What Technique Is The Hardest For You?, The one that gives you a hard time.
Poll
Technique You Play/Practice the Least/Never
Tapping [ 2 ] ** [5.88%]
Legato [ 5 ] ** [14.71%]
Sweeping [ 12 ] ** [35.29%]
Speedpicking [ 4 ] ** [11.76%]
String Skipping [ 3 ] ** [8.82%]
8-finger Tapping [ 8 ] ** [23.53%]
Hybrid Picking [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 34
Guests cannot vote 
FretDancer69
Dec 22 2007, 02:46 AM
GMC:er
Title says it all basically. tongue.gif

Mine would be legato. Honestly, i think ive never practiced legato more than 10 mins ever since i picked up the guitar laugh.gif laugh.gif I mostly practice speedpicking, sweeping and tapping and also Sweeping + tapping (combined).

So whats the technique you play/practice the least?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by FretDancer69: Dec 22 2007, 02:46 AM

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tomy Jeon
Dec 22 2007, 04:51 AM
I'll have to go with sweeping. But I haven't tried 8 finger tapping or hybrid picking. If I could, I'd probably choose all of them. blink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
IPB Image
Obi-Wan Kenobi dislikes babies!

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Dec 22 2007, 04:53 AM
Probably tapping. I know, I know, it's easy to learn. I just have pretty much only focused on speedpicking, sweeping, and legato.

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Dec 22 2007, 05:15 AM
I can't string skip at highspeeds and right now im focused on stamina and speed picking so i dun have much time to improve right now sad.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Dec 22 2007, 08:25 AM
Instructor
mmm I think there are other difficult techniques that are not in the list...
for me all techniques begins beeing too difficult (specially 8 fingers tapping, sweeping and makin armonics) but with some practice I could use them properly (more or less tongue.gif)...

So work hard !!!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Soul_Decision
Dec 22 2007, 08:35 AM
8 finger tapping is hard.

--------------------
Push through all barriers.......Never self-limit.........Because there is none

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 22 2007, 09:58 AM
Lets go fishing!
I feel the speed picking when improvising at a fast tempo is probably harder than sweep picking !! smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Dec 22 2007, 01:02 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
finger tapping for me, something that I`ve never actually tried o be honest, so many techniques to practice first I`m saving it for later smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Pavel
Dec 22 2007, 01:26 PM
Instructor
Ok, i voted legato and i will explain why: legato is pretty easy to play on low frets - from 1st to around 10th frets because the frets are wide. As you climb up the frets are smaller and it's hard to do a pull-off to produce nice clean sound.

I don't practice 8 finger tapping, i use 2 right hand tapping fingers at most and i also don't practice hybrid picking. There are a lot of things to conquer before moving to those techniques smile.gif AP, sweeping and legato with tapping are my top priorities smile.gif

QUOTE (mattacuk @ Dec 22 2007, 09:58 AM) *
I feel the speed picking when improvising at a fast tempo is probably harder than sweep picking !! smile.gif

Improvising with speedpicking is much easier than sweeping because you can stick to boxes, you can move 2 frets up and stay in the same scale but in a different box while with sweeping you always have to think about what chord are you playing and what possible shapes can come in next to fit the melody and what additional notes can you put in so it makes a lot of thinking. Also as you make it more complicated and play with diminished and phrygian shapes you really have to stay concentrated on shapes you're gonna play next smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Dec 22 2007, 05:51 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Dec 22 2007, 06:26 AM) *
Ok, i voted legato and i will explain why: legato is pretty easy to play on low frets - from 1st to around 10th frets because the frets are wide. As you climb up the frets are smaller and it's hard to do a pull-off to produce nice clean sound.

I don't practice 8 finger tapping, i use 2 right hand tapping fingers at most and i also don't practice hybrid picking. There are a lot of things to conquer before moving to those techniques smile.gif AP, sweeping and legato with tapping are my top priorities smile.gif
Improvising with speedpicking is much easier than sweeping because you can stick to boxes, you can move 2 frets up and stay in the same scale but in a different box while with sweeping you always have to think about what chord are you playing and what possible shapes can come in next to fit the melody and what additional notes can you put in so it makes a lot of thinking. Also as you make it more complicated and play with diminished and phrygian shapes you really have to stay concentrated on shapes you're gonna play next smile.gif

yeah , improvising with sweeping is very hard, its hard to choose a shape quickly that will fit a progression good.

--------------------

+Quote Post
stratman33
Dec 23 2007, 02:01 AM
for me it would be sweeping..as much as i try, i can never get it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Dec 23 2007, 10:22 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (stratman33 @ Dec 23 2007, 02:01 AM) *
for me it would be sweeping..as much as i try, i can never get it.

Did you work on my Sweeping Basics lesson? That should help for sure smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
bricktop
Dec 25 2007, 09:05 PM
Mines not on the list but it would be adding a good vibrato after doing a full step bend...I can get the bend up to pitch but adding the vibrato and making it sound good have been challenging...

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Fender
Acoustic Guitars:
Amplifiers: Fender Blues Junior NOS
Effects:

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 26 2007, 01:28 AM
Instructor
I think the hardest for me is to practise bending and vibrato, because it is simply boring wink.gif But hey, must do it.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
xucphra
Dec 26 2007, 02:09 AM
String skipping. I can do it once I get the rhythm, but otherwise it's impossible

--------------------

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Dec 26 2007, 02:27 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
8 finger tapping, its the only one i practice alot and dont progress as fast as i would like to in sad.gif

+Quote Post
Freddie Fourfing...
Dec 26 2007, 03:08 AM
Anything that produces music.

--------------------
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit."
ARISTOTLE

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Dec 26 2007, 05:58 AM
QUOTE (bricktop @ Dec 25 2007, 02:05 PM) *
Mines not on the list but it would be adding a good vibrato after doing a full step bend...I can get the bend up to pitch but adding the vibrato and making it sound good have been challenging...

yeah, takes practice, but once you can do it its unbelieaveably awesome

QUOTE (Freddie Fourfingers @ Dec 25 2007, 08:08 PM) *
Anything that produces music.

huh...? huh.gif mellow.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:41 AM