Theory Foundations
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Aug 14 2008, 02:48 AM
GMC:er
Is it better to learn all your theory right away ? ( I suppose this could have been achieveable if you played piano for along time or something like that.)

Or learn it as you come to it ?

/J

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ian Bushell
Aug 14 2008, 07:16 AM
Instructor
Try and pace yourself and keep a balance!
After all you're learning the theory to know your instrument better.
If all you do is look at theory, you will end up studying more than playing.
In my opinion that is the wrong way round:)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Aug 14 2008, 07:22 AM
Get to da Chopper!
I was pretty excited to learn theory and wanted to rush through- but it still took a while (alot longer than i would have liked) to grasp concepts as easy as intervals.

Now i wouldnt have been able to move along much more if i didn't even understand intervals- so everytime i picked something up id make sure i fully understand it by asking about it on the theory board and then move on the the next topic.

I think it took me maybe 10-11 months untill i had a good grasp of (basic) theory.

+Quote Post
superize
Aug 14 2008, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I try to learn as i go.

I try to learn some theory from time to time but i hardly ever sit down and read the theory i try to learn it while i play

A little at a time

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Aug 14 2008, 10:22 AM
Experienced Rock Star
Well, what I'm doing right now is studying all I can, trying to learn the fretboard because in my view, I also think it's ver important, since your understand scales better...So, by advice is also "know thy fretboard" smile.gif

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Aug 14 2008, 11:22 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Rated Htr @ Aug 14 2008, 05:22 AM) *
Well, what I'm doing right now is studying all I can, trying to learn the fretboard because in my view, I also think it's ver important, since your understand scales better...So, by advice is also "know thy fretboard" smile.gif

That is a great idea!

Who told you that tongue.gif

Daniel

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 14 2008, 12:46 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Learn it at the pace that is right for you, and don;t force it or you will just turn yourself off it. A lot of GMC lessons are useful in this regard as they employ little pieces of theory in a practical way, that you can the go and read up on a little.

I would say though, as Jordan did, that learning a little about intervals early on will stand you in good stead, as they are one of the fundamental concepts we base theory on.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 14 2008, 01:33 PM
Instructor
You don't have to learn it all right away, just take i easy and work on one area at a time. The stuff is all interconnected, so as you learn more, it will all be more clearer and you will learn faster.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Aug 14 2008, 01:52 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I would also go for the "step by step" approach. Learn some theory and try to use it in your playing, and then continue.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Aug 14 2008, 04:31 PM
GMC:er
Thanks for the responses smile.gif
It means alot. biggrin.gif
Often times when I try to sit done and " REALLY" dive into theory I get lost.
So I think im going to look at a lesson a day, practice the theory lessson along with a Gmc Lesson that suits it, and try to understand where the theory is coming from biggrin.gif .

Thanks. - John

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Aug 14 2008, 05:24 PM
Instructor
Learn in steps is my advice as well. Trying to learn everything at once is never a good way to go about it.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Aug 15 2008, 07:54 AM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Daniel Robinson @ Aug 14 2008, 10:22 AM) *
That is a great idea!

Who told you that tongue.gif

Daniel

Some wacky crazy lab genious tongue.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:20 AM