I Need Some Advices From Cat Owners:), I am thinking about having one:)
Jakub Luptovec
May 3 2009, 08:17 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Dear GMC'ersm

well so.. for quite some time I have been thinking about having some pet. I used to have dog, but HAVING to walk it was too much of hassle for me (especially in the morning:D) and also dogs stink to me.. and i hate when they bark all the time

Angry note:
my best friend has dog, and I was about to kill it a few times - we were drinking at his place one day, and at 4:00 am we were kinda... sleepy tongue.gif lying on beds, chilling off, falling asleep... and that vile creature started barking.. I almost wet myself from that shock. Then he stopped for a while... and then started again.. i wanted to throw him out of balcony, but my friend stopped me... sad.gif

After some deciding, I found out, that cat might be perfect choice for me.. Marcus has them (maybe they influence his playing?biggrin.gif ) and they are sooo cute tongue.gif

Well my mother is afraid of it, scratching our furniture, pooing and looing on our carpets, puking in her bed and whatever... What is it like to have a cat? How long does it take to learn to go poo and loo on specified post? I also heard it can be educated to use toliet like humans is that true? Also aer they expensive, in terms of doctors, food, accesories etc?

Any help appreciated smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Jakub Luptovec: May 3 2009, 08:21 PM

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Canis
May 3 2009, 08:22 PM
Learning Rock Star
I used to have the most awesome cat!
She was trained to use a litterbox, so we had no worries there. She ate both wet- and dryfood (no idea if that's what it's called on english), which isn't too expensive.
If you're lucky enough to get a smart cat, you can train it to use scratch-toys instead of furniture.. Something our cat saw no logic in tongue.gif

I think our own fkalich is the cat-expert with more advice, though ^^

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
AlexLion
May 3 2009, 09:42 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Canis @ May 3 2009, 10:22 PM) *
I think our own fkalich is the cat-expert with more advice, though ^^

Aahahha agree smile.gif

Cats are very easily adapted to a litterbox, and usually there are no puking\pooing around (hopefully) laugh.gif And they are very cute! But about scratching... we have special toys but they like to use furniture also when no one sees :|

I heard about cats using a toilet but I can`t imagine how it will look biggrin.gif

Ah, also if they aren`t sterilized some problems can appear tongue.gif

p.s. - I agree with you about dogs happy.gif

This post has been edited by AlexLion: May 3 2009, 09:43 PM

+Quote Post
sted
May 4 2009, 08:12 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Jakub Luptovec @ May 3 2009, 08:17 PM) *
Dear GMC'ersm

well so.. for quite some time I have been thinking about having some pet. I used to have dog, but HAVING to walk it was too much of hassle for me (especially in the morning:D) and also dogs stink to me.. and i hate when they bark all the time

Angry note:
my best friend has dog, and I was about to kill it a few times - we were drinking at his place one day, and at 4:00 am we were kinda... sleepy tongue.gif lying on beds, chilling off, falling asleep... and that vile creature started barking.. I almost wet myself from that shock. Then he stopped for a while... and then started again.. i wanted to throw him out of balcony, but my friend stopped me... sad.gif

After some deciding, I found out, that cat might be perfect choice for me.. Marcus has them (maybe they influence his playing?biggrin.gif ) and they are sooo cute tongue.gif

Well my mother is afraid of it, scratching our furniture, pooing and looing on our carpets, puking in her bed and whatever... What is it like to have a cat? How long does it take to learn to go poo and loo on specified post? I also heard it can be educated to use toliet like humans is that true? Also aer they expensive, in terms of doctors, food, accesories etc?

Any help appreciated smile.gif

Ive got two cats mate (One is a 14 week old kitten), if you think dogs stink wait till you smell a fresh kitty dump in a tray first thing in the morning when you're eating your corn flakes.

CAT FACTS:

A kitten will still keep you up at night coz they are lunatics for the first six months and naturally nocturnal.

Your furniture will take a pounding off their claws.

They need to be house trained, although mostly they will go to a litter box naturally if its available.

They do cost money: 2 sets of needles for a kitten at around 30 pounds each, neutering is around 90 pounds, food for a kitten and special milk (DO NOT give them normal milk, it can really do them harm!) for a week is around 10-15 pounds, flea treatment (Like frontline) is around 20 pounds every 3 months.

Cats will fight with other cats, they will scowl and howl at each other in the middle of your garden then try and claw each others eyes out, more vet bills. If you have a dominant tom around your area and you have a boy kitten, the Tom will not be pleased, a real bruiser will almost certainly try and kill a small male kitten.

Cats are by nature very independent, if youre lucky you may get an affectionate one, chances are though that once they start going out they will lose most of their interest in you and only want you for sleep and food, neutering helps as they wont roam as much but they are still basically quite anti social.

Personally i think you're nuts for wanting one, my wife is a cat lover and i love dogs, they are faithful, friendly and always up for a walk, fetch sticks etc

Cats would sooner lick their balls and go to sleep in front of the fire, those are the facts mate!

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
May 4 2009, 08:25 AM
Instructor
Let me ask you something..

What is the reason you want to have a pet? smile.gif

edit: Please check the following link for more info

http://cats.about.com/od/newtocats/tp/beforeadoptingacat.htm

This post has been edited by Dejan Farkas: May 4 2009, 10:09 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
AlexLion
May 4 2009, 08:27 AM
QUOTE (sted @ May 4 2009, 10:12 AM) *
...wait till you smell a fresh kitty dump in a tray first thing in the morning when you're eating your corn flakes.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif You made my day!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif It`s so familiar, I have two cats also laugh.gif
I always have wondered why they need to go and use litterbox when I`m starting to eat?!? Allmost all the time..

p.s. 90 pounds for neutering? OMG, you guys are sick in UK.

And they don`t need flea treatment if they don`t go outside, ok if one do and other not, it`s another story .. Unreal prices you got there..

In conclusion I would say you can get many positive emotions from cats and they usually take away your negative, but there are also not so enjoyable things you need to do: cleaning their toilet in time, get them food in time, watching them, when you hear strange noises from kitchen exactly then, when you are really busy etc etc..
But if you will be good with them they will be good with you smile.gif When cat give you a "massage" it`s very enjoyable, until you are only in t-shirt biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by AlexLion: May 4 2009, 08:50 AM

+Quote Post
facjata
May 4 2009, 10:21 AM
i've got 2 cats, and i must agree with AlexLion. yes, they wake you up at 4am, but then they purr so loud, and they're so cute(especially young ones), that you forget, that it's night, and you start playing with them tongue.gif

about using toilet, my cats can drink water from it only tongue.gif but they can use their one, but it must be clean.

and cats leave their fur, especially after winter, if they are going outside. i don't know how it is, when they are at home only, but i must vacuum my house about 3 times in the week becaouse of their fur dry.gif

but this disadvantages don't matter, when you see, how cute, and funny are they, when they're playing with water, fighting with their tails, etc.

oh, and sometimes they like to listen to music! my cat always comes to my room, when i jam with my father! even if i do some pinch shiftings, which should frighten him.

so, cats make some troubles, but i think, they are the best pets, just get one and you will see biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 4 2009, 11:16 AM
I have 8 cats.

Get a cat. They are all different. But all are neat. No, they are not going to go in your toilet.
Yes, it has been done. No, you would get yours to do it.

Scoopable cat litter is really a great invention. It allows you to keep the litter box real clean, things clump and you just scoop it out, leaving clean litter.

Don't get a dog unless you are willing to make a commitment in time and patience.

So long as you get your cat neutered before maturity, you should not have problems with a cat.

I would go to the animal shelter and rescue one. I would also get one of those "Petmate" cat fountains. Walmart sells them for about $30. They really like those. I just let them graze eating the Purina cat chow. But most nights I will open up a small can of cat food and they all share it. They really like Wisker Lickin's Tartar Control cat treats, those are like Kitty Crack.

These are my cats:

1) Sweetie: One of my first two. She should be named Princess Sweetie. She smothers me with cat kisses at least once a day. She is a mother. When she had her babies, she grabbed me by my pants leg and made me stay with her, would not even let me get any coffee. I remember how much I wanted coffee, but I had to stay with Sweetie till she was done. I thought she was done after 3, and went to get coffee. When I got back, there were 2 more.

2) Buddy: I got him the day after I got Sweetie, 11 years ago. He is top cat, but not mean. Very sensitive though, he gets upset when I get mad at him. I got him neutered a few days too late, she he and Sweetie did the number, and I ended up with more kitties, three of which I kept. I found a good home for the other 2 that I did not keep.

3) Sunshine: Second one out of the womb. Loves me to death, she looks like Buddy.

4) Wooskie: Looks like Sweetie. My cat from hell. But she loves me. Stays outside all the time, best place for a cat from hell.

5) Daisy: Looks like Sweetie. She loves her mommy and daddy, always wants to sleep with them.

Ok, that is the family. I also have 3 strays. I did not intend to keep any of them. Never start being nice to a stray, unless you want to keep it, because once you start, that is the way it will end up.

6) White Kitty: She sleeps with me most of the time. Either her or Tom Tom. BoBo my dog also does, when it is White Kitty. He is a bit cautious about Tom Tom. Sometimes Scampy does also. Well they all do some, but there is only so much room. I think White Kitty is my oldest cat. Have had her 8 years. I tried to give her to my sister, she was living under cars in my neighborhood. But my sister's dogs tried to killer her, and my brother-in-law said "I think you have another cat now".

7) Tom Tom: He is my biggest cat. But he knows that Buddy is Top Cat. He used to come by and visit, 6 years ago, lived on the next street. Then one day his collar was gone (abandoned). I eventually took him in. He likes to walk on my back, and because he is so fat, gives me a great back massage. He chases Scampy some, but I just spray him with water when he does that. He looks funny running away from me when that happens, because he has a big fat butt.

8) Scampy: Got him 3 years ago. He used to come by when he was a kitty. He had tags, I figured it would be ok to make friends with him. But the owner neglected him, he was freezing in the winter, injured, getting into fights. I sort of took care of him for about 6 weeks, built him an outdoor shelter. I guess she did not want the cat, I never heard from her. So I took him in. He is a sweet cat, and accepts that he is lowest cat on the totem pole here. But outside, I have to watch it, he will fight other strange cats. So I never let him out at night anymore. But in my house, he knows all other cats are above him in the hierarchy, he defers to all of them.

Anyway, maybe that gives you an idea. I would say, unless you are the type of person who only likes those who will cower to you, and I don't think you are, you will love a cat. They put up with you, but they don't cower to anyone, they consider themselves a superior species to us big monkeys. Dogs consider us their equals, but cats figure they are doing us a favor by living with us.

+Quote Post
Artemus
May 4 2009, 11:32 AM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
Cat owner and lover here.
My main recommendation is the same as I have for dogs - don't go buying a kitten/puppy.
Go to a cat sanctuary and pick a cat (or let a cat choose you). It can be a little heartbreaking to see all those abandoned animals but you'll see cats that have developed their personalities and when you find the cat for you, believe me, they'll love you for provided a caring and cosy home for them away from the stinky, horrible sanctuary.
This is how I came about my cat and she's the most affectionate and strangely loyal cat I've ever known. Plus, she's completely house trained - never had any mess around the house. She asks to be let out (in some rather amusing ways) to do her thing including scratching the next door neighbours garden furniture/dogs.
The only thing is to not annoy a cat - they will find retribution smile.gif Think horses head from the Godfather movie. I have some amusing stories there.. such as receiving a "present": a dead guinea pig belonging to the neighbour's youngest daughter.
My other half believes a tongue-in-cheek philosophy that god is a cat.. think about it wink.gif
Here's some funny pics to convince you cats are cool!

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
Frederik
May 4 2009, 12:07 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Keep a pumped super-soaker in reach if they walk on the tables or scrath the furniture, they hate it biggrin.gif

-Frederik

+Quote Post
AlexLion
May 4 2009, 12:10 PM
How about that laugh.gif laugh.gif

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
May 4 2009, 12:40 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Dejan: After reading Fkalichs, Artemus's and AxelLion's stories, I wonder if there is any reason why NOT to have a cat:) And those photos are sooo cute:)

I was also talking to one (extra hot:) ) girl in my class today, who has cats and she seemed to like the idea of me getting cat:D she also told me that their "natural calling" needs are kinda instinctive in terms of keeping things clean:)

A little heartbreak story
But to be honest with you guys, my main reason is, my girlfriend just left me after 4 years of relationship and I am kinda stricken by it and I dont even want another one - I just dont trust them anymore. I was trying to give her everything.. so many time and effort... for nothing. I just dont want to go thru this again
and this is from where the pet part is comming..

I feel alone and in need of someone I can care for and watch over. Someone to dedicate my time to, someone to await me, when I come home. Is it a good reason?

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 4 2009, 12:45 PM
Agree, always shop for your pet at the shelter.

Great pictures. Everyone thinks their cats are the best cats. Here are a few pictures.

Daisy Sleeping with here Daddy Buddy
Attached Image

BoBo with Scampy (it it were Tom Tom, BoBo would be long gone)
Attached Image

Me Torturing BoBo, by putting cookie right by the Paw of Scampy
Attached Image

Here are some Ducks I took care of at a local pond last year (they left and joined a flock of Mallards when the pond froze over in December
Attached Image

Cats in one of the Cat Houses
Attached Image

Tom Tom and Daisy
Attached Image

My Darling Sweetie (The Mother Cat)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
May 4 2009, 12:47 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Where we live - in the countryside - you don't have to get a cat as they tend to come and find you. At the moment we have two cats and a dog (we had 4 cats but two died). Both our cats are house trained to go out for the toilet so no litter tray here smile.gif. It took about 6 weeks for the more stupid of the two to learn what to do but the other picked up the idea after less than 3 weeks. Both our cats are out at night as well - inside during the day to sleep and like Artemus' cat ours ask to be let out.

Main expenses are vet bills and food. Vet is rabies and flu vaccination annually plus flea, tick and worming tablets. Here the neutering was 50 Euros each cat including the drugs etc, rabies/flu was about 30 Euros. For food they get dry cat food twice a day plus wet/tinned once a day - plus the birds, mice and lizards they catch - and they drink water.

Like fkalich's cats ours have distinct personalities. The older one (2 years old) Hermita is a large black female and very easy going and quiet. She's also very tolerant of the other, younger cat and looks after her a lot. Hermita has never scratched the furniture btw. The other cat is Estrella (10 months old). She's part seal point Siamese and part local. She's very pretty but also is a bit thick and much more vocal than Hermita.

If you live in a city try getting a rescue/animal sanctuary cat rather than one from a pet shop or a breeder. Also, as Dejan says, if you get one do it for the right reasons - cats (and dogs) are for life, and there are already many that sadly get abandoned.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 4 2009, 12:54 PM
QUOTE (Jakub Luptovec @ May 4 2009, 06:40 AM) *
I feel alone and in need of someone I can care for and watch over. Someone to dedicate my time to, someone to await me, when I come home. Is it a good reason?

All 8 cats of mine go in the same big litter box (60lbs of cat litter). All the time. They are instinctively clean.

And yes is it an easy way to get a lot of love, and that is a good reason.

All pictures were neat, I enjoyed looking at other cats

QUOTE (tonymiro @ May 4 2009, 06:47 AM) *
If you live in a city try getting a rescue/animal sanctuary cat rather than one from a pet shop or a breeder. Also, as Dejan says, if you get one do it for the right reasons - cats (and dogs) are for life, and there are already many that sadly get abandoned.

We want pictures Tony.

And yes about the shelter. Just go to the shelter, to the cat room. If possible, get an adult, they have the harder time finding a home. And it is not like you train a young cat, it is not like dogs.

Also people just dump cats, good or not. A lot of times they get rid of problem dogs, they keep good dogs, but with cats, people get rid of them, good or not. So by all odds, they won't be a problem in a shelter. With dogs you have to be a bit careful, but I still got my dog at a shelter, and I consider him a grade A class dog, could not ask for more.

+Quote Post
AlexLion
May 4 2009, 01:04 PM
This thread getting very interesting smile.gif Fkalich thanks for photos I enjoyed looking at your pets too smile.gif Your white cat(Scampy?) and orange one are especcialy cute rolleyes.gif

Sorry to hear that Jakub, I hope you`ll back enjoying life soon smile.gif

This post has been edited by AlexLion: May 4 2009, 01:07 PM

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
May 4 2009, 01:15 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Well my friends-grandmas-cat (seriously guys, how to type this right? its a cat that belongs to grandma of my friend biggrin.gif) bred a bunch of kittens two days ago, so I planned to get one of those young ones but since all of you are saying to get an older cat - what are the pros and cons of both of those options?

I also found out, that we used to have a cat (it is looooong time ago tho - I was a baby back then) and my mother caught toxoplasmosis from it. Was it just that one cat, or its mums alergy or something?

This post has been edited by Jakub Luptovec: May 4 2009, 01:23 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
AlexLion
May 4 2009, 01:39 PM
Well I don`t know what is toxoplasmosis.. But I know some person have allergy on cat\dog fur. So you`ll better knew if your mom has it, then no pets :/

Personally I think you should take young ones, because you will be nurturing\feeding him and he will be very thankful to you soon when he grows up abit, and young ones like to play very much smile.gif Crap, I can`t say all that I want because lack of words... My two cats was about 2 weeks old when I get them. Now they are 10 years old(Ника- black one) and 1.5 years old (Латик-orange one biggrin.gif ).

This post has been edited by AlexLion: May 4 2009, 01:39 PM

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
May 4 2009, 02:10 PM
Learning Tone Guru
I would prefere a young one too (just for the feeling of being their parent:)) but I heard, they are hard to train (respectively unable to train, in contrary to dogs) and those in shelter are taugh that already. I also want to name it myself:D Iscat able to recognize its name as dog? and recognize some simple commands as "come here" etc?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
May 4 2009, 02:10 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
AFAIK toxoplasmosis isn't an allergy but caused by a parasite being transferred from the host. Cats sometimes have the parasite and if they do they can pass it on. I think that it's pregnant women and young babies that tend to be most at risk from toxoplasmosis. AFAIK the risk to healthy adult humans is pretty low.

We've brought up cats from birth and also adopted them as kittens/young adults. Bringing them up from birth takes a lot of time and care. You may find it more rewarding to have them as kittens after they've been weened off their mother - when they're about 8 weeks old.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:17 PM