2 Pages V   1 2 >  
The "wrong Blues" Collab, A bit of blues playing together
Mihai Sorohan
Nov 29 2014, 03:40 AM
GMC:er
Hi there
I've been quite inactive here lately, so, to "wash my shame off" here's a proposal rolleyes.gif
I wrote a blues theme some time ago and I have several versions on Soundcloud, with some guest guitarists, but hey, why not making even more, right?

I invite you to download the backing and make your own versions of it and post here.
Here's the original:
https://soundcloud.com/mihai-sorohan/black-cat-2014
Here's the backing track:
https://soundcloud.com/mihai-sorohan/black-...4-backing-track
Theme and chords here:

First time guitar is playing the melody, then melody gets played by brass and guitar plays chords, until cadenza.

*Why is it "wrong blues"?
because:
1. it's 16 bars instead of 12
2. cadenza is a constant structure just going down one tone each bar (see the sheet)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 29 2014, 07:46 AM
Instructor
Hey mate! What a nice initiative!!

So glad to see a Romanian fellow do this around here biggrin.gif What sort of a deadline is there and is it an audio only, or video collab?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
kiendop
Nov 29 2014, 09:59 AM
Very nice backingtrack smile.gif. I'll use it to practice some licks biggrin.gif, like the jazzy sound of it.

Thanks, Janneke

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 29 2014, 11:47 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (kiendop @ Nov 29 2014, 08:59 AM) *
Very nice backingtrack smile.gif. I'll use it to practice some licks biggrin.gif, like the jazzy sound of it.

Thanks, Janneke

I like it too smile.gif Mihai, I have a suggestion - maybe you should try to make the backing shorter, as people would find it easier to play over a focused part rather then being tempted to wander over a large number of bars with less musical intent - when we organize collabs here, we usually emphasize on this aspect, so that we may help people stay more focused on recording memorable ideas wink.gif Just a friendly hint here biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Mihai Sorohan
Nov 29 2014, 12:37 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 29 2014, 11:47 AM) *
I like it too smile.gif Mihai, I have a suggestion - maybe you should try to make the backing shorter, as people would find it easier to play over a focused part rather then being tempted to wander over a large number of bars with less musical intent - when we organize collabs here, we usually emphasize on this aspect, so that we may help people stay more focused on recording memorable ideas wink.gif Just a friendly hint here biggrin.gif

I guess each player can take one chorus (16 bars) but I usually find this for me not enough to develop a solo.
At this time I don't have the resources and the time to make it a video collab, in about 4 weeks I'm going to be a father and after that will be just running around changing diapers and saying "don't touch that" laugh.gif

So, for now no deadline, no limit for solo and not even instrument limitation (kazoo solo anyone?). After several solos are recorded and posted, maybe we make a monster mix with all.

Meanwhile, pregnancy announcement made the right way:
edited by Kris, check it out here it rocks!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 29 2014, 09:11 PM
GMC Founder
WOW this track is mindblowing, what a cool initiative Mihai!

Whatever we do with it, it'll be hard to match what you have already done with it. Nevertheless for me it will certainly also be hard to keep my fingers off such a cool proposal.

Are you really hoping to prolongue the song (assuming you don't want to take anything away from it) - or are you just aiming for a 'jam version' of it?

QUOTE (Mihai Sorohan @ Nov 29 2014, 12:37 PM) *
Meanwhile, pregnancy announcement made the right way:

Hehe very classy announcement, it looks like you will have support from your girl to keep playing in spite of diapers! cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 29 2014, 09:26 PM
Instructor
Awesome track Mihai! I love your phrasing, it's great how the different calls and response interact in the whole tune. Your playing is tasty and very melodic, which is a great combination for blues. Also I think that your phrasing will really inspired many GMCers to create their own solos. A good starting point would be to learn some of those cool ideas and work on variations until the fresh ideas appear.

Cosmin suggestions about providing more info for students as scales, and tips for phrasing as well as shorter backing tracks are great ideas to make this one suitable for everybody here.

I'll give it a try this week. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 30 2014, 12:37 PM
Instructor
I'll give it a try as well smile.gif Now, you guys might not know, but Mihai is a very interesting musician smile.gif Out of what I know, he is a trumpet player - so we are dealing with a guy that phrases differently and perceives music from another instrument's perspective as well wink.gif It was only normal for his playing to be interesting and different! biggrin.gif Tell us more about your musical story, Mihai wink.gif

+Quote Post
Mihai Sorohan
Dec 1 2014, 03:34 AM
Guys, you're all too kind and nice.
I had a concert today (actually two, and I managed to mess them both) and after hearing myself I can say only I wish I was a musician.
Anyway, I was told that I play too many notes while playing trumpet. I guess I don't really breath laugh.gif

@Cosmin - Thanks. Not much of a musical story. As a kid I was incredibly stupid and unresponsive, singing whenever somebody would talk to me, so I ended up at music school at piano because "he sings anyway whenever you talk to him"...

@Gabriel - Thanks smile.gif on each chord I think it's possible to play the Dorian scale. Usually on A minor I combine Pentatonic/ Blues scale with A Dorian. I put my hand on the position for G Major, that one with 3 notes per string (as a cheat for not really learning modes).

@Kristofer - I'm glad that you like it, I have another one, even more "wrong", hope I'll finish it before Christmas.

This post has been edited by Mihai Sorohan: Dec 1 2014, 03:38 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 1 2014, 09:03 AM
Instructor
Hah! So the music wa in you from the very beginning smile.gif Are you still in Norway, mate?

+Quote Post
Mihai Sorohan
Dec 1 2014, 11:21 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 1 2014, 09:03 AM) *
Hah! So the music wa in you from the very beginning smile.gif Are you still in Norway, mate?

Yep, still in Norway, still cold biggrin.gif If you're planing a tour in the area give me a sign.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 2 2014, 09:44 AM
Instructor
It's definitey on my list, but I have no clue what the list order is - except for Japan, which will occur next June wink.gif

So, you say we don't have a deadline for this one? I will be uber hectic until the 11th this month and it would be great to know that I can take the time to work on it afterwards smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mihai Sorohan
Dec 2 2014, 10:45 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 2 2014, 09:44 AM) *
It's definitey on my list, but I have no clue what the list order is - except for Japan, which will occur next June wink.gif

So, you say we don't have a deadline for this one? I will be uber hectic until the 11th this month and it would be great to know that I can take the time to work on it afterwards smile.gif

Japam??? ohmy.gif this sounds cool. Say "hi" to Marty Friedman from us smile.gif
I look forward to hear your version (or versions, for there is no limit on how many versions you can make too).

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 2 2014, 10:47 AM
Instructor
Haha! Thanks man smile.gif I'm going for the swords and martial arts world, but if I get a chance to meet Marty, I'll definitely say hi!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 2 2014, 03:31 PM
GMC Founder
I had a lot of fun with Mihai’s backing, and I also discovered you've written many killer tracks in lots of different genres. I am exploring them in this very moment, check them out.

Here is my take:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mihai Sorohan
Dec 2 2014, 09:47 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Dec 2 2014, 03:31 PM) *
I had a lot of fun with Mihai’s backing, and I also discovered you've written many killer tracks in lots of different genres. I am exploring them in this very moment, check them out.

Here is my take:

Cool Thanks for the very nice words.
I love your guitar tone and I like the approach, very "explosive", so different than what I would do.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 2 2014, 09:58 PM
GMC Founder
Thanks Mihai,

It's funny because after having listened to your original song a few times when I first saw this thread - I have purposely not listened to it again until now. And sure enough - I now notice I have borrowed ideas from your lead...

From a song writing perspective my lead is probably devastating - so I think it's good you already have a killer version of this tune. Nevertheless this was a lot of fun, and I am looking forward to more collabs!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mihai Sorohan
Dec 3 2014, 01:33 AM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Dec 2 2014, 09:58 PM) *
Thanks Mihai,

It's funny because after having listened to your original song a few times when I first saw this thread - I have purposely not listened to it again until now. And sure enough - I now notice I have borrowed ideas from your lead...

From a song writing perspective my lead is probably devastating - so I think it's good you already have a killer version of this tune. Nevertheless this was a lot of fun, and I am looking forward to more collabs!

I like how you were dealing with the modulation, finding the common notes in the scales and going the opposite direction than bass/ harmony. Cool idea.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 3 2014, 10:32 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Mihai Sorohan @ Dec 3 2014, 01:33 AM) *
I like how you were dealing with the modulation, finding the common notes in the scales and going the opposite direction than bass/ harmony. Cool idea.

Thanks Mihai. I tend to look at chord harmony by thinking either I or V, and note choice either a strong note or an altered note. So it's a very black-and-white way of looking at things, and I guess it's a way of turning a limitation of mine into a feature, until I dig more into applying theory.

Here is the backing with my take, I got the request on youtube:
Attached File  BC_backing_w_kris.m4a ( 4.91MB ) Number of downloads: 94

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 3 2014, 07:13 PM
Instructor
Hi Mihai! I've been improvising over this amazing backing and I have an idea recorded. I can say that it's a killer backing to improvise however I think that there is something tricky in the turnaround section, when you have that chromatic movement of chords. I mostly trusted in my ears when this section happens and I used some chromatic notes that aren't on A minor scale but that sounded good over this section.

Attached File  Blues_Solo___Gab.mp3 ( 1.55MB ) Number of downloads: 119

What do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:25 PM