2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Is Buckethead, Paul Gilbert?
derper
Sep 19 2012, 10:20 PM
Learning Tone Master
It's my buddies theory. I don't know much about buckethead, but what little bit of digging I did....it seems possible. Buckethead is supposedly Brian Carroll, but is that really "confirmed"? Outside of wikipedia, the info seems to be sparse. Have they ever been in the same room together? Paul claims that he gave Brian lessons when Brian was 15 and Paul was 18, which could be true...or a "likely" story.

Any ideas/info?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 19 2012, 10:25 PM
Instructor
Awesome accusation!! ohmy.gif This could be real....

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Sep 19 2012, 10:25 PM
GMC:er
Offcourse Gilbert's NOT Buckethead...

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 20 2012, 12:14 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
This is really interesting! I haven't done much research on Buckethead but I just love the "secret" to it! How does he keep up with hiding identity? Are there any paparazzo pictures out there with no mask? How does he do the concerts/hide from crew? I like how he combined his music with this mystery factor to it - almost like a magician.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
derper
Sep 20 2012, 12:19 AM
Learning Tone Master
I haven't done much research either, but what little I found was.... well, the facts were hard to pin down. Plus, the secrecy makes more sense for someone like gilbert who already has fame and recognition. then I read that he claimed to have "given young buckehead lessons" which would be a great "defense" when people compare the two.

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Sep 19 2012, 04:14 PM) *
This is really interesting! I haven't done much research on Buckethead but I just love the "secret" to it! How does he keep up with hiding identity? Are there any paparazzo pictures out there with no mask? How does he do the concerts/hide from crew? I like how he combined his music with this mystery factor to it - almost like a magician.

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 20 2012, 12:25 AM
Sadly NO smile.gif Buckethead is NOT paul gilbert but they do have long skinny fingers! His real name is

BRIAN CAROLL

Here is the wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckethead

QUOTE (derper @ Sep 19 2012, 05:20 PM) *
It's my buddies theory. I don't know much about buckethead, but what little bit of digging I did....it seems possible. Buckethead is supposedly Brian Carroll, but is that really "confirmed"? Outside of wikipedia, the info seems to be sparse. Have they ever been in the same room together? Paul claims that he gave Brian lessons when Brian was 15 and Paul was 18, which could be true...or a "likely" story.

Any ideas/info?

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Sep 20 2012, 12:55 AM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Sep 19 2012, 07:14 PM) *

I'm going with 2 different people. Well, he doesn't really do major labels and he also never talks. I've been told that he sets up most of his own gear on stage. Which I think is true, there is a really tall and lanky guy who was helping bring the gear out and even did the pa test was pulling that shred vibe. People started chanting Brian and he stopped and waved at the crowd.

I've seen him 3 times so far. Next summer if he comes around it will be 4. I love his concerts they just feel so personal.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
derper
Sep 20 2012, 12:58 AM
Learning Tone Master
But, it's wikipedia so it could be part of the whole hoax/persona. I tried to verify beyond that page/entry, and that's where the details got very vague. Not saying it IS Gilbert, but not convinced Buckethead is actually that Brian Carroll guy either. Hmmm.... huh.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 19 2012, 04:25 PM) *
Sadly NO smile.gif Buckethead is NOT paul gilbert but they do have long skinny fingers! His real name is

BRIAN CAROLL

Here is the wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckethead

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 20 2012, 04:53 AM
Instructor
Interesting! That could be be true!!!

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Sep 20 2012, 05:59 AM
Learning Roadie
There is a clipping from a guitar magazine from ages ago that has a little feature on Brian, so I'm still going with him.

You can hear Paul's influence in his playing.

Anyone got his latest album yet (Buckethead's not Paul's, Paul's will be out soon though!)

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
carminemarotta
Sep 20 2012, 06:47 AM
Paul Gilbert gave some lessons to Buckethead. But he can not have any credit on the skill on the latter.
They were both very young and the tuition did not last long.

Carmine

This post has been edited by carminemarotta: Sep 20 2012, 06:48 AM

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 20 2012, 01:25 PM
Instructor
Buckethead is not PG. Vibrato and everything is just different. Plus PG would never find the time to release all his solo albums AND Buckethead as well..

And I bet if we did some serious research we could probably find examples of when Buckethead was playing somewhere and Paul was somewhere else.

And Ozzy Osbourne once tried to work with Buckethead and said about Buckethead saying not to call him Brian and that he wouldn't take the mask and Bucket off. There's no way PG would pass up the opportunity to play with Ozzy just to keep up a Buckethead facade. He once tried to get a slot with Ozzy when he was 15. smile.gif

But it's a cool conspiracy theory ! wink.gif

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Sep 20 2012, 03:27 PM

21:24 that doesn't look like paul does it tongue.gif, i am a huge big b fan and i really doubt they are both the same.

the mask IS Buckethead's face wink.gif

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Sep 20 2012, 03:42 PM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Fran
Sep 20 2012, 03:57 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
QUOTE (carminemarotta @ Sep 20 2012, 07:47 AM) *
Paul Gilbert gave some lessons to Buckethead. But he can not have any credit on the skill on the latter.
They were both very young and the tuition did not last long.

Carmine

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 20 2012, 02:25 PM) *
Buckethead is not PG. Vibrato and everything is just different. Plus PG would never find the time to release all his solo albums AND Buckethead as well..

And I bet if we did some serious research we could probably find examples of when Buckethead was playing somewhere and Paul was somewhere else.

And Ozzy Osbourne once tried to work with Buckethead and said about Buckethead saying not to call him Brian and that he wouldn't take the mask and Bucket off. There's no way PG would pass up the opportunity to play with Ozzy just to keep up a Buckethead facade. He once tried to get a slot with Ozzy when he was 15. smile.gif

+1 Thoroughly agree.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
derper
Sep 20 2012, 06:34 PM
Learning Tone Master
I figured someone here would prove this "theory" wrong....

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 20 2012, 05:25 AM) *

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Max Sokolov
Sep 20 2012, 06:50 PM
Instructor
Hehe, that cuold be interesting, but I also think, that it's two different people!

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Sep 21 2012, 06:19 AM
Learning Roadie
Just incase anyone was wondering. I'm also not Buckethead

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 21 2012, 08:47 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Sep 21 2012, 06:19 AM) *

LOL!

I might be buckethead..... in an alternate universe. I cant totally disprove the possibility smile.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 21 2012, 08:48 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Sep 21 2012, 06:19 AM) *

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

dry.gif

That was going to be my next question...

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Sep 21 2012, 02:49 PM
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Sep 20 2012, 05:59 AM) *
There is a clipping from a guitar magazine from ages ago that has a little feature on Brian, so I'm still going with him.

You can hear Paul's influence in his playing.

Anyone got his latest album yet (Buckethead's not Paul's, Paul's will be out soon though!)

The Shores of Molokai ? or Balloon Cement? i have yet to hear the shores of molokai ._.;

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:56 PM