12-tone Serialism
waynedcoville
Jan 22 2015, 09:15 PM
GMC:er
Hello. So one of my favorite styles of music to listen to is 20th Century classical, ie Bela Bartok, Stravinsky, Mario Cesa, etc. One of the tools the use is the 12-tone system of arrangement, which, well just isn't catchy at all. Yet I love the sound! I've been searching for instruction and technique for 12-tone serialism and I understand it but I don't know how people remember how to play it. There's no hook, no verse or chorus to relate it's just an orgy of notes flying all over the place. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any pointers on how to memorize this type of music? If I'm consigned to just listening to it, I'll be fine but I wouldn't mind flavoring my own music with it either. Thanks.

ps - I found this too...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Carvin 6 string bass (walnut neck and body w/burl maple top)
Carvin 5 string AE fretless bass(mahogany neck and body w/ quilt maple top)
Dean 8 string bass
Danelectro BassVI
Washburn 5 string acoustic bass
Hartke HA3500 w/ 4-10x1-15
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Zoom B9.1ut / Crybaby
Monster cables

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 22 2015, 10:41 PM
GMC Founder
I had a band a long time ago (Artifex) where we used to play some atonal music.

I try to get away for this kind of stuff now though, and only use chromatic/atonal elements as tension builders. If there is no tonal center, then it is hard to deviate from it.

If you like listening to this kind of music, you should be able to write music in this genre as well.

I guess a more simplistic approach to twelve-tone serialism, would be to think of scales just as random symmetrical shapes that you come up with yourself. Do this as a starting point and see which ones you like the sound of. And maybe start composing an arrangement based on some symmetrical/atonal ideas - and see if you can take it from there.

Let's see if someone else can chime in - I am not the right guy to give you advice here. Though I must say I am fascinated by the phenomenon ph34r.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jan 22 2015, 10:42 PM

interesting topic. thanks.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 23 2015, 03:21 AM
Orchestral players who perform 20th cent modern classical are 'ace' music readers.
In general, they don't memorize the pieces in their entirety. They memorize parts, sections, difficult phrases but 99% of the time have the music in front of them so that they know where they are. If they are in a contemporary ensemble and focus on performing that repertoire then they will of course eventually memorize the pieces that get played the most.

A lot of prog bands and jazz fusion groups incorporate 12-tone elements into their music. King Crimson, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Utopia, Soft Machine, Alan Holdsworth, ELP and Weather Report to name a few. Also many avante garde jazzers utilize serial techniques. Anthony Braxton would be a prime example.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:13 PM