9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9  
Degroot Guitar Mentoring
Alex Feather
Oct 22 2012, 05:01 PM
Instructor
Hi I just wanted to follow up and see if you are ready for a new assignment? I am gonna change the backing track again if you are fine with it! It will have a lot of changes!
Let me know!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Oct 22 2012, 10:16 PM
Instructor
So here is what I came up with
http://soundcloud.com/alex-feather-akimov/libach-jazz
Do you like this track? How do you feel if we will be working with this one for a while!
You are a great player already and I want to push in a different direction so you will get more comfortable with melodic minor and will be able to play over the changes much easier!
Let me know!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Oct 23 2012, 03:28 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Oct 22 2012, 09:16 PM) *
So here is what I came up with
http://soundcloud.com/alex-feather-akimov/libach-jazz
Do you like this track? How do you feel if we will be working with this one for a while!
You are a great player already and I want to push in a different direction so you will get more comfortable with melodic minor and will be able to play over the changes much easier!
Let me know!

Sounds good to me! I like the backing so it would be cool to work with this. So, should I work with using some melodic minor over this backing for the assignment?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Oct 24 2012, 01:36 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Oct 23 2012, 02:28 PM) *
Sounds good to me! I like the backing so it would be cool to work with this. So, should I work with using some melodic minor over this backing for the assignment?

Actually I wanted to combine assignments and would like you to transcribe the chord progression first smile.gif
This way we will kill two birds with one stone and will get ear training going as well! Than I will explain melodic minor in more details!

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Oct 25 2012, 07:24 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
I transcribed about half of the progression so far. It took me a long time to figure this out. Once I realized that 7th chords were common it became easier.

Dmin7-G7-Emin7-Amin7-Dmin7-G7-C7-Amin7-Dmin7-G7-C7-E7-F7-G7-Emin7-Amin7-Dmin7-G7

Hopefully I'll be able to figure out the rest tomorrow. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Oct 27 2012, 04:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Oct 25 2012, 06:24 PM) *
I transcribed about half of the progression so far. It took me a long time to figure this out. Once I realized that 7th chords were common it became easier.

Dmin7-G7-Emin7-Amin7-Dmin7-G7-C7-Amin7-Dmin7-G7-C7-E7-F7-G7-Emin7-Amin7-Dmin7-G7

Hopefully I'll be able to figure out the rest tomorrow. smile.gif

The first part looks right! smile.gif Figure out the rest! And as you can see this is a perfect progression to play melodic minor! Especially since it has E7 chord! I am very excited to start jamming with you over it!

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Oct 28 2012, 01:17 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Oct 25 2012, 06:24 PM) *

Here is the rest:

Gmin7-Bmaj-Amin-B7-Bflat7-A7-Dmin7-G7-Emin7-A7-Dmin7-D#dim-Emin7-Amin7-Dmin7-Emin7-F7-C7-Emin7-A7

Hopefully most of this is right! smile.gif Look forward to start jamming to this track!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Oct 31 2012, 08:33 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Oct 28 2012, 12:17 AM) *
Here is the rest:

Gmin7-Bmaj-Amin-B7-Bflat7-A7-Dmin7-G7-Emin7-A7-Dmin7-D#dim-Emin7-Amin7-Dmin7-Emin7-F7-C7-Emin7-A7

Hopefully most of this is right! smile.gif Look forward to start jamming to this track!

Awesome! You are correct! Now I would like you to tell your thoughts about what would you play over those chords
Let's do the first part
What would you play over it?

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Nov 5 2012, 08:56 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Oct 31 2012, 07:33 AM) *
Awesome! You are correct! Now I would like you to tell your thoughts about what would you play over those chords
Let's do the first part --
What would you play over it?

So far, I know some of my possibilities could be:

Dmin7-G7-Emin7-Amin7-Dmin7-G7-C7-Amin7-Dmin7

A minor scale, A minor pentatonic, E minor pentatonic

G7-C7-E7-F7-G7

F major, F melodic minor, F lydian, F major pentatonic

Emin7-Amin7-Dmin7-G7

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Nov 7 2012, 07:14 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Nov 5 2012, 07:56 PM) *
So far, I know some of my possibilities could be:

Dmin7-G7-Emin7-Amin7-Dmin7-G7-C7-Amin7-Dmin7

G7-C7-E7-F7-G7

F major, F melodic minor, F lydian, F major pentatonic

Emin7-Amin7-Dmin7-G7

Those are good choices very stable! I would like you to step outside a little bit
and over G7 chord play G diminished scale
And over C7 a whole tone starting with C!
The rest you can keep but I want you to really play over those dominant chords
also another great technique to use would be Joe Pass arpeggios have you heard about it?
Let me know!

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Nov 7 2012, 06:45 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Nov 7 2012, 06:14 AM) *
The rest you can keep but I want you to really play over those dominant chords
also another great technique to use would be Joe Pass arpeggios have you heard about it?
Let me know!

I'm not familiar with Joe Pass arpeggios but would like to know more. smile.gif

Are you referring to Dominant arpeggios? The thought did cross my mind, but I have rarely used it in my own playing...yet.

I did experiment with this once over an older Sinisa collab from his scale generator. It sounded really cool and opened things up from the more straight forward pentatonic playing. Well, I'll wait to hear your thoughts and suggestions on this. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Nov 11 2012, 12:24 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Nov 7 2012, 05:45 PM) *

Are you referring to Dominant arpeggios? The thought did cross my mind, but I have rarely used it in my own playing...yet.

I did experiment with this once over an older Sinisa collab from his scale generator. It sounded really cool and opened things up from the more straight forward pentatonic playing. Well, I'll wait to hear your thoughts and suggestions on this. smile.gif

It is a combination of arpeggios played in one section of the neck! Give me a few hours to finish up the assignment and I will explain it in details! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Nov 17 2012, 03:46 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Nov 7 2012, 05:45 PM) *

So I have a new assignment for you!!!
This is a Joe Pass technique and it is very useful because you can combine different triads in any order you want!
E |----------------------------------------------------|
B |----------------------------------------------------|
G |--------------------------------------------2-------|
D |-----------------2--------4-----2--5-----4-----2----|
A |-----2--5-----3-----2--5-----3--------5-------------|
E |--3--------5----------------------------------------|

-----------------------------------------2----------|
-----------------------3-----1--5-----3--------5----|
-----4-----2--5-----4-----2--------4--------5-------|
--5-----4--------5----------------------------------|
----------------------------------------------------|

--3-----2--5-----3--7L-7----------------------------|----|
-----3--------5-------------------------------------|----|
----------------------------------------------------|----|

--------------2--5--4--------------4--5--2----------|
-----2--5--3-----------3-----2--5-----------3--5----|
--3-----------------------5-------------------------|

----------------------------------------------------|----||
-----2--4-------------------------------------------|----||
--4--------4----------------------------------------|----||
--------------5-------------------------------------|----||

Attached File  Joe_pass_style.gp5 ( 2.3K ) Number of downloads: 64

Here is the chord progression
I highlighted the chords that I would like you to play those arpeggios over
For the rest of the progression I would like you to use scales that you have suggested!
Let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything!

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:32 PM