Denisn - Mtp Assignment Thread, December 2009
Emir Hot
Dec 3 2009, 08:38 PM
Instructor
Here is the thread for posting assignments. The first one is on Sunday - 6th December.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
DenisN
Dec 5 2009, 04:17 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Emir,

Here are the major scale patterns at 90bpm. I hope it's ok wink.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2FrUYJBD5M

Pozdrav,

Denis

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Dec 5 2009, 04:52 PM
Instructor
Excellent stuff Denis. Remember you are in the key of G in your case. You finished on E powerchord smile.gif I know it's just a spontanious chord in your video but always keep in mind where the root is. Well done for this one and we'll now go back to the other thread where I'll give you something more complex with these scales.

edit: The next assignment is on the next Sunday - December 13th

This post has been edited by Emir Hot: Dec 5 2009, 04:53 PM

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
DenisN
Dec 5 2009, 08:47 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Dec 5 2009, 04:52 PM) *
Excellent stuff Denis. Remember you are in the key of G in your case. You finished on E powerchord smile.gif I know it's just a spontanious chord in your video but always keep in mind where the root is. Well done for this one and we'll now go back to the other thread where I'll give you something more complex with these scales.

edit: The next assignment is on the next Sunday - December 13th

Hey Emir,

Tnx for the comments!...Well regarding the E power cord in the end, it sounds more 'metal' to play the relative minor at the end heheeh biggrin.gif

Pozdrav!

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Dec 5 2009, 09:11 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DenisN @ Dec 5 2009, 07:47 PM) *
Hey Emir,

Tnx for the comments!...Well regarding the E power cord in the end, it sounds more 'metal' to play the relative minor at the end heheeh biggrin.gif

Pozdrav!

well, yeah smile.gif

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
DenisN
Dec 13 2009, 03:37 PM
Learning Roadie
Vozdra Emire,

Here is my take. It has some mistakes at the end but this is momentarily my best take. It's not that I don't know them it kind of a lack of concentration.Sorry wink.gif I won't be able to upload anything today anymore because I have band practice and 'girlfriend' obligations smile.gif

Denis

EDIT :

Hi Emir I removed the file from the server and uploaded it to youtube. Here is the lesson:

Denis

This post has been edited by DenisN: Dec 24 2009, 11:47 AM

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Dec 14 2009, 05:56 PM
Instructor
This was very good Denis. Great work man. The only thing that I didn't like is that I could barely hear your guitar. I was looking at your fingers more than hearing the notes. Also upload this large stuff on Youtube if you can rather than here smile.gif

The next assignment is on the next Sunday:

1. Produce backing track with the following progression:
Am | Dm7 | E7 | Am |
Am | Dm7 | E7 | Am, C#7 |
F#m | E | D | A, C#7 |
F#m | E/G# | D | E7 |
A (major) |

One chord between the bar lines ( like |Am| ) presents one bar in 4/4. Two chords like | Am, C#7 | present each chord half a bar.

2. Play 16th notes like in your last video and move through the positions. As many positions as you can.

3. Tempo is your choice (try something similar like the last one).

4. The track doesnt need to be complex. Just one drum loop with root bass notes and chords on the keyboard or guitar.

5. Write down which modes you are playing over each chord. Each chord belongs to a different major scale mode. For example you will start with A aeolian over Am chord, then move to D dorian over D minor 7. The rest you work out. While it is obvious that you are in C major scale in the first section I want you to think of the modal root of that chord. If you start from the A Aeolian position 1 you will realize that you are actually playing 5th position of the C major scale. So over Am chord think of your A root, not C.
From F#m you are in A major scale scope so be careful.

6. Produce a video and post it on this thread

Little tip:

Over E7 and C#7 chords play only dom7 arpeggio, not the whole scale. Just 1, 3, 5 , b7. This is because these two are coming from phrygian dominant mode but if you only go for arpeggio notes you won't go wrong.

Cheers smile.gif

This post has been edited by Emir Hot: Dec 15 2009, 05:45 AM

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
DenisN
Dec 14 2009, 08:14 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Emir,

Ok, I'll give my best smile.gif

PS: Sori na zvuku i snimci! Jos sam malo zelen na tom podrucju. Htio sam to sto prije uploadat u nedjelju, jer sam se zurio, pa nisam niti pogledao da kraj nije odrezan. Bit ce bolje biggrin.gif Tnx na trudu!

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Dec 14 2009, 09:20 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DenisN @ Dec 14 2009, 07:14 PM) *
Hi Emir,

Ok, I'll give my best smile.gif

PS: Sori na zvuku i snimci! Jos sam malo zelen na tom podrucju. Htio sam to sto prije uploadat u nedjelju, jer sam se zurio, pa nisam niti pogledao da kraj nije odrezan. Bit ce bolje biggrin.gif Tnx na trudu!

Ok Denis, I hope you got all this right smile.gif If you have any other questions post it in the disscussion thread.

Cheers smile.gif

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
DenisN
Dec 15 2009, 07:53 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi Emir,

Yesterday I went trough this assignment and here are my conclusions (please correct them if they are wrong):

If I play (looking from the 6th sting)
- 5th position of major scale I am playing aeolian/phrygian.
- 1st position i cover the dorian mode and Ionian
- 2nd position is lydian/ phrygian
- 3rd position is mixolidian/lydian
- 4th position is Phrygian/ aeolian.

Should I go then for these positions when I need to play for eg. dorian (1st position)?
One other thing that I have not been able to to is to emphesise one particular mode and to really bring out its 'flavour'. I don't hear that when I play dorian over Dm7 sounds different that the aeolian mode over Am. I mean they are all the same notes just different scale degree..perhaps the chords give the specific feel?.
I don't know if I made myself clear on this wacko.gif

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Dec 15 2009, 10:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DenisN @ Dec 15 2009, 06:53 AM) *
I mean they are all the same notes just different scale degree..perhaps the chords give the specific feel?.
I don't know if I made myself clear on this wacko.gif

This is true. A aeolian and D dorian are the same notes but you have to think of your D root when the chord changes to D minor.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
DenisN
Dec 16 2009, 07:19 AM
Learning Roadie
HI Emir here are also the scales to play over the chords.

Am- A Aeolian
Dm7- D Dorian
Am- A aeolian
Dm7- D Dorian
E7- E phrygian dominant
Am, C#7 - A aeolian, C# phrygian dominant

F#m - F# Aeolian
E- E Mixolidian
D- D Lydian
A, C#7 - A Ionian, C# phrigian dominant
F#m- F# Aeolian
E/G# - E Mixolidian
D-Lydian
E7- Mixolydian
A (major)- A Ionian

I must say that I don't know what 'think of your D root when the chord changes to D minor' exactly means. Should I ephesise the D note and 3rd and 5th of the Dorian mode?

Pozz

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Dec 16 2009, 08:48 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DenisN @ Dec 16 2009, 06:19 AM) *
I must say that I don't know what 'think of your D root when the chord changes to D minor' exactly means. Should I ephesise the D note and 3rd and 5th of the Dorian mode?

Pozz

Yes. Don't think of A minor even though that's the same scale. Think of A root note only when the chord is A minor. When the chord goes to D minor your root note is now D and build your melody around that note in Dorian mode.

The list was all correct. Instead of phrigyan dominant you can only play dom7 arpeggio notes in those places. That's because PD is from the different scale family but that mode would work. I don't want to confuse you with this so keep it simple as we only need major scale modes here.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
DenisN
Dec 16 2009, 11:41 AM
Learning Roadie
Alright Emir,

I see I'm 'overthinking' this. I'll keep it simple.

Hvala,
Pozdrav

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Dec 17 2009, 02:56 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DenisN @ Dec 16 2009, 10:41 AM) *
I see I'm 'overthinking' this. I'll keep it simple.

Sure, that's better at this point smile.gif

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
DenisN
Dec 21 2009, 04:56 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Emir,

here is with what I've come up with:

BR,

denis

This post has been edited by DenisN: Dec 21 2009, 06:19 PM

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Dec 24 2009, 12:17 AM
Instructor
Well not bad. You have covered the neck pretty much and that's good. I hope this was hepful regarding the positions and improvisation.

Tell me what happened to the video from your post (Dec 13 2009, 02:37 PM) on this thread ? Can you put it back? GMC staff needs to see all the exams by the end of the month or we can't move on. I know the was a video but now I don't see it. Also don't forget the REC take of any GMC lesson my the end of the month, that's another GMC requirement. When you upload on the REC thread please leave the link here as well.

The next assignment is to be done by the end of the month.

Make charts (like I made for major scales) for arpeggios in 5 positions. Please make 3 charts - maj7, dom7 and min7 arpeggios. I want you to send me the picture on email, do not upload here as some other guys will have to make the same. You can use Photoshop, Illustrator, Corel or any other graphic program and export jpg picture. You already have my chart so here is the tip. For maj7 arpeggio you can just take out 2nds, 4ths and 6hts, that will leave you with maj7 arpegio. For dom7 the same but change the maj7th interval to b7th and that will give you dom7 arpeggio. You figure out the min7 chart. Paint root notes in black or some different color than the other notes. Play all 3 of them like you did with the major scales in all positions as written on the chart which you will make.

After this, please record yourself playing all arpeggios over some drum loop or a metronome. You can use one key for each.

Good luck

This post has been edited by Emir Hot: Dec 24 2009, 12:23 AM

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
DenisN
Dec 24 2009, 04:39 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Emir,

I see you're not so happy with of my last assignment...me too. I had a really busy working week but I tried as much as I could. On Monday I finally found some time to do this properly. With the C major positions I already experimented before and I feel comfortabel there. The A major gave me problems because I really have to think about the shapes and where I am. I also found it hard to throw in the C# arpeggio.
I guess this will come with time.... An other problem that I have is connecting to GMC (I'll post it in a separate thread). I keep getting 'Bad Request' when I try to connect to GMC (I hope I'll be able to post this as well).

Regarding the REC assignment, well I'm really glad I took this neoclassic piece because it forces me to vibrate properly. I never did this kind of elementary exercise and never gave to much attention to it. I'm still struggling with it but what amazed me today was that I really heard a slow melody and the guy was vibrating in 8th notes biggrin.gif ..perhaps it is stupid but it really felt good to recognized that biggrin.gif . Before I didn't eve know hat you can vibrate in time ohmy.gif

A problem that I will have thou is my tuning. I don't know how I will solve that because buying new strings just to record a REC assignment seems like an expensive idea( Perhaps borrowing a E tuned guitar..not sure ). So I wanted to ask you first before I go to Andrew and the other guys for REC, can I tune your track 1 whole note down and then play over it? This is what I usually use. It loses some quality but I find it OK.

(this is a huge post smile.gif )

I also want to inform you about my traveling in the next 3 weeks so you don't think I'm skipping the MTP smile.gif
I will be out of town from 27.12 'till 31.12. After that I'm going to Tuzla to see some family. I will be back on the 4th of Jan.
11.1.-16.1 I will be in Stockholm for some business training. ...now you know my whole life biggrin.gif

I'll try to keep up with everything....eto to je to wink.gif

Živio!

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Dec 24 2009, 04:50 PM
Instructor
Yes you can tune the backing down. I don't care about the sound quality, just about your playing. It's not really true that I am not happy with your take but of course it could be better. Your take wasn't bad. Not excellent but good enough to pass.

Say hello to people in Tuzla. I think I will go there in January when all the guys from abroad go back to their second countries smile.gif Don't miss going to Underground club. All my frieds play rock stuff there every night. If you like a proper kafana then go any weekend day to new hotel Tuzla "Vinarija" where my friends (legends) Miko & Pero play on 2 acoustic guitars.

Happy holidays.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
DenisN
Jan 9 2010, 09:22 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Emir,

Here is the last assignment:

I am flying tomorrow to Stockholm and Ill be back next Sunday.

Also, here is the REC.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...t=0#entry455626

*Pa u Undergroundu te svi znaju biggrin.gif

Cujemo se.

Denis

This post has been edited by DenisN: Jan 9 2010, 09:23 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 04:50 PM