Tips For A Beginner Violinist?
Zephyr
Oct 22 2007, 02:57 PM
GMC:er
I've been interested in playing the violin for a very long time, even before I started playing the guitar, and lately I've been looking into alternative instruments to expand my musical knowledge. Just recently, a guy that I know who plays the cello told me that he has a violin, and although he says he's horrible at playing it, he could teach me a thing or two about it.

Anyways, I'll be meeting him next Sunday, and I just thought it might be a good idea to get some tips before then. I plan to continue learning about violins, and probably to buy one at some point. Anything you know about violins and that type of instrument would be helpful... Thanks in advance!

By the way, I have no experience what so ever with violins or classical music at all, the closest thing to that was a guitar class I took at my school last year, but pretty much the only thing I picked up from that was how to read sheet music (and even that only at a bare minimum, takes me a long time to figure things out). I know a little bit of music theory, I know my scales and the like, but I'm not sure how that will apply to violin.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Zephyr: Oct 22 2007, 03:00 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Legions
Oct 22 2007, 04:26 PM
There was a violin class at my high school last year before I graduated and so I took a few lessons from the teacher and I learned how to re-string them and such... they are very brittle instruments and are a pain to tune and re-string, but once tuned they usually stay in tune fairly well. I learned a few basic songs, and really it wasn't extremely difficult... it's just weird only having 4 strings to play and the way you hold them is so weird. haha... not to mention you play them with a bow (it would really help you if someone shows you how to hold the instrument and the bow properly) I thought that they were over-all a very awkward instrument and if you mess things up they sound absolutely horrible. Maybe starting out, look into picking up some books about them...

that's my input.

good luck!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Legions: Oct 22 2007, 04:27 PM

--------------------
My Gear:
Ibanez RG 7321
Ibanez RG 2EX2
Line 6 Spider 210
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor

My Band:

+Quote Post
Kosei Kubota
Oct 23 2007, 01:21 PM
Classical Instructor
Here is a good site for violin lesson:
http://violinmasterclass.com/home.php?site_language=english

My daughter plays violin, and I learned so much (about my guitar playing) from her violin teachers.
Things like vibrato, position change, right hand coordination, etc.

Good for you!

KK

+Quote Post
Wyvernx
Oct 23 2007, 01:24 PM
The most important thing for right now is the way you hold your bow, always try to keep it loose, but straight, it takes a while to get used to. But don't give up!

+Quote Post
swingline
Oct 23 2007, 01:38 PM
QUOTE (Kosei Kubota @ Oct 23 2007, 05:21 AM) *
Here is a good site for violin lesson:
http://violinmasterclass.com/home.php?site_language=english

My daughter plays violin, and I learned so much (about my guitar playing) from her violin teachers.
Things like vibrato, position change, right hand coordination, etc.

Good for you!

KK

I thought you were joking until I clicked on it.

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Oct 23 2007, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys! And I'll defanetely (biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif) check out that site, Kosei!

This post has been edited by Zephyr: Oct 23 2007, 02:30 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:50 PM