David Vagabond - Using Scales
Darius Wave
Jun 19 2013, 02:23 PM
Instructor
Hey David. This is Your thread. Before we'll go to any particular advices please share some of the music You are currently working on. We could analyze what is exactly going on in there and how to apply or just name some scales that can be used in there smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
David Vagabond
Jun 20 2013, 12:36 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Cool !

I found this jamtrack. I would like to compose some melody over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQB7z4o6wXM

Verse: Bm - F#m - Em - Em
Chorus: G - A - Bm - Bm

So like in the tittle: B minor for the verse and G major for the chorus. Easy start. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by David Vagabond: Jun 21 2013, 09:34 AM

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jun 22 2013, 12:39 PM
Instructor
Ok smile.gif Great backing for our workout smile.gif Honestly this is all in B minor smile.gif chords G A and Bm belong to the same key smile.gif

Bm key is: B C# D E F# G A B

G major is: G A B C D E F# G

You always have make a quick anlyzis of the notes that are playd in each chord because the are the basis for finding the root key and further...for adding some "jazzy feel" by using different scales to play over each chord.

When we look at the chords in the chorus we have

G major = G B D
A major = A C# D
Bm = B D F#

You should now see where is the "error". G major key has a C (not a C#) so if You use G major scale for the chorus You will have a conflict on the A major ( C from the G major would affect the C# which is a part of the chord ) Do You know what I talking about ? smile.gif

Try to record Your own impro and upload it so I can hear Your skills smile.gif

+Quote Post
David Vagabond
Jul 26 2013, 09:14 AM
Sorry for the delay Darius ! smile.gif

Ok here's my first take. I don't exactly know what I've done, I've taken the Bm scale shapes and just keep what sounded "good" to me.
Even if it's a simple thing I must admit that I've spent a lot of time working on it and found it quite difficult to do. I suppose that I have to learn licks just to not feel "empty" of ideas.

There are verse and chorus.

This post has been edited by David Vagabond: Jul 26 2013, 09:15 AM

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 26 2013, 09:55 AM
Instructor
Good smile.gif I like Your melody priority playing. As for the licks here's a tip. You know the pentatonic. Each pentatonic has only 5 different notes. There will be 3 pentatonics that fit B-minor scale. I'm shure You know some pentatonic licks but instead of using them for only B- minor pentatonic. Find those 3 smile.gif

+Quote Post
David Vagabond
Jul 26 2013, 10:22 AM
Ok! I found D, G and A.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 26 2013, 10:56 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (David Vagabond @ Jul 26 2013, 09:22 AM) *
Ok! I found D, G and A.

Nope.... I meant minor pentatonics that have the notes fited to B-minor scale

D-minor pentatonic hasa not F instead of F# which is in B-minor scale

One of examples is a F# minor pentatonic - F# A B C# E - all notes are ok with B-minor scale and You get extra 2nd and 14th pentatonic positions to use some licks You know smile.gif

David I think You should take a look a t this lesson:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/slow-blues-solo-b-minor/

There are some articulation tips that would help You playing a lot smile.gif You got a nice melody build. Now we have to add some emotions smile.gif

+Quote Post
David Vagabond
Jul 26 2013, 02:22 PM
Damned ! I should think before writing.. smile.gif

Ok so now I have the B, F# and E. I'm still searching but I don't find any other.

This post has been edited by David Vagabond: Jul 26 2013, 02:23 PM

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 26 2013, 03:00 PM
Instructor
Very good smile.gif Now we're back on track smile.gif Now try to remind some licks...only pentatonics licks. You have to be aware of some notes from full minor scales. Only the pentatonics fit smile.gif Of course...not in case of B-minor smile.gif E and F# pentatonics only smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:29 PM