My Band's First Show
Enucleation
Jun 16 2008, 07:33 AM
GMC:er
Well, as the title suggests. My band has our first show coming up relatively soon. I've played in front of people before but it was in church (which, if you ask me is bloody hilarious cause shredding during worship songs is always interesting) and there is really nothing bad gonna happen if you mess up there.

But now my band Dragon Skull (if you read any of my other threads and are confused we had a name change haha) is going to open for a pretty big local band, its pretty much a whole new experience for me and I'm really excited about it but naturally I'm quite nervous.

So I'm sure everyone goes through it so does anyone have any advice to help with nervousness?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Jun 16 2008, 08:37 AM
Singing Instructor
I am shore that you will feel ok just after the first two notes.If you are sure at what you play,it is gonna be ok.smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Jun 16 2008, 09:28 AM
Instructor
Don't get a heavy supper !!! and just try to enjoy your show wink.gif

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 16 2008, 09:36 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Always start a song that's easy to play! Get's you warmed up and blows away any nervousity biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 16 2008, 11:02 AM
Instructor
Don't drink too much. Seriously smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
J.T.
Jun 17 2008, 01:48 PM
Hehe I remember my first live concert 6 years ago smile.gif) we had our first co-gig in some local concert hall with some other local band that were our friends and were quite popular with local kids at that time... we sold like 450 tickets that night together and the place was packed lol I was so nervous I totally forgot what to play during first two songs and I Practiced so hard I could play them during my sleep... but everything failed then lol lol
But the crowd was awsome and rocking all over the place and soon I got the hang of things... there is nothing better than a supportive croud... makes it all worth it!! ... so If you have that it fun every time!!
And the advice Juan gave you is really the best I can think of it too:
Don't get a heavy supper !!! and just try to enjoy your show biggrin.gif
I have over 100 gigs now behind me and im still nervous as hell somethimes... well most of the times biggrin.gif

Edited for language- Smells

This post has been edited by Smells: Jun 21 2008, 11:20 PM

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/jjt5150
my curent equipment:
PRS CE 24 guitar
H&K Switchblade head
H&K 4x12 WARP Cabinet
Morley Wah - Mark Tremonti model
+ Line6 POD XT

+Quote Post
Gus
Jun 17 2008, 02:43 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jun 16 2008, 12:02 PM) *
Don't drink too much. Seriously smile.gif

+1.

And also, try to test your sound well before the concert. Your tone will change a lot on a PA system, compared to your home or studio. Ask for a friend to play your guitar, and you go where the audience will be.

If you have a good tone and start with an easy well known song things will start right, and then you have a supportive crowd wink.gif

This post has been edited by Gus: Jun 17 2008, 02:44 PM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Jun 17 2008, 02:55 PM
Instructor
Thats great smile.gif Good luck with the show! Most of the good advice i can think off has allready been mentioned smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Mark.
Jun 17 2008, 02:59 PM
I dont have a band so I can't say it from that point, but I did play a couple of times live with my acoustic for maby 70 people. And the best thing for me is to know that I can play it and that I dont mess it up tongue.gif So being certain about what you're gonna play helps a lot. You will always remain nervous a bit, but once you've been onstage for like 15 secs it's gone biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Jun 17 2008, 05:07 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Good luck with your show!!!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
AIB234
Jun 17 2008, 06:49 PM
Don't drink lots of caffeine.

Combined with nervousness it can make you shake, a lot.

+Quote Post
Pablo Vazquez
Jun 17 2008, 09:27 PM
Instructor
Good luck man!!! Don't be worry and Enjoy it!!!! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Henry Dietzel
Jun 17 2008, 09:31 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Hammerin Hank)
Find the prettiest girl in the crowd and stare at her until she smiles back....usually does it for me. If that doesn't work repeat this process until your successful!!! biggrin.gif Like Ivan said def. don't drink too much, that's always a good way to ruin a show. Good luck man, give em hell!!!

This post has been edited by Hammerin Hank: Jun 17 2008, 09:31 PM

--------------------
I have learned a lot, but I still have a lot to learn

Check out my video lessons

+Quote Post
Enucleation
Jun 17 2008, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys. I don't drink anyway so that wont be a problem but I'll try to keep the rest in mind and the thought counts, haha.

--------------------
Gear
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
Line 6 Spider Valve
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post
Pizzoaro
Jun 18 2008, 12:34 AM
Yeah, Hank, ur right that is actually a really famous trick laugh.gif

When on stage, find at least one person that likes/diggs ur playing, and play for that person ONLY. (dont go out there to play for him , but focus on that particular person)

Have u played it yet?

--------------------
"Never give up!"

My Youtube

Check out pictures of my band here ---> Bandpictures! Remember to leave a comment!

+Quote Post
Enucleation
Jun 18 2008, 04:04 AM
QUOTE (Pizzoaro @ Jun 17 2008, 06:34 PM) *
Yeah, Hank, ur right that is actually a really famous trick laugh.gif

When on stage, find at least one person that likes/diggs ur playing, and play for that person ONLY. (dont go out there to play for him , but focus on that particular person)

Have u played it yet?

No i haven't played it yet. It's still a while off.

--------------------
Gear
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
Line 6 Spider Valve
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 18 2008, 09:23 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Starting with easy songs definitly helps , than you will relax that you won't feel nervous at all..Just try not to get distracted and stay focused on your playing..

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:59 PM