2 Pages V   1 2 >  
3 Level Solo (part 1) By Marcus L., First Try
Berglmir
Jan 3 2009, 06:17 PM
GMC:er
Hi all - well I´m a bit nervous to be honest, but I invite you all (instructors & students) to comment on my first go on Marcus´s 3 Level Solo (Beginner part).

Bear in mind that I just joined and trying to brush up my (obviously inadequate) guitar skills.
Also it´s my first go at recording/rendering something at my PC (I´m sure this file is far to big).

Ah..what the hell - here´s the file! laugh.gif

Cheers
Berglmir

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  1_of_3_Level_Solo_ss.wav ( 10.78MB ) Number of downloads: 213

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 3 2009, 06:59 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Nothing to be nervous about with that one man. Great playing.. smile.gif And for that to be your first time recording and rendering too! I do think the lead could be a bit more out in front of the backing. Try duplicating the track and panning each to the right and left, this will help to beef it up a bit.

Now your going to be addicted to recording, just wait and see... tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
berko
Jan 3 2009, 07:07 PM
Great tone and great playing man! cool.gif

Yeah, I think a simple mp3 format would be better for exporting your takes. makes downloading much easier.

cheers

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Jan 3 2009, 07:15 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Go go mate, I'm doing as well, practising the 3 level advanced as we speak smile.gif

As for your take, it was good, just have two suggestions...You stop playing the notes to pass to another point, don't do that, marcus does vibrato and sustains the notes, if you do what you did, you just look like you're jumping each lick as in the videos. The other suggestion also applies to many people, just work on those bendings smile.gif

Cheers
Filipe

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
purple hayes
Jan 3 2009, 07:27 PM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
I'm no pro on playing or recording, but I think for a first attempt at recording, you did very well. Maybe work on your vibrato a bit and intonation.

Good job though. How long have you been playing?

--------------------
My guitar bits on YouTube: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70</a>

+Quote Post
Berglmir
Jan 3 2009, 07:43 PM
Phew - thanks for all this encouraging feedback! biggrin.gif

"Try duplicating the track and panning each to the right and left, this will help to beef it up a bit. "
Well that´s what I actually did - but I think I will need far more time to get this right. Thx for the tip though.

"You stop playing the notes to pass to another point" - hmm. Another recording thing I´m afraid as I don´t really stop but I think that my "recording technique" swallows the more subtle parts of my play! biggrin.gif

"How long have you been playing?"
I have not been playing for approx. 10 years. Once in a while I´ll try to learn a classical guitar piece (Dowland and Couperin mostly) but that´s it. As I said in my introduction I just bought myself an audio interface - so that´s my re-strat point.
Regarding this piece I exerciesed 1 hours or so for this take (and now the blisters on my blisters are telling me to take some rest!)

Cheers again for all your feedback & support!
Berglmir

PS: @ Rated Htr: If I could ever, EVER play the advanced part of this solo I would gladly stay on this level! My deepest respect!!!

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Jan 4 2009, 01:35 AM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Berglmir @ Jan 3 2009, 06:43 PM) *
Phew - thanks for all this encouraging feedback! biggrin.gif

PS: @ Rated Htr: If I could ever, EVER play the advanced part of this solo I would gladly stay on this level! My deepest respect!!!

Well, if I knew how to play it perfectly, I wouldn't be practising it...Just heard someone saying "DO IT" and decided to do it tongue.gif.

It takes time dude, don't just push yourself down without trying it smile.gif

--------------------
Currently Practicing

+Quote Post
Berglmir
Jan 4 2009, 07:50 PM
Take 2 - better playing; better recording, better rendering.
I hope you agree?! wink.gif

Attached File  1_of_3_Level_Solo_II.mp3 ( 2.27MB ) Number of downloads: 214

Feedack always appreciated!
Cheers

PS: @Rated Htr: You are right of course - even now part 2 of the solo seems...well...achievable! smile.gif

+Quote Post
IDontWantMyUsern...
Jan 5 2009, 06:30 PM
QUOTE (Berglmir @ Jan 4 2009, 07:50 PM) *

Cheers

PS: @Rated Htr: You are right of course - even now part 2 of the solo seems...well...achievable! smile.gif

I think you did well. How you somewhere changed the licks to your own made it a little more interesting. smile.gif
If I should tell you to improve on something, it would be vibrato and attitude. I think you understand what I mean with vibrato, but with attitude, I mean that you could add a little more detail into and between your licks. Not anything great, but just some small bends or whatever just to fresh up the sound picture a bit as it can get a bit empty between each phrasing. tongue.gif

--------------------
My stuff:

Ibanez S320
Marshall MG100HDFX half stack
Line6 PODxt
Digidesign Mbox Pro

Songs I'm writing down/learning at the moment:

Children of Bodom - Downfall

+Quote Post
Berglmir
Jan 5 2009, 06:51 PM
THX very much for your feedback!
By and by I think I understand what you and Rated Htr mean.
There are yet too many "pauses" too less feeling of continuity.

I´ll work on that and if you are interested I´ll post the results for your reviewing! wink.gif

Cheers!!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jan 5 2009, 07:07 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
For first time recording this is quite good, I suggest as well duplicating the tracks and panning them left and right, It beefs the guitars up quite a bit and sounds smoother. I think you need a bit more expression in your vibrato, Maybe if you put a little more strength into it. Other than that though, This is about 100 times better than my first recording laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Dreamcatcher
Jan 5 2009, 07:14 PM
Thats pretty Impressive Stuff ..Loved it

--------------------
" Free Your Mind and Your Axe Will Follow" Vernon Reid (Living Colour)

+Quote Post
Berglmir
Jan 5 2009, 07:17 PM
QUOTE (Dreamcatcher @ Jan 5 2009, 07:14 PM) *
Thats pretty Impressive Stuff ..Loved it

OH MY!! rolleyes.gif

Thanks a lot - but I have still a looooooooooooong way to go!

+Quote Post
playaxeman
Jan 5 2009, 07:20 PM
Learning Rock Star
Cheers mate

a great first try& well done!!

Next time boost the volume of your lead a little bit more ( and save it as a mp3)

Grtzzz

--------------------
Gear:

Guitars
Music Man Luke BFR , Music Man JP LTD 2008, Paul Reed Smith Santana III, Gibson Les Paul, Ovation Adamas, Ovation Ultra

Amps
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50 combo

Effects
Korg Pandora PX5D, Line 6 Pod XT Live

Recording
Guitar Rig 5, Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000, Magix MusicMaker2008

Visit My Website

+Quote Post
Berglmir
Jan 5 2009, 07:22 PM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jan 5 2009, 07:07 PM) *
For first time recording this is quite good, I suggest as well duplicating the tracks and panning them left and right, It beefs the guitars up quite a bit and sounds smoother. I think you need a bit more expression in your vibrato, Maybe if you put a little more strength into it. Other than that though, This is about 100 times better than my first recording laugh.gif

The terrible thing is: I actually DID duplicate my track and panned them - to no avail it seems.
I think it has something to do with my rendering problem described here:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=23116

Cheers!

QUOTE (playaxeman @ Jan 5 2009, 07:20 PM) *
Cheers mate

a great first try& well done!!

Next time boost the volume of your lead a little bit more ( and save it as a mp3)

Grtzzz

2nd take/file is mp3 and boosted in volume - please take a look! (it´s uploaded in this thead) laugh.gif
Cheers!

+Quote Post
playaxeman
Jan 5 2009, 07:27 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Berglmir @ Jan 4 2009, 07:50 PM) *

Cheers

HE

There is a 2 take.

The lead is better on volume and you did a great job on it.

Well done

--------------------
Gear:

Guitars
Music Man Luke BFR , Music Man JP LTD 2008, Paul Reed Smith Santana III, Gibson Les Paul, Ovation Adamas, Ovation Ultra

Amps
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50 combo

Effects
Korg Pandora PX5D, Line 6 Pod XT Live

Recording
Guitar Rig 5, Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000, Magix MusicMaker2008

Visit My Website

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Jan 6 2009, 11:53 PM
Experienced Rock Star
I actually prefer the first take to be honest.

On the second your timming seems worst and, due to the fact that you increased volume, the tone looks drier and worst.

But you have spirit, just keep it, you'll achieve smile.gif

--------------------
Currently Practicing

+Quote Post
Berglmir
Jan 7 2009, 10:53 AM
QUOTE (Rated Htr @ Jan 6 2009, 11:53 PM) *
But you have spirit, just keep it, you'll achieve smile.gif

In other words this means: I compensate my lack of skill with enough brazenness! biggrin.gif

Just kidding - really appreciate your feedback. Keeps my going and trying to make it "better/perfect".
Only consequence for is: I will have to upload a new version for you to listen to! rolleyes.gif

Thanks again!

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Jan 7 2009, 02:39 PM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Berglmir @ Jan 7 2009, 09:53 AM) *
In other words this means: I compensate my lack of skill with enough brazenness! biggrin.gif

Just kidding - really appreciate your feedback. Keeps my going and trying to make it "better/perfect".
Only consequence for is: I will have to upload a new version for you to listen to! rolleyes.gif

Thanks again!

That's kinda the point right? biggrin.gif

--------------------
Currently Practicing

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Jan 7 2009, 03:05 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Good work! I think you have very nice vibrato, this piece contains some long notes, and you make them sound very nice.

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:56 AM