Training The Mind
Ben Higgins
Apr 13 2012, 08:55 AM
Instructor
I've just been reading a great book by Arnold Schwarzenegger. In it, he talks a lot about his mental approach to his training and success. Here's a small section from Arnold himself

'..Because the mind motivates you to train the body, you have to train the mind first. If the mind doesn't want to lift weights, the body won't lift them....... The secret is to make your mind work for you, not against you. This means constantly setting up challenges you can meet - either today, next week, or next month. " I can't " should be permanently stricken from your vocabulary, especially the vocabulary of your thoughts.'

Elsewhere in the book, he also talked about power lifters who would mentally psyche themselves up to lift a massive weight. They would prepare constantly by lifting the weight in their minds so they were able to lift it for real. Arnold stressed how important it was to successfully do something in your mind before being able to do it physically. If you faltered, or had doubt, you wouldn't be able to lift the weight. The mind has to achieve something before the body does.

I guess it makes sense when we look at it like that. It's like a continuation. If the mind is correctly aligned then the body can follow. A good word I discovered a few months back that could describe the ideal relationship between mind and body is congruent. When we are congruent in our thoughts and actions, we achieve whatever we want to.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Apr 13 2012, 10:15 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Yes, I love Arnold's quotes! He has a lot of wisdom to share and I totally agree with his mental approach.

Here's one video I watched a few days ago and it's really inspiring, worth a watch smile.gif

Something I remembered from this video:
"If you think "maybe", you're gonna be a loser. You're never gonna make it. There's no "maybe", you've got to get up and say - I'm gonna be the champion!"

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Dinaga: Apr 13 2012, 10:17 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Apr 13 2012, 11:21 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dinaga @ Apr 13 2012, 10:15 AM) *
Yes, I love Arnold's quotes! He has a lot of wisdom to share and I totally agree with his mental approach.

Here's one video I watched a few days ago and it's really inspiring, worth a watch smile.gif

Something I remembered from this video:
"If you think "maybe", you're gonna be a loser. You're never gonna make it. There's no "maybe", you've got to get up and say - I'm gonna be the champion!"

Awesome ! Thanks D-Warrior, what a great video cool.gif

Everybody watch this now !

+Quote Post
JD_
Apr 13 2012, 11:56 AM
Learning Roadie
Great Thread....

It's a subject that would be faced by anyone in any field, who is trying to get the the top level. Same principals apply.

Great Arnie vid cool.gif

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Apr 13 2012, 01:11 PM
Learning Tone Master
A quote up the same avenue, that I once (or twice) heard from a very wise man:
"The only opponent is within!"

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Apr 13 2012, 01:44 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
This is still the best video of Arnold ever.

Warning! Language!

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Apr 13 2012, 01:49 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
QUOTE (HungryForHeaven @ Apr 13 2012, 02:11 PM) *

Wow, you've heard this from a wise man? I've only heard it from Ben up until now... tongue.gif

*5000 push-ups later* Sorry Sensei...

It's a great quote and sums up what Arnie says in the book (which I also read and can recommend to anyone) and in the video.
IMO he is one of the most underrated persons ever, so many people think he is just a stupid bodybuilder and actor (and politician), but if I am not mistaken he was one of the first athletes to focus on mental training and mindset.

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
dark dude
Apr 13 2012, 04:02 PM
GMC:er
Years ago, I was very sceptical about this, but in recent years, I've started to show more interest towards this thought.

A positive mindset is more likely to help you than not, and running the goal through your mind hundreds, even thousands of times will normalize it, breaking down some barriers.

I haven't put it to much use outside of playing football, but will try to apply it to guitar.

That Vai video about 'crystallising' what you want to accomplish on guitar comes to mind.

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Apr 13 2012, 04:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (HungryForHeaven @ Apr 13 2012, 01:11 PM) *

That guys does indeed sound very wise smile.gif

QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Apr 13 2012, 01:49 PM) *
Wow, you've heard this from a wise man? I've only heard it from Ben up until now... tongue.gif

A lot wiser than this guy who's publicly earned himself another 7,000 pushups and 3 days of squats carrying Cosmin on his shoulders ! tongue.gif

QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Apr 13 2012, 01:49 PM) *
It's a great quote and sums up what Arnie says in the book (which I also read and can recommend to anyone) and in the video.
IMO he is one of the most underrated persons ever, so many people think he is just a stupid bodybuilder and actor (and politician), but if I am not mistaken he was one of the first athletes to focus on mental training and mindset.

Yeah I totally agree. It's easy to think of him as just the actor and stuff but when you look at who he was before that, you realise just how groundbreaking in his field he was.

QUOTE (dark dude @ Apr 13 2012, 04:02 PM) *
Years ago, I was very sceptical about this, but in recent years, I've started to show more interest towards this thought.

A positive mindset is more likely to help you than not, and running the goal through your mind hundreds, even thousands of times will normalize it, breaking down some barriers.

I haven't put it to much use outside of playing football, but will try to apply it to guitar.

That Vai video about 'crystallising' what you want to accomplish on guitar comes to mind.

Yeah, Vai is definitely in that school of thought too smile.gif

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Apr 13 2012, 05:21 PM
Learning Roadie
Arnie has some great insights. I always found lessons learnt in the gym could be applied to most other aspects of life.

From 100% focus on the moment at hand to progress in small steps to eventually reaching a goal and that it's the challenge and pushing against resistance is what makes us grow

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Apr 13 2012, 06:02 PM
Learning Rock Star
Great thoughts Ben! I'll have to get the book and read it! I already read the Little Choochoo that could, so this will be the next stage in my mental growth! Thanks! cool.gif

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 13 2012, 06:42 PM
Instructor
I'm discovering an Arnold's side that I didn't know! I love this ideology so I¡m now checking his books at wiki. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Apr 13 2012, 09:20 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Apr 13 2012, 06:02 PM) *
Great thoughts Ben! I'll have to get the book and read it! I already read the Little Choochoo that could, so this will be the next stage in my mental growth! Thanks! cool.gif

The book in question is 'Arnold: Education of a Bodybuilder'

He wrote another body building book that he's famous for but this is the one I'm interested in because it's half autobiography written about his life by himself. I'm not a body builder but the book is definitely worth a place in anyone's collection smile.gif

+Quote Post
DevilsWolf
Apr 14 2012, 12:21 AM
It is the holistic view of the human body.

Psychological, physical and social aspects and the way we handle them, decide what we are capable of. If you have a broken hand it'll affect the way you think (psychological) about your guitar playing, if your hand is fine but your mind is troubled, it'll again affect the way you physically play guitar. If you play well but your audience think otherwise it may again affect your playing.

The hollistic view is a concept widely used in medical practise both physical and psychological. Insight in this may help you progress.

+Quote Post
DarkWaveRiffer
Apr 14 2012, 02:26 AM
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Apr 13 2012, 07:49 AM) *

you want to talk about mind set...check out Frank Zane. Him and Arnold worked out together. The guy didn't have the size, but he was shredded, and was Mr.Olympia. He was the first to win at lower weight. Frank Zane is all about mind set. Also check out Bruce Lee. His principles are applicable even with guitar. The Tao of Jeet Kune do. Take what is essential, and discard the rest. No way, is way. basically he was against traditional methods of martial arts because they were steeped in customs, not in effective. People practicing moves for 1000 of years, and didn't know why... Any ways mind set is key. once you have made up your mind you will play guitar, and get better. You will know.

--------------------
Keep on playing!

DWR

My goal is to learn to play guitar like its my second language, and my first words to the world will be "Bite Me!".

"Just fn play already!"

Guitarist Title: Air Guitarist

Guitarist Title thread

DWR's EPIC Practice Journal l

DarkWaveRiffer's Modern Music Mentored By Cosmin Thread

Lead Mastery Mentored by Gab

Attacking Scales Mentored By Alex Thread

Want to know how to practice for success?? Click here!!

Are you sabotaging your practice? Click here!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 14 2012, 03:08 AM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Apr 13 2012, 03:55 AM) *
I've just been reading a great book by Arnold Schwarzenegger. In it, he talks a lot about his mental approach to his training and success. Here's a small section from Arnold himself

Sounds almost ZEN? Arnold has embraced much of the Eastern Way so to speak and is seeking "Balance" and pointing out the critical practice of "visualization" among other things. Great stuff! I had not thought to read his books but I'm impressed I must say. I'll put him on my reading list.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Apr 14 2012, 10:27 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DarkWaveRiffer @ Apr 14 2012, 02:26 AM) *
you want to talk about mind set...check out Frank Zane. Him and Arnold worked out together. The guy didn't have the size, but he was shredded, and was Mr.Olympia.

Yeah, in fact Arnold lost against him went he went for his (second) Mr Olypmia title in the States I think ?

QUOTE (DarkWaveRiffer @ Apr 14 2012, 02:26 AM) *
Also check out Bruce Lee. His principles are applicable even with guitar. The Tao of Jeet Kune do. Take what is essential, and discard the rest.

Absolutely, we're very fond or Mr Lee's philosophies ! I totally encourage people to apply that to the guitar.. learn what you want and what you need to play what you want. Don't learn something just because you think you have to. smile.gif

+Quote Post
DarkWaveRiffer
Apr 16 2012, 08:03 AM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Apr 14 2012, 04:27 AM) *
Yeah, in fact Arnold lost against him went he went for his (second) Mr Olypmia title in the States I think ?

Absolutely, we're very fond or Mr Lee's philosophies ! I totally encourage people to apply that to the guitar.. learn what you want and what you need to play what you want. Don't learn something just because you think you have to. smile.gif

Actually Frank Zane won 3 Olympias! but my main point for mentioning him, he is really into meditation, creative visualization. Creative Visualization probably deserves its own thread, but you can practice guitar by visualizing yourself practicing,the more you put into the visualization (sight, feel, smell, taste) strengthens it. I will write more about this later. Need my sleep.

--------------------
Keep on playing!

DWR

My goal is to learn to play guitar like its my second language, and my first words to the world will be "Bite Me!".

"Just fn play already!"

Guitarist Title: Air Guitarist

Guitarist Title thread

DWR's EPIC Practice Journal l

DarkWaveRiffer's Modern Music Mentored By Cosmin Thread

Lead Mastery Mentored by Gab

Attacking Scales Mentored By Alex Thread

Want to know how to practice for success?? Click here!!

Are you sabotaging your practice? Click here!

+Quote Post
bleez
Apr 16 2012, 07:35 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Ive tried a few times to get into that mindset.
Because I train with weights a lot and have done for many years, Ive read a lot and watched a lot of Arnold, Frank Zane and Tom Platz ( another dude heavily into this kind of mindset ). I even went through a spell of learning to meditate but Ive never been able to make it work. Im either too negative, too sceptical or just not intelligent enough!

Ive often thought that self doubt is a good thing to have. it can be debilitating on one hand but it can keep you sharp, at least that's what I tell myself.
I used to do some MMA and would frequently fight guys half my age who were just full of confidence..... I did enjoy the moment they realised that their confidence may be a little misplaced wink.gif

But that said, I really did envy them their self confidence. I dont know where they got it from but I wished I had some of it!

This post has been edited by bleez: Apr 16 2012, 07:37 PM

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Apr 16 2012, 08:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Apr 16 2012, 07:35 PM) *
Ive tried a few times to get into that mindset.
Because I train with weights a lot and have done for many years, Ive read a lot and watched a lot of Arnold, Frank Zane and Tom Platz ( another dude heavily into this kind of mindset ). I even went through a spell of learning to meditate but Ive never been able to make it work. Im either too negative, too sceptical or just not intelligent enough!

Ive often thought that self doubt is a good thing to have. it can be debilitating on one hand but it can keep you sharp, at least that's what I tell myself.
I used to do some MMA and would frequently fight guys half my age who were just full of confidence..... I did enjoy the moment they realised that their confidence may be a little misplaced wink.gif

But that said, I really did envy them their self confidence. I dont know where they got it from but I wished I had some of it!

A cool revelation I had a few years ago was that confidence isn't a real thing that we own.. it's an attitude, state of mind. Any of us can access it and use it but it's not an assett that people just possess naturally, which is a good thing smile.gif It means it's accessable to all, anytime. Easier said than done, sometimes.. but it is there !

QUOTE (bleez @ Apr 16 2012, 07:35 PM) *

I know what you're getting at but I would say it's not self doubt you want, it's an ability to be critical of yourself to make sure you're not getting complacent. It's something that not many of the famous rock or metal bands seem to possess once they get past a certain level of success wink.gif

Stay hungry !

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:02 AM