they balance with one another. (edit: As a guitarist I relate this to different guitars, amp settings and effects patches)
9. Don’t make any of your music mechanically or just through patterns of habit, create each sound, phrase, and piece with choice-deliberately.
10. Guide your choice of what to play by what you like – not by what someone else will think.
11. Use contrast and balance the elements: High – Low, Fast – Slow, Loud – Soft, Tense – Relaxed, Dense – Sparse
12. Play to make the other musicians sound good. Play things that will make the overall music sound good.
13. Play with a relaxed body. Always release whatever tension you create.
14. Create space – begin, develop and end phrases with intention.
15. Never beat or pound your instrument – play it easily and gracefully.
16. When improvising use mimicry sparsely – mostly create phrases that contrast with and develop the phrases of the other players.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:20 AM