Need Help Picking A Pick, Goldilocks
Ctodd
May 27 2009, 10:41 PM
GMC:er
Hey gang,

over the past few months I've tried very many different picks, and still can't find the right ones

right now I am using Dunlop Jazz III XL picks

these are great but the plasticy feel still allows them to slip out of my grip every once and a while.

I love the size of them (maybe they could be a hair smaller rolleyes.gif ) and I love the jazz tip on them.
but they still lose my grip on them! especially if I am in a hot room and I am sweating a little bit.

question for every one is........

Can you recommend me a pick that is very similar to the Jazz III XL, but has a better grip?

thanks!

Chris

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Feb 5 2009, 03:41 AM) *
When you hear something that you really like, take guitar and kill the beast.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Canis
May 27 2009, 10:47 PM
Learning Rock Star
I know! Jazz III's with two-sided tape will increase the grip tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
May 27 2009, 10:56 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
If I remember well V-picks has one or several that would stick to your fingers when you're sweating... so they claim.

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
May 27 2009, 11:34 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I like the Jazz III picks also. I went back to the small one lately because they just felt better.
What you can do is take a sharpe pocket knife or something and scratch some line on the top part of the pick. Try like a checker board pattern. Scuffing the top part will give it some texture for your thumb to feel. It helped me maybe give it a try and see what you think.

Another cool pick is the Brain picks. Try like a 1.25mm maybe. They have special little bumps on top where you hold them. My hands sweet a lot and these didn't move around or fall out of my hand.

Those picks are what gave me the idea of scuffing up the Jazz III's.

Cheers

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
May 27 2009, 11:35 PM
Learning Tone Master
There is a new series of the Jazz picks series that came out this year and they are made from Ultex wich is a much harder than the regular plastic! The material is close to the V-Pick one, it sticks to your fingers so you have a better grip and the material is so sturdy that it's not wearing down, other than that it's the same form and thickness of the standard jazz III. There was a thread about the ULTEX Jazz III a while ago which drew my attention on them and now I prefer them over the standard Dunlop Jazz picks...

Right now there are only the small sized JazzIII picks available in Ultex but I believe the XL ones are going to follow soon!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 28 2009, 01:01 AM
Instructor
Try some Dunlop picks mate, go into the store and check them out. Generally if you have troubles with maintaining the grip for Jazz III (which has embossed logo), you will find even more problems with other picks that are flat. Possibly some other material like Tortex or something could do the trick..

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
AlexLion
May 28 2009, 07:23 AM
Just scratch them with scissors\knife on both sides, and no need to find other picks, especcialy if you like those smile.gif

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
May 29 2009, 12:35 AM
Jazz Instructor
maybe stubbies?

+Quote Post
Alex Lewis
May 29 2009, 01:00 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
try pickboy leaf picks they are great they have a raised marajuana leaf embossed on them so they really stay put when you play plus they are very sharp like the jazz III and small to.

I dont use anything else now, oh and they are v. stiff but depends on the gauge. I use 1.14 but they also come in 0.88 which is more flexible.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 29 2009, 01:46 AM
As I mentioned before, I like Cool "Phat Cat" 1.5 mm. Even after dramatically changing my picking style last week, that has not changed. I used to hold it more like David (index finger parallel to strings). Now I hold it with the index finger pointing down. When I changed I thought that I would change picks also, and pulled out my stash of Jazz III. I could hardly play at all at that point. But as I got more used to the new way of holding the pick and could play again, I discarded the Jazz III like I always have, wondering what anybody sees in that pick, and went back to my mainstay. I have not found any pick like it. The grip is great, like a cat paw, and it is real stiff for a plastic pick. Kind of thin for a 1.5mm, but stiff so that makes up for that. And it never slips, so you can relax your hands more.

+Quote Post
Carlos Carrillo
May 29 2009, 02:37 AM
Instructor

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ctodd
May 29 2009, 02:52 AM
that looks like a nice one Carlos!

but do they have one with a more pointed tip???

I'll go check out Dunlop's lineup more thoroughly.

--------------------
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Feb 5 2009, 03:41 AM) *
When you hear something that you really like, take guitar and kill the beast.

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
May 29 2009, 10:29 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I would also suggest trying several Dunlop picks, they offer all kinds of sizes, shapes and materials, I am sure you will find a pick that you will like.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:03 AM