3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Don't Write Instrumental Music!
wrk
Feb 8 2014, 11:50 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 8 2014, 06:54 AM) *
Eh? As I mentioned several times in this very thread, I've got enormous respect for him as we player. I'm a BIG FAN Of him and his work. I think you've misunderstood what I'm saying if that's what you got out of it sad.gif To put it simply, without trying to "infer" or "intrepret" what he "means". I'm just going on what he said and what he said is honestly a bit dissapointing IMHO and a pinch hypocritical. It's possible to think someone has something something dissapointing/hypocritical without losing all respect for him and his work.

I'm sad to see him essentially discourage people from doing what he himself has done most of his life. "E.g. not going there as far as instrumental music goes". As a fan, I was more hoping he would say a few words of encouragement for new players especially. Instead of trying to talk them out of attemping to create music on their own terms.

Todd, i understood you very well .. don’t worry!! You have respect for him, you just don’t like what and the way he say things. Our disagreement turns around how to “interpret” his words. You seem to take them literally, but imo in the context of the initial question were meant differently and with that does not come over as arrogant or hypocrite.

This interview is not about to encourage or discourage young player. It’s about his opinion on which route to take to start a successful career today. Sometimes a ‘dad’ say to his kids … “don’t do it the way i did” smile.gif … there is nothing hypocritical about that. What he did 30 years ago worked, but today he gives the advices to do it differently.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 8 2014, 12:35 PM
Instructor
Seems like the conversation gone wrong. Those words can hurt for. Unfortunately there are several ways we could interpret those and I'm afraid there is some sadness in there too...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
TeoWulf
Feb 8 2014, 12:42 PM
GMC:er
Don't write instrumental music... Lol
I wish Marty could go back and tell that to Paganini biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 8 2014, 08:11 PM
Instructor
I think that Marty is talking from his experience and it's not a small thing, having been part of one of the biggest Thrash Metal bands ever, and having recording lots of instrumental albums. Try to go deeper into the interview and you will notice that the message is not "don't write instrumental music", that's the marketing tittle for the interview. He is giving cons and pros of one and the other, and these ones are more related to business, and to the people / audience that you can attract with one or the other. It feels obviously "cold" because we are talking about art but I'm 85% sure that we wouldn't be talking about Marty if he would have been part of Megadeth, and Marty knows it, I feel that's one of the messages that he want to give.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 8 2014, 09:13 PM
Thanks smile.gif He remains a great player. I just really wish he would recognize how many fans, especially new players, look up to him for guidance as a player they'd like to emulate in at least some way, and in realizing that, hopefully try to be more positive and encouraging.

Imagine if YNGWIE said "Classical Music, Don't Go There!" I'd be critical of that as well smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Feb 8 2014, 04:12 AM) *
I think this is very clearly put and I tend to agree with you, Todd. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 8 2014, 09:15 PM

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Feb 9 2014, 02:26 AM
Learning Rock Star
There is no better way to show your musical world and skills as a guitarists!
If you are looking to get into band and such, a pro recorded EP could only help you.

There are some really young (!) people out there doing instrumental, shredding, Polyphia I think they are called, did not like them such much but nontheless impressive, they had a lot of views and it was good music.

Putting togheter a few instrumentals will show your solo ability, rythmic, composition ability, MUSICAL ability smile.gif

This is what you should do if you are to brand yourself "guitarist".

I will have some vocals on my EP, female vocals actually, and strive to make it very musical and beatiful, not a lot of shredding, with this way maybe I can reach out to other people who are not so into this

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 9 2014, 10:15 AM
Instructor
I think there's too much drama here smile.gif

Everyone is free to express themselves in any way they see fit wink.gif If tomorrow I will want to play bagpipes, be sure I will do it and I don't think that Marty Friedman can make me think twice about that laugh.gif

I personally think that what he tried to transmit here is that if you want to have more chances of making it big, you should not get tied up to the idea of trying it by making instrumental music. It was clearly said so that people would be saved from the deception following, because of the way in which the industry has evolved.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 9 2014, 05:40 PM
well said smile.gif Bagpipe collab!!

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 9 2014, 04:15 AM) *

Everyone is free to express themselves in any way they see fit wink.gif If tomorrow I will want to play bagpipes, be sure I will do it and I don't think that Marty Friedman can make me think twice about that laugh.gif

I personally think that what he tried to transmit here is that if you want to have more chances of making it big, you should not get tied up to the idea of trying it by making instrumental music. It was clearly said so that people would be saved from the deception following, because of the way in which the industry has evolved.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 9 2014, 06:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 9 2014, 06:15 AM) *

I couldn't explain my feelings better. Well said Cos. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 9 2014, 06:51 PM
QUOTE (ElHombre @ Feb 8 2014, 05:26 PM) *
Putting togheter a few instrumentals will show your solo ability, rythmic, composition ability, MUSICAL ability smile.gif

This is what you should do if you are to brand yourself "guitarist".

Solely a 'guitarist' - maybe. But (as Marty says) that bar is extremely high. You're now in the ring with Vai, Holdsworth and Satriani among others.

(if - ?) You wanna get in a band and possibly at least play some gigs as a musician/guitar player (in any rock type genre)? Or god forbid actually make at little cash at it? You need to be on or make a record that has you supporting a vocalist.
That's how you get in bands and how you get gigs. Be able to play behind vocals without getting in the way. That's not Marty talking. That's the music business talking. Indie or otherwise.

*Today I will be playing with two Bagpipers (scouts honor). I might get one solo - though I doubt it. There will be lots of singing ... and rhythm guitar.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Feb 9 2014, 07:16 PM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 9 2014, 07:35 PM
GMC Founder
Maybe his intention was to have us discuss him (and his music)... and he certainly got us going! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 10 2014, 08:26 AM
Instructor
+1 Kris! biggrin.gif

Thank you Gabi! Ken - I remember the songs you were playing with the celtic rock band! Amazing stuff - ah, there was this one, which I liked A LOT... but I can't remember the name sad.gif Can you give me the website of the band once again please? Playing with bagpipers sounded amazing!!

+Quote Post
wrk
Feb 10 2014, 08:41 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 9 2014, 07:35 PM) *
Maybe his intention was to have us discuss him (and his music)... and he certainly got us going! laugh.gif

Damn, Todd and me tried to hide our deal with Marty. Not sure he will still accept our invoice. Thanks Kris !! ... LOL

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 10 2014, 12:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (wrk @ Feb 10 2014, 04:41 AM) *
Damn, Todd and me tried to hide our deal with Marty. Not sure he will still accept our invoice. Thanks Kris !! ... LOL

hahah what was the deal?? biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 11 2014, 09:15 AM
Instructor
I wonder... is he personally monitoring the evolution of this thread? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
wrk
Feb 11 2014, 10:01 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 10 2014, 12:40 PM) *
hahah what was the deal?? biggrin.gif

.. maybe sponsor our instrumental record laugh.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 11 2014, 09:15 AM) *
I wonder... is he personally monitoring the evolution of this thread? laugh.gif

I hope not !! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 11 2014, 11:55 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (wrk @ Feb 11 2014, 06:01 AM) *
.. maybe sponsor our instrumental record laugh.gif

hahah yeah, with his new "only instrumental albums" label. tongue.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 12 2014, 05:17 AM
hahahahah!!! Exactly!!! Starts a label that does nothing but release instrumental albums, then tells everyone to just skip playing instrumentals and join a real band.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 11 2014, 05:55 AM) *

It really did get us going!!! smile.gif I kept waiting for him to say "and stop playing guitar guys, nobody cares, learn to sing instead".

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 9 2014, 01:35 PM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 12 2014, 05:18 AM

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 12 2014, 10:50 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 11 2014, 10:55 AM) *

I'm surprised there isn't a GMC Records label yet.

Joking aside, maybe that's something Kris should have a think about, although I'm sure he probably has. It's a lot of work but we're all guitar players and guitar fans... same boat etc ? smile.gif

+Quote Post
wrk
Feb 12 2014, 01:05 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Feb 12 2014, 10:50 AM) *
I'm surprised there isn't a GMC Records label yet.

Joking aside, maybe that's something Kris should have a think about, although I'm sure he probably has. It's a lot of work but we're all guitar players and guitar fans... same boat etc ? smile.gif

I actually like what jamtrackcentral is doing. Not sure if they really act as a label, but they often publish instrumental records and provide backing-tracks, tabs and videos as well. Somehow as a “guitar-nerd package”. Sometimes it’s just one or a collection of tunes, sometimes the complete record. I think it’s a quite modern approach to publish instrumental guitar music as people don’t want only to listen, but play the songs as well .. and see these guys play the songs on video.

Of course, they have some big names on their list, but even some lesser know, but extremly skilled guitar player over there are published without having tons of material to fill a complete record, which is often not needed to showcase yourself.

I think in our fast living world people are better of to release every few weeks a great tune instead of an complete album every few years.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:04 AM