Specific Guitar Question
thelax
Nov 19 2007, 09:19 PM
GMC:er
first of all, i did check the gear guide (which had some brands listed)
and i'm sort of a beginner when it comes to choosing a good axe

well, i'm into metals and right now i have a Fender Mexican Stratocaster, SSS
first of all, i just want some people's opinion on this... i know SSS isn't really for metal stuff
but i heard some say that MIM Standard Strat is the best in the price range and i heard others say that it's just bad...
do you people think i should change and get a new guitar more suited for metal, or is MIM SSS fine?

also, what are some specific guitar models that are affordable, and still sound good for metals?
(i'm not like a pro or anything but i'll need something good enough to jam with my buddies later down the road)
I TEND to shy away from Ibanez guitars (for some reasons), but please, feel free to suggest me any gear

thanks

btw, i know there are some topic about which metal guitar is good
but my main question is the one about my strat

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by thelax: Nov 19 2007, 09:52 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 15)
Smikey2006
Nov 19 2007, 09:55 PM
Schecter Omen or Demon are good metal starting guitars. Jackson also makes alot of wicked entry level guitars that IMO sound alot better than fenders... For metal i definatly recommend the HH setup. or even HHH on my custom im actually using either a HH or just H for simplicity. Alot of the metal sound comes from your pedals and amp..

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
lefty01
Nov 19 2007, 10:03 PM
Don't be so quick to shoot down your strat. Yes, you actually can play metal with a strat. It has more to do with (maybe), a higher out put type of pickup. Replacing the brdige pu, with something hotter than your stock would be a great help. It is also much cheaper than a new ax. biggrin.gif DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan ( as well as many others), make a humbucker pu, that fits into a single coil route.

This post has been edited by lefty01: Nov 19 2007, 10:03 PM

+Quote Post
Robin
Nov 19 2007, 10:04 PM
Fender strats are fine guitars, how about replacing the bridge pickup with a humbucker?

+Quote Post
lefty01
Nov 19 2007, 10:12 PM
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiM...ckup?sku=302450

You can review this.

+Quote Post
Twibeard
Nov 19 2007, 10:23 PM
QUOTE (lefty01 @ Nov 19 2007, 10:12 PM) *

I got an old Mexican Strat too that I would love to upgrade. Do you guys recommend any other pickup exchanges than the DiMarzio DP182 Fast Track 2 Pickup on the bridge??

--------------------

Guitar: Ibanez RG370DXCE my backup is a Fender Strat.
Amps: Marshall MG and Line6 Spider III 75W combo (preferred)

Recording stuff: Cubase SX3, Logic emagic, Novation ReMote SL, M-Audio Pro
Synth experiance: Roland, MoTu, Native Instrument, Spectrasonics and Steinberg
Main VST's: Kontakt2, FM8, Bass station, Ezdrummer, MoTu EI, Atmosphere, Crystall

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Nov 19 2007, 10:23 PM
Learning Tone Master
It helps when you tell us how much money you want/can spend for your new guitar. The Pickup-question is easily answered with Humbuckers.

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Nov 19 2007, 10:24 PM
QUOTE (lefty01 @ Nov 19 2007, 09:03 PM) *
Don't be so quick to shoot down your strat. Yes, you actually can play metal with a strat. It has more to do with (maybe), a higher out put type of pickup. Replacing the brdige pu, with something hotter than your stock would be a great help. It is also much cheaper than a new ax. biggrin.gif DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan ( as well as many others), make a humbucker pu, that fits into a single coil route.

EXACTLY! iron maiden uses strats dont they? you can get hotrails (duncan) or fasttracks (dimarzio) and they are both great tongue.gif anyway you can easily cut the holes bigger to fit in humbuckers if you want, it isnt that hard, i dont it b4. is real easy coz the loaded scratchplate is just a bit of plastic really and you can draw on it then cut it tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Nov 19 2007, 10:40 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (lefty01 @ Nov 19 2007, 09:03 PM) *

Totally agree, Ive always used jacksons or Ibanez guitars, but recently deliberatly went out and bought a Mexican strat, changed the bridge pickup for a hotrails (single coil size) bridge pickup, I added a coil tap too to kinda keep the original sound as well if I wanted, but in humbucking mode it sounds gr8, its become pretty much my main guitar lately. smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
lefty01
Nov 19 2007, 10:50 PM
The DiMarzio home web site, has tons of info of exactly what each of there pickups will do for you. It has a chart with each one, and that will give you an idea as to out put and "style" of music. I hope this helps a bit.
www.DiMarzio.com biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
thelax
Nov 19 2007, 11:05 PM
hmm.... i see the majority of you guys are recommending the bridge pickup change
the problem is that there is no guitar shop that can do that for me around here (i would have to drive for an hour or two, but i simply don't have the time)
and i wouldn't DARE do it myself...

btw, thanks guys, for quick replies

This post has been edited by thelax: Nov 19 2007, 11:08 PM

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Nov 19 2007, 11:11 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (thelax @ Nov 19 2007, 10:05 PM) *
hmm.... i see the majority of you guys are recommending the bridge pickup change
the problem is that there is no guitar shop that can do that for me around here (i would have to drive for an hour or two, but i simply don't have the time)
and i wouldn't DARE do it myself...

its not too hard to do yourself if your careful, there is lots of info on how to do it on the internet, a decent small soldering iron and a steady hand, before I unsoldered things I drew out on paper where all the wires went on which terminals on the pots etc, just in case wink.gif

This post has been edited by Smells: Nov 19 2007, 11:11 PM

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
thelax
Nov 20 2007, 01:07 AM
oh, u know what, one of the math teachers at my school happens to build electric guitars as a hobby and he says he can install some pickups for me

I'm thinking of leaving the neck pickup alone and switching the middle pu to dimarzio pro track and the bridge to fast track 2

do you guys have any good suggestions
(i appologizing for switching to a completely different question)

+Quote Post
WTN
Nov 20 2007, 03:30 AM
QUOTE (thelax @ Nov 19 2007, 06:07 PM) *
oh, u know what, one of the math teachers at my school happens to build electric guitars as a hobby and he says he can install some pickups for me

I'm thinking of leaving the neck pickup alone and switching the middle pu to dimarzio pro track and the bridge to fast track 2

do you guys have any good suggestions
(i appologizing for switching to a completely different question)

Well "metal" has different definitions for different folks. That said, here is a $200 Yamaha Pacifica with a Seymour Duncan Humbucker in the bridge position - I forget the exact model - my son has the guitar at college. It's running through a 1994 Mesa Tremoverb.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=8407

+Quote Post
Goliath
Nov 20 2007, 06:53 PM
A Seymour Duncan Hotrails SHR-1 at bridge would be good, and maybe a JB Jr for the neck.

Maiden plays Strats, but apparently have a LOT of work done to them, according to guitargeek.com which says they switch the necks.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
thelax
Nov 20 2007, 09:06 PM
maybe i'll choose between SD hotrail and Dim fast track 2 for the bridge

thanks so much for the help, guys!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:59 AM