Theory Help: Demonic Science (by Arch Enemy)
Viaxl
Sep 26 2015, 11:39 PM
GMC:er
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw3hHX5nsdI
I was learning by ear and don't quite understand what's happening there (after 4:30).

The backing sounds easy enough. Em D C (all+4th) then B. Harmonic Em. Right?

Melody part(very short) sounds like:
Em leads to A, and D is not augmented
D G, which has C#
C#m F#, there we have A#

So is it common to have harmonic backing, while solo with natural 7th and augmented 6th, and a blues Bb (Eminor)?
Or is the melody part actually in Bm, then Bm harmonic?
I tried to play C instead of C# which sounds plain wrong and that made me prefer the latter. Does this thought make sense?

I never have anyone teaching me except my first a few lessons, so these may be nooby questions smile.gif
Please feel free to tell me anything you think that can be helpful!

Thanks.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 27 2015, 01:07 AM
Here is a link to the tablature for that tune. I'm not familiar with it after watching the vid. Let me know if this helps smile.gif

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/a/arch_ene...science_tab.htm

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Viaxl
Sep 27 2015, 10:06 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 27 2015, 12:07 AM) *
Here is a link to the tablature for that tune. I'm not familiar with it after watching the vid. Let me know if this helps smile.gif

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/a/arch_ene...science_tab.htm

Thanks Todd! But I can play it just fine. It's the understanding that confuses me.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 27 2015, 02:19 PM
GMC Founder
Hey Viaxl, awesome to see you on the forum!

You are referring to the 1:32 section, right?

https://youtu.be/Bw3hHX5nsdI?t=1m32s

Let's wait for our metal guru Gabriel will chime in to give us some advice!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 27 2015, 05:42 PM
Instructor
Hi Viaxl, I assume that you are talking about the neoclassical style cadence happening at 4:32, don't you?

There, the chord progression is inspired on barroque/classical music and also reminds me to Yngwie Malmsteen and all the power metal bands that his work influenced. The progression is in Bm but includes a minor variation very used in metal but also in pop and rock music. The fifth chord of the tonality is played Major instead of minor, and this little change makes the soloist switch to B harmonic minor scale at that moment. That's what is sounding in this section. There can be neighbor notes here and there to make this sound more unique, and more "death" metal, but the overall idea is this minor variation concept.

Let me know if it's clear!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Viaxl
Sep 27 2015, 08:53 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Sep 27 2015, 01:19 PM) *
Hey Viaxl, awesome to see you on the forum!

You are referring to the 1:32 section, right?

https://youtu.be/Bw3hHX5nsdI?t=1m32s

Let's wait for our metal guru Gabriel will chime in to give us some advice!

Thank you! I've mentioned it's the 4:30 part smile.gif
Gabriel did come in to save the world!

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 27 2015, 04:42 PM) *
Hi Viaxl, I assume that you are talking about the neoclassical style cadence happening at 4:32, don't you?

There, the chord progression is inspired on barroque/classical music and also reminds me to Yngwie Malmsteen and all the power metal bands that his work influenced. The progression is in Bm but includes a minor variation very used in metal but also in pop and rock music. The fifth chord of the tonality is played Major instead of minor, and this little change makes the soloist switch to B harmonic minor scale at that moment. That's what is sounding in this section. There can be neighbor notes here and there to make this sound more unique, and more "death" metal, but the overall idea is this minor variation concept.

Let me know if it's clear!

Thanks Gabriel! That shined a bit of sunshine into my dry well(wat).
So the solo is indeed in Bm. But is the backing in harmonic Em? Because that makes more sense to me (typical i-VII-VI then V).

Also would you please list the chord progression of the melody part? If it's not too much trouble. I've been always having trouble analyzing these. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Viaxl: Sep 27 2015, 08:55 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 28 2015, 02:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Viaxl @ Sep 27 2015, 04:53 PM) *
Thank you! I've mentioned it's the 4:30 part smile.gif
Gabriel did come in to save the world!

Thanks Gabriel! That shined a bit of sunshine into my dry well(wat).
So the solo is indeed in Bm. But is the backing in harmonic Em? Because that makes more sense to me (typical i-VII-VI then V).

Also would you please list the chord progression of the melody part? If it's not too much trouble. I've been always having trouble analyzing these. smile.gif

Hi mate, the solo is in Bm but it switches to B harmonic minor when the V major chord is played. Is it clear?

About the melody part, please let me know the section in minutes that is giving problems... wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Viaxl
Sep 28 2015, 06:49 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 28 2015, 01:05 PM) *
Hi mate, the solo is in Bm but it switches to B harmonic minor when the V major chord is played. Is it clear?

About the melody part, please let me know the section in minutes that is giving problems... wink.gif

Sorry man if I didn't make it clear.
I mean, is the Rhythm guitar playing in Em => harmonic Em while Lead guitar playing in Bm => harmonic Bm?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 29 2015, 02:44 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Viaxl @ Sep 28 2015, 02:49 PM) *
Sorry man if I didn't make it clear.
I mean, is the Rhythm guitar playing in Em => harmonic Em while Lead guitar playing in Bm => harmonic Bm?

No, everything is in Bm and then harmonic minor. The fact that the progression starts with Em doesn't mean that it's in Em, it's in Bm.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:54 PM