Ben's Quick Licks #1
Ben Higgins
Jul 18 2014, 03:48 PM
Instructor
Hey guys and girls, I'd thought I'd shove some quick licks your way. Nothing too outrageous, just some interesting little ditties that you may be able to use to spice up your playing !

Here's something that sounds a bit VAI-esque. It's in G Mixolydian and involves a combination of alternate picking and hammer-ons and pull-offs. Essentially it's a way that you can break up your picking runs to make them sound more exotic. You can hear Steve do stuff like this all the time and it sounds great.

Here's the essentials. You can hear me do it with a click at 2 different speeds then you've got the INTEL below.

Attached File  Steve_Vai___Quick_Licks_1.mp3 ( 880.18K ) Number of downloads: 195

Attached File  Steve_Vai_Quick_Lick_1.gp5 ( 1.69K ) Number of downloads: 81

Attached Image

Start with a down stroke. You'll encounter the first hammer-on straight away. Immediately take up the picking again on the B string. However, because the hammer-on / pull-off broke up things a bit, you can resume the picking with another down stroke. This is a general rule that I stick to when picking. If there's enough of a pause between pick strokes, resume your picking with a down stroke as if you were starting a new picking run.

This is just one way in which you can use quick hammer / pull trills to inject some vitality into your picking runs and stop you sounding like a shred robot !

Upload some of your takes of this lick here ! cool.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 2)
Opetholic
Jul 26 2014, 02:13 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
This reminds me of the Bushido Tasks in the Temple of Donuts smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 26 2014, 02:38 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Opetholic @ Jul 26 2014, 02:13 PM) *
This reminds me of the Bushido Tasks in the Temple of Donuts smile.gif

Hell yeah, well done !! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:01 AM