Switch Question
timbo81
Jul 10 2007, 09:04 AM
GMC:er
ok bit of a newbie question but on my electric guitar the selector switch has 4 positions in can be in.

What exactly does this do and which position should I use because I notice when I am trying to tune my guitar putting the selector on different positions seems to alter the pitch.

So if I tune it with the selector at the bottom then put the selector at the very top and play it the tuner gives me different readings for the strings.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jul 10 2007, 09:39 AM
Instructor
Is that really possible? Never heard of pitch-changing-switch!

The pick-up switch is used to choose between different pick-ups positions so you can get different sound: bridge pick-up usually gives you crisp hard sound for riffing, neck pickup is a bit smooth and muted - very good for shredding...

And positions in between are mixing both pickups!

Honestly, i never heard about your problem!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
timbo81
Jul 10 2007, 11:14 AM
ok cheers, i'll investiagte it a bit more

+Quote Post
JOhn
Jul 10 2007, 11:15 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jul 10 2007, 06:39 PM) *

The pick-up switch is used to choose between different pick-ups positions so you can get different sound: bridge pick-up usually gives you crisp hard sound for riffing, neck pickup is a bit smooth and muted - very good for shredding...

And positions in between are mixing both pickups!

Honestly, i never heard about your problem!

actually i think there is a fender that does that but it might be a knob not a switch.

--------------------
The only man it's OK to love is Paul Gilbert.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 10 2007, 01:58 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jul 10 2007, 04:39 AM) *

Got one on my Variax smile.gif

But Pavel is right - the switch does not change pitch it changes tone. What it might do is confuse the tuner when you switch from one position to the other as the sound will have different harmonics in it depending on the position.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Jul 10 2007, 02:21 PM
The new VG Stratocaster have some fance switch settings:
"It’s an incredibly versatile instrument that gives you 37 different Stratocaster, Telecaster®, humbucking, 12-string and acoustic sounds, plus five alternate tunings, all at the simple flip of a switch or twist of a knob. It all comes in the gracefully familiar form of an American Series Stratocaster, and it’s designed to deliver each sound with level, balanced tone and volume—no need to readjust your amp settings with each change in guitar sound."

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0117500706

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 10 2007, 02:25 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (blindwillie @ Jul 10 2007, 09:21 AM) *
The new VG Stratocaster have some fance switch settings:
"It’s an incredibly versatile instrument that gives you 37 different Stratocaster, Telecaster®, humbucking, 12-string and acoustic sounds, plus five alternate tunings, all at the simple flip of a switch or twist of a knob. It all comes in the gracefully familiar form of an American Series Stratocaster, and it’s designed to deliver each sound with level, balanced tone and volume—no need to readjust your amp settings with each change in guitar sound."

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0117500706

Sniff - the VG is just a wannabe Variax - Line 6 beat them to it by a couple of years smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Jul 10 2007, 02:30 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 10 2007, 03:25 PM) *
Sniff - the VG is just a wannabe Variax - Line 6 beat them to it by a couple of years smile.gif

Aaah. *nods in understanding* wink.gif

Just wanted to point it out anyway.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Jul 10 2007, 03:13 PM
i think i will put a podxtl and a line6 variax in my wishlist, they seem to be pretty nifty difty's!

- Hemlok

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 11 2007, 12:47 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (timbo81 @ Jul 10 2007, 10:04 AM) *
ok bit of a newbie question but on my electric guitar the selector switch has 4 positions in can be in.

What exactly does this do and which position should I use because I notice when I am trying to tune my guitar putting the selector on different positions seems to alter the pitch.

So if I tune it with the selector at the bottom then put the selector at the very top and play it the tuner gives me different readings for the strings.

Knowing brand and model of your guitar would help. smile.gif

+Quote Post
ibanezkiller
Jul 15 2007, 05:35 AM
Do you have a fender VG because it does that... Check the fender vG out alt. tune with a switch

--------------------
METALLICA ROCKS!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:43 PM